What are you smoking or What do you enjoy smoking (Pipe & Cigar Thread)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Had a nice kristoff and gurkha whilst working on Christmas gifts in the forge this evening. Had a great time made some cool stuff.

Cigar rests are still available wink wink nudge nudge :D

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Not much of a cigar smoker, but I do love a good dark maduro a few times a year.
    Cigarette smoker since '67, but gave them up in favor of my pipes the night Clinton was elected.
    No clear reason, that's just when it happened.

I bought my first pipe in '71, which I still smoke BTW, and I have gone to just the pipes since I gave up ciggies. I tend to inhale quite a bit more than most, from being a cigarette smoker at an early age.
    My father and both my grandfathers smoked pipes. I learned a lot more than bad habits from them, though.:cool:

I have a fairly wide selection of nice pipes gathered from all the years of collecting quality items. More than half my collection is Peterson, including three "Irish Seconds" which smoke great, too.

I generally keep about ten or twelve pipes out airing and maybe three or four of those in rotation for smoking. Every so often I'll take a couple that have aired well and store them, replacing them with a couple of old friends that have been stored for a time.
    Always a fun surprise to find a pipe that I had almost forgotten about and get her back in action.

I prefer a mild aromatic mixture or a dark fired Virginia. I usually buy MacBaren blends. Seven Seas Gold is my go to, which I order by the pound.
    I also keep some exotics around for those moments when I lean that way. Often I'll mix up a small batch with some Latakia, Yenidji, dark Cavendish or Perique with my MacBaren blends.

It's an interesting thread.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Good place, was my normal stop for cigars until my work area changed. Bunch of good guys.
    I stopped in Friday evening. I didn't expect them to close so early as I would have likes to stay and have a smoke. It was busy and the ventilation was not that good.

I did buy a cigar there though.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I stopped in Friday evening. I didn't expect them to close so early as I would have likes to stay and have a smoke. It was busy and the ventilation was not that good.

I did buy a cigar there though.
    Yeah the place definitely gets smoky, I never had time to stay and smoke, just bs for a few minutes, get my sticks, and get back to work.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What is the downside to a regular cut?
    More prone to fraying, better chance of flakes of tobacco in your lips/teeth.

Vcut gives you plenty of surface area to allow a smooth full smoke little chance of rancid tastes like from a punch and no/less tobacco in lips/teeth.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    More prone to fraying, better chance of flakes of tobacco in your lips/teeth.

Vcut gives you plenty of surface area to allow a smooth full smoke little chance of rancid tastes like from a punch and no/less tobacco in lips/teeth.
    Good to know. I’m a spitter so the tobacco isn’t a huge issue what is your solution for torpedoes? I have a vcutter maybe I will give it a chance my straight cutter is getting dull anyhow. I left the lunch because got sick of having crappy draws

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Good to know. I’m a spitter so the tobacco isn’t a huge issue what is your solution for torpedoes? I have a vcutter maybe I will give it a chance my straight cutter is getting dull anyhow. I left the lunch because got sick of having crappy draws
    V-cuts work perfectly fine on torpedoes.

I would however suggest you cut across the shortest distance for best results.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Not that I really put too much weight into "Top 25" lists, as I'm sure if your company pays enough money you can make the list. But, has anyone else looked at Cigar Aficionados top 25 of 2022 that just released? Anything pop out that you strongly agree or disagree with? Anything you haven't had yet but really want to try?

For me I want to try:

- Davidoff Nicaragua
    - RP Sixty Sixty (Mainly because inhave only had one RP that I'm really fond of and the others have been very underwhelming) so I want to see if it really deserves the #2 spot.
    - AJF New World Dorado
    - EP Carillo Pledge. Been meaning to try for a while and still haven't.

The ones I disagree with:

- AB Black Market. I know a lot of people like this stick, but I just didn't care for it. I do plan on giving it another go because sometimes things change but wasn't impressed at all the first time.
    - Brickhouse. It wasn't bad by any means, and for the price point it's a good cigar....I just wouldn't say top 25, not even close.

Agree:

- LFD Oro.....anything LFD is great.
    - My Father Le Bijou....again anything My Father is fantastic.
    - Olive Series V....been hitting the list for years, for good reason it's consistently a very good smoke.
    - Padron 1964....enough said.

The others I haven't had nor really have on my list. Would love to try them all but with limited time and money I have many others I would have to get to first.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    RP Sixty Sixty (Mainly because inhave only had one RP that I'm really fond of and the others have been very underwhelming) so I want to see if it really deserves the #2 spot.
    - AJF New World Dorado
    - EP Carillo Pledge. Been meaning to try for a while and still haven't.

The ones I disagree with:

- AB Black Market. I know a lot of people like this stick, but I just didn't care for it. I do plan on giving it another go because sometimes things change but wasn't impressed at all the first time.
    - Brickhouse. It wasn't bad by any means, and for the price point it's a good cigar....I just wouldn't say top 25, not even close.
    The RP Sixty Sixty is a great stick, other RP sticks I really enjoy are the A-10, the 55, and the Cameroon. the Edge series is good, not anything outstanding to me though.

The AB Black Market, I definitely agree with you on this one, I did not enjoy that stick at all, have had plenty of other AB sticks that were really good, just not that one.

Brickhouse is pretty unspectacular. I mean I didn’t put it down halfway through but it was pretty underwhelming. I’d much rather have my cheap everyday sticks for $2 over the brickhouse.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Who has been to Blend Cigar Bar? Inhave a group of guys wanting to go soon but was curious about atmosphere and prices. Usually cigar bars have inflated prices on thier sticks which is to be expected...just want to make sure they are not like 3x normal prices or something crazy like that. Looked online and I can see food and drink prices but nothing for the cigars.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Who has been to Blend Cigar Bar? Inhave a group of guys wanting to go soon but was curious about atmosphere and prices. Usually cigar bars have inflated prices on thier sticks which is to be expected...just want to make sure they are not like 3x normal prices or something crazy like that. Looked online and I can see food and drink prices but nothing for the cigars.
    I'm not a fan. It's a bunch of rich kids spending daddy's money. Cigar selection isn't great, staff is snooty.

Nicky Blaines is my favorite. Over in fishers there's Havana cigar lounge. Nice great selection. People there clearly have cash but it's a chill spot. Staff is great. Some nights there is a dress code. No tshirts kinda deal.

Also can I go too?!

Also Incase any of y'all were missing my face. I hit Nicky's tonight.

IMG_20221219_203859_01.jpg

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I'm not a fan. It's a bunch of rich kids spending daddy's money. Cigar selection isn't great, staff is snooty.

Nicky Blaines is my favorite. Over in fishers there's Havana cigar lounge. Nice great selection. People there clearly have cash but it's a chill spot. Staff is great. Some nights there is a dress code. No tshirts kinda deal.

Also can I go too?!

Also Incase any of y'all were missing my face. I hit Nicky's tonight.

View attachment 243355
    I definitely agree NBs is a nice spot! I just really hate going downtown. Yeah I wasn't really big on the idea of going to blend when my buddies asked but I figured if the whole group wanted to go I would suck it up at try it. That being said we were supposed to go on friday night and it looks like the weather may make us cancel anyway. Which is fine by me I'd rather go to Carmacks anyway!

Let me know when you time you wanna meet there (Carmacks) i'm up for it I usually can do most week nights in the five to seven time frame. Sometimes on the weekends depending on what the wife has planned for the family.

Top Bottom