what are the best AR and pistol mag pouches?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    sorry trying to type and hold a 10 month old at the same time. should say WHAT ARE THE BEST AR AND PISTOL MAG POUCHES.

ok. I am trying to build a good shtf and all around just good plate carrier. I got a pig plate carrier from a member here and need to build on that. I know im looking at shingle mag carriers but cannot decide on what brand.
    I have looked at makers from condor to tactical tailor. but the down side is its been mostly online and not in person. I do like TT but I am not sure about the elastic instead of molle webbing. I guess im more worried it will sag or wear out fast. I looked at esstac as well and really like that but it mounts the same as TT. so what do you guys suggest and have you had any good or bad experiences with any of these?

( not 100% sure its elastic on the back of the pouch for mounting. could be just the way it looks in the picture. can any one confirm if it is or not?)

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Been looking at this same type of stuff for a "3 gun gear" situation.

Read a little but haven't had any hands on with a lot of the gear.

I've been looking at HSGI (High Speed Gear) and their reviews are always good.

Tacos Rule

:)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I love Tacos. I have 3 double deckers across the front of my PC and 2 more (along with another single rifle taco) on my belt.

HSGI stands behind their products too!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    SOE gear!! Hold both AK and AR mags.

Tacos hold ar, ak , and many more in one pouch. They have a lifetime warranty, and if you have questions they won't belittle you or put you on blast on their facebook page because you disagree with them.
    SOE does look like they make nice stuff, but I haven't bought anything from them yet because I am not a fan of their business practices. From watching their facebook posts it looks like if you have any issues they will berate you and block you from ever ordering from them again.

Phipps

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I've had good luck with Grey Ghost Gear pouches for my pistol . I ran a few Crye Precision pouches but sold them off (go used for a crazy amount on eBay). I like First Spear pouches the best so far. MRC makes excellent rifle pouches as well. I would personally avoid Condor.

TT makes great quality pouches but I had an issue with the elastic with mine and I eventually removed it because it became more of a hassle than a help. The Esstac pouches are great. I run two on my sub load.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Tacos are good, I have them and like them. If you want a really slick set-up, ten speed pouches are really good too. ITW fast mags are legit as well. Lots of good choices.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My favorite rifle pouches are HSGI Tacos because I run both an AR and AK. SOE is excellent as well, but I don't think they fit the AK mags nearly as well. And I agree with the above comment, John Willis comes off as a dick.

For a pistol, I also like Tacos but am currently using a Tactical Tailor double mag pouch the has a magnet in it to help hold the mag. Wouldn't do much good on most polymer rifle mags, but almost all quality handgun mags are steel even if they are wrapped in polymer like Glock does. You can also run them covered or open top:
    Tactical Tailor Magna Mag Double Pistol Mag Pouch

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    for the price nothing beats GI stuff. the 3 mag pouch and the double mag pouches are what I use. just put single magpul mags in the doubles, going to put elastic cord on the 3 mag pouchs to hold in the mags

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I don't have any so take my opinion for what it's worth. But I really like the looks of the tacos for rifle.

I am running a Haley Strategic D3CR so no changing things around for me.

Top Bottom