• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    A lot of us spend quite a bit of time looking for and talking about having or building supplies of handgun and rifle ammo, but what about shotshells? Generally we hear people say a good storage number is 1000 rounds per caliber. Should this same guide be used for shotshells?

Personally, I have become so caught up in my quest for .40 and .22 cal that I have totally neglected shotshells. I only have a couple of boxes of #6 and 00 left at the moment. I find my actions rather strange now that I think about it. If SHTF I would much rather have a stockpile of ammo for my Remington 870 than my MP40. I guess it's shame on me for not prioritizing my available cash. Shotshells are everywhere.

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    stash

i also believe in having tons of shot shells,people just overlook them because they are very easy to find.i also would pick an 870 over any pistol any day.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Have many thousands, .410 thru 10 ga. including 3-1/2" 12 gauge.
    Last month I scored a case of older WW 10 ga. 3-1/2" copper plated lead BB's @ $25 a box. That's not a bad deal compared to what they want for a measly 10 pack of turkey loads. 10 ga. BB's are murder on coyotes.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have 500 shotshells walmart special and 250 winchester ranger rifled slugs set back for a rainy day.... will get another 250 slugs when i have the money but that will be a while.... this is not my shooting stash just my SHTF stash... and i still feel like its not enough...... just by 1 box of 100 from walmart every pay period and you will see how quickly they add up....

FWIW i think .22's and 12guage shells will be the currency if the balloon ever does go up.... and once you get to old to really survive a situation like that you can sell them or give them to a grandson or someone else who would really enjoy your stash so its not like you will never get anything out of large stockpiles
    IGW

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I just dusted-off the 9000G the other day. My shotshell stash will be enormous soon enough... For now, I have a few hundred slugs and a few hundred 00Buck and a couple thousand #8 trap loads.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I buy shotshells anytime it's less than $5 per 25. It only seems to go that low a few times a year, so i stock up then. When sportmans warehouse closed, i think the Estate ammo got as low as $4.80 a box so i bought 1000 rounds of that. A guy in front of me bought 7000 rounds. It makes sence because it's probably the cheapest shotgun ammo i'll buy for the rest of my life. Of course, i was in line thinking i could buy a reloader for the same money.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I've never shot much shotgun and therefore not very good with one. I keep about 4-5 boxes of 12 ga for my single barrel, and about the same for a Mossberg 20 ga pump. I think what's in the back of my mind is that someone who's good with a shotgun might use it and share the bounty. :)

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have several hundred rounds each of bird/buck/slugs....but I seem to shoot it faster than I can purchase it (at least the bird shot anyways). I bought 3 or 4 packs of the WM special 100 rounds.....and went through them all last month. I really intended on keeping one box of 100 back for adding to the stock....but it was just too much fun.

I really need to concentrate on taking part of what I purchase and put it away for safe keeping!

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I had a great stock built up........and then i bought a Saiga 12.....I swear that thing eats ammo while I sleep!!!!

What is a good ratio as far as shot vs buck vs slug?

Also, for deer I like to use the Hornaday SST 12ga slugs, however at $12 for 5 it is a little steap to stock up on.

What is a good slug to stock up on?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Ive got 10 boxes of 3.5" 12ga #2 steel shot and about 100 boxes of 2.75" 7.5 shot but I lack in the high brass stuff. a few years ago I bought a case of active 3" CP #5 shot turkey loads and am almost out of it...seems they dont even make em anymore so now I gotta find a load my turkey gun likes other than the actives. also have about 15 boxes of 2.75" light field sabots and twice that many winchester super X 1oz rifled slugs. I need to start loading up on 00 buck as I only have 2 5rnd boxes of that left and some high brass game loads in 5 and 6 shot for pheasant hunting and for hunting tree rats late summer. also need to get a few more 100 pack wally world shells as doves seasons coming up and the majority of the 100 boxes I already have will be gone by seasons end....wanna burn up a ton of shells just go dove hunting and have to supply for you and your wife:)::rolleyes:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I had a great stock built up........and then i bought a Saiga 12.....I swear that thing eats ammo while I sleep!!!!

Also, for deer I like to use the Hornaday SST 12ga slugs, however at $12 for 5 it is a little steap to stock up on.

if you want slugs just for the purpose of blowing holes in stuff and your shooting a smooth bore go with the winchester super X..they are cheap and shoot pretty well out of most guns. if your shooting out of a rifled barrel and want a cheap sabot I like the brenneke KO sabots,lot cheaper than the hornady or light fields, my marlin slug gun doesnt like them to well and has expensive taste but my 870 with the rifled barrel loves the KO sabots.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I just went to the Beech Grove Walmart. They had 100 packs of 12 ga. Federal for$20.97, Winchester for $22.97, and Remington for $24.97. Probably a silly question, but is there any reason not to buy the Federal? I've used Federal high-brass in the past. Good stuff.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield

I personally have a lot more bird shot than buck or slug. I use it more, shoot clays with it, etc. Buck and Slug I rarely use, except for some practice here and there., which is good because of the cost. I use the buckshot and slug for defense only type of stockpiles, and I usually keep equal amounts of each because I alternate rounds in my firearm. First a buckshot then slug, then buckshot, then slug, etc. The buckshot doesn't require quite the precision aiming for a first shot in a tense situation and will at least knock down/stun the assailant...then I have a slug immediately as a follow up shot if necessary.

I would say I have about 5 times the birdshot as others...which can also be used in a pinch as defense rounds. So, for example, I try to keep approximately 200 rounds buck, 200 rounds slug, and 1000 bird shot. I would like to get these averages up....but I have lots of other things on the list too! :spend:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Back in the 1980's some survival mag had Ken Hackathorn write about what 3 guns a survialist needed. 10-22 rifle and "a suitcase of ammo", AR-15, and Rem 870. He recomended 100 rds buckshot and 50slugs. Don't remember how many shotshells, but he said Indians ate more small game because there was more of it. Same now. You can harvest deer, small game with the shot gun.The 870 was for this and close defense. Pistols were extra gear. Like some of you, I believe the 22lr and shot shells will be what is used/needed most in SHTF.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I just went to the Beech Grove Walmart. They had 100 packs of 12 ga. Federal for$20.97, Winchester for $22.97, and Remington for $24.97. Probably a silly question, but is there any reason not to buy the Federal? I've used Federal high-brass in the past. Good stuff.

Bump

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I too am guilty of not picking up 12ga every time i go into the store. i guess i should refocus my funds.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    My stash

12 gauge I have about 1000 or so of different bird shot/ mostly value packs from walley world. around 100 3in rifled slugs/ 50 or so OD green 00 buck
    20 guage a few hundred bird shot
    I as I type this I realize I need to start buying 4-10 I only have around 50 of those

For some reason 22lr value packs, 12 guage value packs and 20rd boxes of 223 follow me home from the store :dunno:

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Couple pallets of birdshot, several hundred of back and slugs. If you are reloading shotshells, consider reloading slugs. Better performance and lower cost.

Top Bottom