• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ggwolverines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    New Albany
    I am in the market for a new 45. I currently own a Sig P320 and a CZ P-07 duty both in 9mm. I believe I have narrowed my search down to a P320, a P220, a CZ97, a Glock 21, or a 1911.

I read through the latest 1911 thread and appreciate the comments there.

Do you have any experience with any of these? Any others I should look at?

I realize there are going to be big differences between the P320/Glock 21 and the others. A friend of mine is big into glocks, so he's trying to steer me toward the 21.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    The 21, being a double stack, can be quite thick in the grip. I would go pick on up and see if you can stand something that wide. Last time I shot one, seemed more like I was holding a Desert Eagle 50. On the plus side capacity and light weight. The Sigs will be just a little heavier (oz or two). CZ seems to be the heaviest, but I am not familiar with it past that.

The 1911 is heavy and has crappy capacity. IWB carry sucks, it will tear up your side depending on holster. Especially if you sit down and are kind of chunky. But is can have one of the nicest triggers, even just factory generic and the grip seems to be perfect or you can easily make it perfect for you and its just a good looking pistol.

Disclaimer: I own Glocks (just not the 21) and a 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 21, being a double stack, can be quite thick in the grip. I would go pick on up and see if you can stand something that wide. Last time I shot one, seemed more like I was holding a Desert Eagle 50. On the plus side capacity and light weight. The Sigs will be just a little heavier (oz or two). CZ seems to be the heaviest, but I am not familiar with it past that.

The 1911 is heavy and has crappy capacity. IWB carry sucks, it will tear up your side depending on holster. Especially if you sit down and are kind of chunky. But is can have one of the nicest triggers, even just factory generic and the grip seems to be perfect or you can easily make it perfect for you and its just a good looking pistol.

Disclaimer: I own Glocks (just not the 21) and a 1911.

What in the heck man. I IWB carry a full size 1911 daily. No damage to my person and it is easy peasy to get to if needed.
    But yes you need to right holster. And I am a bit portly myself....:):
    Capacity.....I hit exactly what I intend to hit so the capacity is of no issue to me personally. But my EDC has a 10 rd CM in it...:):

AS CZ 97 is a manly chunk of steel but a very accurate and reliable gun. I have owned several and have one at this time. 10 rounds in the stack. There are holsters out there.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What kind of trigger are you used to? SA, SA/DA or striker?

What will you be doing with this pistol. EDC, Range piece?

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    What in the heck man. I IWB carry a full size 1911 daily. No damage to my person and it is easy peasy to get to if needed.
    But yes you need to right holster. And I am a bit portly myself....:):
    Capacity.....I hit exactly what I intend to hit so the capacity is of no issue to me personally. But my EDC has a 10 rd CM in it...:):

AS CZ 97 is a manly chunk of steel but a very accurate and reliable gun. I have owned several and have one at this time. 10 rounds in the stack. There are holsters out there.

Yeah, holster didn't have covered past the slide release. Mag release, safety, grip safety, hammer, and slide serrations just seemed to chew up my side. Of course I have managed to develop a serious bruise carrying a Sig, because I wore it everyday almost non-stop. As far as capacity, I was speaking just in comparative terms. Although I tend to favor more ammo because I know one or two shots sometimes doesn't stop a threat even with .45 and I always expect more than one. All that said, I would still carry a 1911 (after I find a better holster).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm a 1911 fanboi. I will easily admit to it. I love my 1911's. I carry a compact and spare mag every day. IWB, OWB. Belt and holster are key.

With that said, my vote goes for the 1911 or the Sig (220 or 227). I don't shoot glocks well because they feel alien to me and not natural. But as always its a personal choice. Get your hands on all of them and see what you like.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What kind of trigger are you used to? SA, SA/DA or striker?

What will you be doing with this pistol. EDC, Range piece?
    You need to answer the first part for yourself.
    can you walk around with a pistol that is cocked and locked? Some can’t.
    a 1911 is going to be harder to takedown and clean., thus all of the famous scratches on them.
    Sigs are amongst the easiest to take apart and reassemble and you don’t have to shoot it in the process.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am partial to S&W and own 645, 4506 and 4513TSW, they are traditional double action and some people don't care for that. Of course if you want new just forget everything I said. Jim.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My vote would be for the G45. ;)
    I'm going with bw. :) Why switch calibers? Especially with the way the ammunition situation is today. Unless you don't have very much 9mm then I guess it wouldn't matter.

ggwolverines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    New Albany
    I'm going with bw. :) Why switch calibers? Especially with the way the ammunition situation is today. Unless you don't have very much 9mm then I guess it wouldn't matter.

I don't have a ton of 9mm, but have a set up to reload both 45 and 9. I figure having a variety of calibers is never a bad thing. That's the biggest reason I'm looking at adding a 45.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Colt 1911 then HK45. Holster selection is critical. HK holsters were very expensive and hard to find at the time. Have owned both but there may not be any HK's in the safe at this time sooo......

Bob

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't have a ton of 9mm, but have a set up to reload both 45 and 9. I figure having a variety of calibers is never a bad thing. That's the biggest reason I'm looking at adding a 45.
    That's cool. Sorry for the thread jack. I was just curious. I've personally owned both 9mm and 45acp at the same time in the past. I have nothing against .45acp. Used to own a Springfield 1911 and a S&W M&P in that caliber. I predominantly leaned toward 9mm though due to quantity of ammunition and number of firearms that I had in 9mm at the time so I just decided to consolidate with the one caliber and sold the two .45acp.

As far as which .45acp handgun I would recommend, I enjoyed both of them equally. Good luck with finding the one that's right for you.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Seems like you covered virtually every popular platform in your opening question. My .45s are a G21 and a Ruger P90. They both have entirely different manuals of arms and serve different roles for me.

The P90 is a $350 stainless knock-around gun that I handle pretty much non-stop (into vehicle, into pistol safe, out of vehicle, into house, etc, etc) so the super heavy and long DA/SA trigger and the manual safety are features I really like having, plus its stainless for all the environmental changes and valueless for the theft risks. I can't carry at work, so the best I can do most days is vehicle carry. It serves that role well.

The G21 on the other hand is just a straight up workhorse and if things ever got sour, it would be my go-to. I also prefer the Glock ergonomics (except the sponge-o-matic trigger, which can be helped). You can love or hate Glocks, but they're popular for a reason. The ready availability of relatively inexpensive (and reliable) mags is half of the attraction for me. If you can't find a 13 round G21 mag, things have gone poorly. I've considered adding a G19 to my inventory for exactly that reason too.

But... Since you're already familiar with the P320, seems like another one in a different caliber would actually make the most sense if you like your current P320.

Top Bottom