• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Got up this morning around 430 in a dark house. Turned on lights as I make my way to the kitchen, make a fancy coffee dtink, turn off all lights but my chair lamp, and start reading a book. At about 615 I glance towards the windows on the sides of the front door and see hazard lights flashing. Now I live at the end of a long driveway . You don't get to my house by accident. The house is not visible from the road and can not be seen by any of my "neighbors ". The drive is gravel and I hear people when they approach as it's dead quiet here, especially at 0600. My first thought is well they aren't hiding. My second thought is fed ex had an overnight air package coming but this is surely way too early for that. I grab the pistol off my end table and walk to the door, I flip on the front door lights and look outside to see it's my own car.

Then I make my first mistake due , I am sure, to the adrenaline. I go back to the bedroom and retrieve my car keys and I press the unlock button. This now means I have no way of telling if I locked the car or not. Then I make my second mistake, instead of swapping out the pistol in my hand for the bedside one with the guide rod laser and mounted light, I go outside with the one in my hand. I look around and seeing nothing, I open the car door and find that the hazard flasher had been physically pushed so I turn it off. I then realize I my second mistake so I go back inside and swap to the bedside pistol and head outside, walking the house perimeter, finding nothing. Returning to the car, I find nothing missing, ham radio, two radar detectors, a scanner all still there. The only conclusion I can draw at this point is when we got home last night, the wife and I both walked past the front of the car and never saw the flashers. Then we sat in the same chair I am sitting in now and never saw the flashers even after dark. Then my wife went to bed turning off all the lights, and never saw the flashers, OR there is some critter in the car somehow that depressed the hazard button this morning.

As I typed this, I realized my third mistake. ... I never turned on the security lights which light the house up like daytime, including those that are 25 yards away from the house perimeter.

Learn from my mistakes.

And did I make a 4th mistake by grabbing the bedside pistol for my perimeter check? I could have just as easily grabbed a rifle which is equipped with a flashlight that I also keep around for self defense.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah it's finished now. Once you hit post, you can't take it back.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Someone, or something, depressed the flasher button. We're taking that as fact. It can't push itself. If you and the wife are alone, there's no one else living in the house or near you, and neither of you pushed the button, then someone (other than you two) or something pushed the button.

You checked the car. The doors were closed. It's highly unlikely something (like a critter) heavy enough to depress the button would close the door (assuming you left it open). So, I'm concluding it's highly unlikely to impossible that a critter pushed the button.

As Sherlock Holmes said, eliminate all the unlikely answers and the only answer left has to be the answer: Someone pushed the button. It could be a local kid playing a prank, since nothing was taken. It could be an adult intent on harm, but that's unlikely since no attacker showed him or her self. No one was luring you out of the house to get in the house - it didn't happen.

My conclusion, local kid got a kick out of playing a prank. Your doors must have been left open.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    How long would they have been on if you or the wife pushed it when you got out of the car? Would the battery be dead?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Nah, just overnight from about 1730 to 0600. The lights were still going strong.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You got up at 4:30, did your routine, then started reading - probably by 0500, right? So you noticed the lights 1.25 hours later?

Makes sense to me that you just didn't notice them the night before.

Did you do anything differently when you got out of the car yesterday? At 1730, it is still pretty light out, so you may not have noticed. Especially if you used the fob to lock the doors, and the lights blinked.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Flashers are one of the hardest drains on a battery. I don't think that they were on all night or the battery would have been drained.

I have come to the conclusion in my life that there are some things that just don't have an answer. Those things in our life are there for a reason. They are to point us to the result of what we did or what happened because of it.

Foszoe learned some very valuable life saving skills to work on during practice drills. Practice drills are not just used at the range. They should be used at home as well. I get the eye roll from Mrs Glue sometimes when I ask her to run through the various drills we practice as a team to protect our home. She does them and thanks me afterwards that I have an ongoing training plan to keep her safe. She is also an excellent shot so if the BG gets past me and make their way to where she is in a ready position behind cover they will leave by ambulance.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Flashers are one of the hardest drains on a battery. I don't think that they were on all night or the battery would have been drained.

I have come to the conclusion in my life that there are some things that just don't have an answer. Those things in our life are there for a reason. They are to point us to the result of what we did or what happened because of it.

Foszoe learned some very valuable life saving skills to work on during practice drills. Practice drills are not just used at the range. They should be used at home as well. I get the eye roll from Mrs Glue sometimes when I ask her to run through the various drills we practice as a team to protect our home. She does them and thanks me afterwards that I have an ongoing training plan to keep her safe. She is also an excellent shot so if the BG gets past me and make their way to where she is in a ready position behind cover they will leave by ambulance.

Glue, they shouldn't be leaving in an Ambulance, the Coroner, should be picking them up .....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What kind of vehicle and or where is the flasher button located? Something falling from say the visor could have enough force to activate the button. I had an ink pen fall from a place I had it stuck up high and it hit the hazard button just right and turned it on.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Out of curiosity . When you went outside to ck perimeter , do you normally lock the house door behind you? Might put that in your plan if not. I vote for shenanigans. Too many times you should have seen the flashers sooner.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Temperature variation in the last few days near the freezing point can cause intermittent problems with vehicle electronics. My wife's truck wouldn't start the other day. 2 year old Die Hard...nothing should be wrong. But, the positive clamp has a lot of junk hanging off of it and its cycle of contraction and expansion with the temp went past a certain point when the weather was cold enough and slightly loosened. I tightened the post clamp a very small amount and the truck started right up.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
    By the men who moil for gold;
    The Arctic trails have their secret tales
    That would make your blood run cold;
    The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
    But the queerest they ever did see
    Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
    I cremated Sam McGee.

Last edited:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    resized_ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-i-m-not-saying-it-s-aliens-but-it-s-aliens-3fda19.jpg

Was I first?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Mystery solved. I had the second detector in the window when I parked. I don't usually have both up there. It hangs right above the hazard light switch. The temperature change resulted in the suction cup releasing from the windshield. Wife confirmed I hung it in the window halfway home last night. It probably fell a minute or two before I saw the lights

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Mystery solved. I had the second detector in the window when I parked. I don't usually have both up there. It hangs right above the hazard light switch. The temperature change resulted in the suction cup releasing from the windshield. Wife confirmed I hung it in the window halfway home last night. It probably fell a minute or two before I saw the lights

just what they want you to believe ....

I grab the pistol off my end table
    Then I make my second mistake, instead of swapping out the pistol in my hand for the bedside one with the guide rod laser and mounted light
    As I typed this, I realized my third mistake. ... I never turned on the security lights
    And did I make a 4th mistake ... I could have just as easily grabbed a rifle which is equipped with a flashlight

sounds like you at least need to keep a flashlight with or on the gun on your end table. every gun I have around the house intended for defense, pistol or long gun, has either a light on it (long guns) or right beside it (pistols).

-rvb

Top Bottom