• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I don't have much knowledge on well and pressure tanks but I believe my pump is kicking way too often. With a shower running at 2gpm(according to the water softener display) my pump is kicking on every 40 seconds. Then it takes less than 10 seconds to get back up to pressure and shut off. Take is 29 gal and pressure is set to 40 / 60 psi. Unfortunately I think it's been doing this for at least a month or two.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How old is the tank? Could bladder have blown?

We had a problem where it kept cycling with my irrigation Off/on all the time. Ended up doubling the heads on a zone and it fixed it.

When our RO system would only hold about 10oz water with any pressure i looked into it and the tank had gone bad. Replaced it and fine now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you dont have a new bladder based system, it could be "waterlogged".

I have to drain and pressurize mom's old school cast iron 100 gallon tank every couple years. (house built in '67)

For those systems:
    Turn off the pump
    Drain the tank completely (I use an air compressor to make it drain faster)
    close it up and turn the pump on.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    don't know how old the tank is but probably around 20-30 years old. Checked the air valve on top while the tank was full of water and only air came out. I just drained the tank of all water and no water sloshing around. However there is 0 air pressure so no I'm letting the compressor fill up so I can add some air to the tank.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In theory you just have to cork it and turn on the water. the existing air in the tank is enough.

I do leave a little pressure in it from draining with the compressor. Just buys a little more time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And if you are getting water out the schrader valve on a bladder tank, you're screwed. you need a new tank. You should only get water out on a non bladder tank.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    no water came out the schrader valve.

I thought the bladder is supposed to have a couple psi lower than the on switch point?
    My bad. I could have sworn you said you opened it until water came out. Reading comprehension fail.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I probably could've worded it better. Got the tank up 37psi air pressure. Going to wait a but before turn the pump back on to see if it leaks down any. I've been in this house 10 years and have never check the air pressure so I'm hoping it just leaked off over the years. At least the tank feels feather light with all the water out so that gives me hope :) But I'm afraid that I've shortened the life of the pump.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I probably could've worded it better. Got the tank up 37psi air pressure. Going to wait a but before turn the pump back on to see if it leaks down any. I've been in this house 10 years and have never check the air pressure so I'm hoping it just leaked off over the years. At least the tank feels feather light with all the water out so that gives me hope :) But I'm afraid that I've shortened the life of the pump.
    Do you have a gauge on the pump to verify the cut on/cut off pressure? If it does actually kick on at 40 then the bladder tank should be 38. So you are good with 37. Try to have someone run the shower and verify the points it is turning on and off.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I have to shut off the water, open the valves and put air in the bladder annually. My tank calls for 30 psi for what it's worth. My water pressure kicks on at about 40 and off in the low 50's. There has to be a way for the water to escape as you add the air to get the correct amount of air.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    yes there is a gauge and confirmed the 40/60. I also left the drain on the tank while filling with air. So far it seems to be holding air. Time to turn the pump on and see how the water pressure is.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    By your initial post, I would guess the bladder tank. We replaced ours a few years ago. It was at least 12 years old as that is how long we were in the house then, built in 1991. We upsized the size of the tank that reduces pump cycling even more. While at it, added a whole house filter and cleaned up the plumbing a bit.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    By your initial post, I would guess the bladder tank. We replaced ours a few years ago. It was at least 12 years old as that is how long we were in the house then, built in 1991. We upsized the size of the tank that reduces pump cycling even more. While at it, added a whole house filter and cleaned up the plumbing a bit.
    One of the guys at work just got a constant pressure system and loves it. Figure I'll look into one of those when the pump quits.

Top Bottom