Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    You remember the Reagan-era statement from the swamp creature who said, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you?"

I think the principle here is - just because somebody's out to get you, doesn't mean you're not a crook.

And the NRA, in court, is basically saying WLP was a crook who took from them. The organization you "don't want to burn down" is presenting themselves as victimized by him. And Wayne's not really denying it, either.

These stupid f*cks did the unpardonable: they provided Letitia James with validation. They made the "turd with a wig" look right on something.

I think we all would have loved nothing more than for turd-with-a-wig to come up with a big, fat, zero on this. Making dumbasses look right...it's not a good look.
    This.

And again, our way of fighting for our cause is to fuel the enemy.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Here are some things to ponder: will the new EVP/CEO be selected before, or after the election of this year's board members? Will it matter? Will we have ever heard of them? Maybe someone with experience in running large corporations and the NRA-ILA lead will be the face of the NRA?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Here are some things to ponder: will the new EVP/CEO be selected before, or after the election of this year's board members? Will it matter? Will we have ever heard of them? Maybe someone with experience in running large corporations and the NRA-ILA lead will be the face of the NRA?
    I think it unlikely any of the “reformers” get elected. None have before. Even if all four get elected, that is a small number on the board. So we will see what they decide to give us. They haven’t seemed that concerned with the loss of numbers in recent years. I guess they believe everyone will rush back to them with the next big scare.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Had anyone heard of WLP before he got the position?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Excellent question. I wasn't an NRA member way back then. He was an NRA-ILA lobbyist IIRC. Not sure if he was the NRA-ILA Director. If yes? Some would know of him. The Andrew guy (Operations Director) now filling the role? Never heard of him.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe someone with experience in running large corporations and the NRA-ILA lead will be the face of the NRA?

WLP seems very elusive but I suspect part of that may be that he has done little else outside the NRA. From my research into him he would have been 28 when he joined the NRA in about 1977 and worked through the ranks in just 14 years.

He grew up in Roanoke, Virginia, received a bachelor's degree from Siena College in upstate New York, and completed a master's degree in government at Boston College. He was not known as a particularly active hunter or gun enthusiast, but worked on some gun legislation when he was a young aide to a Democratic state legislator in Virginia.

I suspect this was when he made some connection to the NRA. He was a part of the leadership team that fundamentally changed the organization.

For most of its existence, the NRA supported gun control regulations that would seem strict by today's standards. “I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses,” NRA president Karl Frederick said during a Congressional hearing in the 1930s” Not: @JAL, think they are fuds now, look back then.

However, in 1977—about the time a young Wayne LaPierre became an NRA employee—a conservative faction took over NRA leadership focused on guaranteeing gun ownership as a legal right for all Americans, and not just members of a "well regulated militia" as mentioned in the Second Amendment. Under new leaders, the NRA motto was changed to: “The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed.

Like him or hate him, he is a political creature. (Which may well be why so many members didn’t like him, not their kind). The organization NEEDS a political creature, one with good instincts, one that can connect with politicians that think themselves the elite. One that knows how the swamp works.

With all the organized, well funded, attacks on the 2A, the NRA doesn’t need a bean counter, it needs a general to fight the daily battle against gun rights…

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    It will go down like this. The search committee (appointed by Charles Cotton) is going to say they looked high and low across the country, but wouldn't you know, the right guy for the job was in the building the whole time! Introducing EVP Charles Cotton!

Cue the unanimous vote by acclamation (despite loud clear NOs from a few board members) again, and the cycle starts over again...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    With all the organized, well funded, attacks on the 2A, the NRA doesn’t need a bean counter, it needs a general to fight the daily battle against gun rights…

What they need is someone with a clean image that is beyond reproach. The CEO does not have to be the one lobbying, and the NRA shouldn't be about them. They need a leader to lead the organization, not be a front man for it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What they need is someone with a clean image that is beyond reproach. The CEO does not have to be the one lobbying, and the NRA shouldn't be about them. They need a leader to lead the organization, not be a front man for it.
    Do you really think the house or senate leader of either party are taking a call from the designated lackey? I do not. It is a political organization it needs a politician first and foremost. Time is of the essence, we don’t have ten years for a new EVP to learn the lay of the land.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do you really think the house or senate leader of either party are taking a call from the designated lackey? I do not. It is a political organization it needs a politician first and foremost. Time is of the essence, we don’t have ten years for a new EVP to learn the lay of the land.

If by "politician" you mean a schemer, nah. A schemer is how we ended up in SCOTUS because the NRA schemer thought it would be good to con Trump into ordering the ATF to say bump stocks are a machine gun.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If by "politician" you mean a schemer, nah. A schemer is how we ended up in SCOTUS because the NRA schemer thought it would be good to con Trump into ordering the ATF to say bump stocks are a machine gun.
    We will never know what might have happened but we do know the bumpstock tactic stopped the momentum in congress for gun control. The NRA is already hurting it doesn’t need a local gun club guy. it is a multi-million dollar lobbying enterprise, it needs a leader that can scheme with the best in DC for us.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes. I do not think CEOs of anything make a habit of lobbying regularly. I think you ascribe these wonder powers to WLP to make yourself feel better about your support of him.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We will never know what might have happened but we do know the bumpstock tactic stopped the momentum in congress for gun control. The NRA is already hurting it doesn’t need a local gun club guy. it is a multi-million dollar lobbying enterprise, it needs a leader that can scheme with the best in DC for us.
    You are so hung up on this cult of personality. The power of the NRA lobbying has nothing to do with who is in the CEO's chair. It is about the membership(votes) and to a much lesser extent the money.

Name the CEO of the AFL/CIO, Planned Parenthood, or AARP.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You know, when an investment counselor tells you that it is ALWAYS bull****. I have no reason to believe when it is about vetting an appointee that the judgement should be any different. Anyone pushing for a fast, I’ll-conceived choice has suspect motives

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You know, when an investment counselor tells you that it is ALWAYS bull****. I have no reason to believe when it is about vetting an appointee that the judgement should be any different. Anyone pushing for a fast, I’ll-conceived choice has suspect motives
    Do you really think the house or senate leader of either party are taking a call from the designated lackey?

How much time does the board have to put leadership in place?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If we were searching the thread for an example of "1975 NRA logic," I can't think of a better one than this.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bull ****. You use “we don’t know” as a way to avoid points you can’t rebut, but then, in the same sentence claim you know something you can’t possibly know as a matter of fact.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom