• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    If the police cant come up with the video evidence, couldnt that be considered tampering with evidence and then declare the trial a mistrial?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If the police cant come up with the video evidence, couldnt that be considered tampering with evidence and then declare the trial a mistrial?

Potentially. Depends if it is materially exculpable or not.

If materially exculpable, then the case gets dismissed. If not deemed materially exculpable, then defendant needs to demonstrate bad faith by law enforcement to get it kicked.

I've had several cases kicked because of destroyed evidence.

As well, we've had long, drawn out fights with law enforcement over video in particular here in Indiana. I am optimistic that the "hide the ball" default setting in law enforcement is ending and video will be sunshine into the criminal justice process.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    in todays age, there is absolutely no reason to let the officers dictate what videos see the light of day and which ones don't.

It should be uploaded automatically via the in car network to a central database and retained for no less than 120 days.

It's not like you cant get thousands of terabytes of storage for relatively small amounts of money, especially compared to the cost of doing things manually like they are doing it today.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It should be uploaded automatically via the in car network to a central database and retained for no less than 120 days.

120 days?

And what happens when the Prosecuting Attorney files charges on day 121?:laugh:

That is exactly what they did with my kid from Indy with the car. Sheriff's policy was 180 days and then it became a cube. Prosecutor files on day 181.;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In my narrow (but deep) experience, every officer interaction should be taped (by the officer, at least), officers should have limited ability to turn the camera and mic on/off, and the recordings should be kept forever, or at least 10 years or so.

My belief is that it helps to remind the officer to behave as professionally as possible, regardless of the situation. It also rewards the officer for doing so, if his conduct is ever scrutinized.

Plenty of times in my former position, we had citizen complaints of officer's conduct. The VAST majority of the time (upwards of 90% would be my estimate), the citizen's conduct was rude/obnoxious/problematic and the officer maintained his cool. I like to think it is mostly the training the officers I worked with had, and the examples set by their superiors. But, I also have to admit that, human nature being what it is, some part of the professionalism is likely linked to being taped.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    in todays age, there is absolutely no reason to let the officers dictate what videos see the light of day and which ones don't.

It's not like you cant get thousands of terabytes of storage for relatively small amounts of money, especially compared to the cost of doing things manually like they are doing it today.

I know of at least one police department in the state that has moved to a similar practice... their dash cams are now recorded in a centralized database, as opposed to the previous method where the medium is in their cruisers.

I think it is great, but many departments do not have the funds for this type of equipment... with so many departments running understaffed, and with the call for less spending, putting expensive equipment in cruisers is a financial strain.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

It's not the officers in Seattle, but the department.

Hiding evidence is one thing, but destroying it while a case is still open is worrisome.

Is the TV station entitled to videos? That would depend. FOIA doesn't guarantee release of information for just any reason. Certainly the defendant should have access to videos of his arrest, whether they're exculpatory or not.

But hey, it's Seattle. They do things differently there. Nice place to visit...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think it is great, but many departments do not have the funds for this type of equipment... with so many departments running understaffed, and with the call for less spending, putting expensive equipment in cruisers is a financial strain.

Now, now, we've been over this. The cops are swimming in dough as I have shown over and over.

If cops do not spend for camera (shocking), it is a matter of priorities, not resources.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Now, now, we've been over this. The cops are swimming in dough as I have shown over and over.

If cops do not spend for camera (shocking), it is a matter of priorities, not resources.

Not only that, some agencies are just outright top heavy. They give take home "police cars" to people who work some desk job M-F who have no need for a 24/7 on-call emergency vehicle, but since everyone else has one, they get one. You have bloated administrations as well.

The kicking and screaming when austerity measures finally come full force in Indiana will be so dramatic, it would make for a good Lifetime movie.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I wonder how often news agencies are involved in lawsuits other than copyright and the like. Although I'm glad they're taking on the SPD, there will surely be some fallout from the suit, considering how much interaction news channels typically have with LE.

Top Bottom