• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Anyone have a good source for water storage for general gardening? Looking to store about 100 gallons with collection from a new gutter I will place on a 12x16 shed. May want to stack so that might take some options off the table for container choices. Everything I have found you can’t verify the previous contents of the container and that is a non starter.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use the plastic food grade barrels. Picked then up off Craigslist years ago. They contained peaches originally. They are 35 gallon size

I have 3 tied in series at the house and 1 on each side of the greenhouse

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    An IBC that is clean, dry and odor free wouldn't bother me for non-potable water. If you're looking at the used market you'll need to find one that was in food-grade service. They seem to be harder to find in this area.

For general service, cleaning certificates usually only show the last contained material prior to the most recent wash. You might find the rare certificate that shows the last three prior products. Regardless, unless the seller did the cleaning at a licensed tank wash they may not have a cleaning cert at all. Even if they claim the tank was in dedicated service it might be tough to confirm that.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Might look here. Their inventory goes in and out of stock on a regular basis so you may need to call. Should at least give you a reference point for pricing.

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Another option depending on your situation. There was a shallow well on our property about 70 feet from the garden. I ran an underground line to the garden with spigots along one side of the garden and continued the underground line to the back yard. Was a small project doing the work (about 10 years ago) but I’m glad I did it. No dragging hoses or worry about water supply. Only upkeep is winterizing the lines as they are only about 30” deep. Have a low point drain valve for draining the water in the fall then blow out the lines and add a little RV antifreeze.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I am in town and we have ordinances that stop wells. They use the excuse they don’t have the people to police non-potable use so they just ban them outright.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I scored a 535-gallon poly tank at about half it's retail price, since it was a discontinued item at a Rural King. I also have a 250-gallon fiberglass tank and several plastic 55-gallon drums. I collect rain water off of my shingle roof, and have for many years. Garden plants love the rain water.

I had well water originally, and when we got city water some years ago, I kept my well, so I have basically three water sources.

Lj429

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    Wheatfield
    These are some great ideas, I’ve also been thinking about water storage and rain collection and even possibly adding a shallow well.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I too am interested in storing rainwater for my small garden. Has anyone here had any experience with one of these folding rain barrels?

1689888744605.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Build a cistern in the ground.
    Pour 8" reinforced concrete floors, walls, and top. 10' L x10' W 10' H will give you a lot of water and it will stay good for a very long time.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Pour 8" reinforced concrete floors, walls, and top. 10' L x10' W 10' H will give you a lot of water and it will stay good for a very long time.
    I have a deep well, and a cistern with a hand pump or lower drain pipe is an idea going around in my head. Currently when the power goes out my well needs a generator and I would like water without it or the need to filter surface water.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a deep well, and a cistern with a hand pump or lower drain pipe is an idea going around in my head. Currently when the power goes out my well needs a generator and I would like water without it or the need to filter surface water.
    When no power I just drop a 2.5 gallon bucket into the cistern and draw out what I need to cook, flush, wash with.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    If you’re doing this, make it a little bigger and you’ll have your underground WSHTF bunker.

Top Bottom