• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Have a naughty water heater that is 17 years old. Needs to be replaced. Quote to do so makes me think the plumber is on drugs. How difficult are these to replace, really, for a diy? 50 gallon electric. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have replaced faucets, fixtures, toilets, etc, but never a water heater. Or is there someone here thats not on drugs/would need me to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay them, that would want some cash side work?

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Have a naughty water heater that is 17 years old. Needs to be replaced. Quote to do so makes me think the plumber is on drugs. How difficult are these to replace, really, for a diy? 50 gallon electric. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have replaced faucets, fixtures, toilets, etc, but never a water heater. Or is there someone here thats not on drugs/would need me to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay them, that would want some cash side work?

I think anyone that can turn a wrench can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Something like this:
    Shut off the breaker
    Disconnect the power
    Shut off the water
    Remove the water lines
    Drain the tank
    Drag old out
    Drag new in
    Connect water lines and power
    Turn on water and breaker

Most likely you will need to adjust the waterlines to connect to the new tank. New 1 always seems to be taller/shorter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :popcorn:

I am always amused when folks get pricing to have outsiders come in and do some work for them.
    The water heater is probably $500 if they have increased along with lumber.....:):

I could be wrong as I have not priced one in a while.

question, is it leaking or just not heating.....????
    Have you ever drained/flushed it....????
    Have you ever changed the Anod rod in the tank....????
    Where is Geographical oddity located...????

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you don't mind sharing, how much was the quote?

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    i'm not a fan of calling people in, myself. In 17 years of living here, I believe I have had to call the AC repair guy 3 times. But I also don't like getting in over my head. Small leak from the top cover on the front...thermostat box area. Still heats fine. Never done anything to it, just always cranks along...well until now. Yeah, 50 gallon replacement from Lowes is under $500. Got quoted at almost $3k. I'm in Whitestown

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i'm not a fan of calling people in, myself. In 17 years of living here, I believe I have had to call the AC repair guy 3 times. But I also don't like getting in over my head. Small leak from the top cover on the front...thermostat box area. Still heats fine. Never done anything to it, just always cranks along...well until now. Yeah, 50 gallon replacement from Lowes is under $500. Got quoted at almost $3k. I'm in Whitestown
    OK thats theft.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Did the quote come with dinner and Vaseline

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Tankless if I may?

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Agree. They wanted $135 for a drain pan to put under it. I about laughed him out of my house. Tried to blame it on shortages, but oddly I found them in stock locally at all the big box hardware stores.
    Water heaters and supplies are also available at Tractor supply store. Drain pan for under $30

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central

Is it in a tough spot to get to? Lots of stuff to work around?

That price is insane, maybe the plumber really doesn’t want to do it so he priced it in a way that will make it well worth his time. Not saying this is right but we all know it happens.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Is it in a tough spot to get to? Lots of stuff to work around?

That price is insane, maybe the plumber really doesn’t want to do it so he priced it in a way that will make it well worth his time. Not saying this is right but we all know it happens.

Easy to get to, nothing in the way. In the same room with the washer, dryer, and furnace, right next to the door to go outside to the garage. Not worried about that part, just flooding the house if I do it wrong.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I replaced my water heater 5 yr ago 40 gal gas was $450 at lowe’s and then I had it installed for $300 and I thought that was bad ! I did have to call around because prices for installation were all over the place .

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I was once quoted (by a licensed Kokomo plumber) $700 JUST TO INSTALL a wh in 2013. I already had the thing. It was the most straightforward install you would ever see. I told the dude to GTFO. He tried to hand me a bill for $75 estimate...AFTER telling me 700 was the standard rate...meaning he could have told me this over the phone and only came to my house so he could charge me if (WHEN) I didn't hire him. I wadded it up and tossed it back at him and told him to sue me.
    I was livid. I never heard anything from him.

If you look around you can find a handyman...look for someone moonlighting that does aparment or MHP maintenance for a day job.

Top Bottom