• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    So, I've been looking at the Katadyn Pocket filter as a SHTF option for filtering water: Products - Katadyn Products Inc.

This is the $250 one with the silver-impregnated ceramic filter that is said to be good for 10,000+ gallons. I know there are cheaper products, but I like the "it will last forever" reviews it seems to have on all the online merchants' websites.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have this model? If so, is it as rock solid as it is said to be?

2. The literature says it doesn't filter viruses and the product video shows people going up to streams, pumping away and drinking happily. How in the heck do you know if the water has a virus or not? In a hard core SHTF situation, would I have to use this, then boil the water afterward to kill the virus or just drop in some bleach or purification tablets?

I was weighing the option of buying this versus getting the camp/gravity bag and a Vario, but it seemed more people expressed doubt about the efficacy of those products than the Pocket filter.

Please lay the knowledge on me my INGO brothers!

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I don’t have any experience with the model you are asking about, but I do have experience with the Katadyn Mini. I bought the Mini for hiking/backpacking when I was living in Southern Africa. The filter felt a little cheap when I first got it, but it stood up to a lot of abuse. Based on that, I think the filter you are asking about would be pretty solid.

As to the option of getting a smaller hand held filter to complement a gravity based system, it depends on what type of SHTF scenario you are preparing for. In a long-term situation, where you have a permanent/semi-permanent shelter, having to hand pump water every day could waste a lot of time and become tedious, not to mention leaving you vulnerable at water’s edge for a fair amount of time. In a long-term situation, I would definitely add a gravity-based system. If, however, you plan on being perpetually on the move, a single hand held filter would be best.

When I was in Southern Africa, I had a Berkey Stainless Steel gravity filter for everyday use. I always boiled my water in the evening, let it cool overnight, and put it through the filter in the morning. I never boiled my water while hiking, and I never got sick. I knew a couple of people who never filtered or boiled, and they ended up with giardia.

Tokter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    @2. Sounds like you have to treat it after filtering the water if you want to kill all viruses.

Viruses – minute parasites with unpleasant effects.
    Viruses can only reproduce within living cells because they have no

metabolism of their own. Their tiny size makes it hard to filter them out the
    water by mechanical means. For this purpose, filters with pore sizes smaller
    than 0.02 microns are necessary. But viruses
    are sensitive to heat and chemical
    disinfectants. In turbid water, they are
    typically attached to particles and can
    therefore be all but completely removed by
    filters with pore sizes up to 0.2 microns. But
    to play it safe, it is always advisable to
    additionally sanitise the filtered water.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have a Katadyn (vario,I posted the results of using it in the 16 days of camping thread)and I do not like it.The Sawyer filters last MUCH longer and with less work/maintenance to get your water.The Sawyer is not cheap,but less than your Katadyn.They are also guaranteed for 1 million gallons.
    Sawyer® Products - The Leader in Outdoor Protection
    We picked up one of these--> [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP194-Complete-Purifier-Removal/dp/B001CA9PQW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298647842&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Sawyer SP194 Complete 4 Liter Water Purifier System with .02 Micron Removal Rate: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

This is also the only filter made that mechanically can eliminate some Viruses
    I also later learned they sell the bottle version at Wal-Mart for $34.00.I contacted there customer support to ask why it was only rated at 500 gallons instead of there normal 1 million gallon guarantee.

The email I got back was hilarious.That is how long the filter will last in poor quality water with 0 maintenance(back flushing).It is the exact same filter they use in there other systems,but they worried about lawsuits from people who could not understand the proper way to maintain there filters,so they put the 500 gallon warranty on them.

In short you can pick up a great filter for $34.00 and use your own camel pack(it even comes with the hoses and clips to hook it to your own bladder).
    Walmart.com: Sawyer Inline Water Filter with 34-Ounce Bottle: Camping

There is ONE differnence between the $34.00 and the 200 dollar one I posted.The 34 only goes down to .1 micron,the 200 .02 micro.Both would get you potable water.Here is the .1 micron filter with the bag system [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP184-Complete-Treatment-Removal/dp/B001CABG3W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1298648429&sr=8-7[/ame] You can use your own bags and save $100(it is $129.00)by getting the exact same filter in the wally world bottle.

Also of note.You can put the filter inline from a bladder,and just drink as you need it.So it is very versatile and flexible.The Waly world bottle even comes with everything you need to set it up as an inline filter.Includes:
    • 0.1 Micron Absolute Hollow Fiber Membrane Inline Filter
    • 34-oz. polycarbonate bottle with convenient flip-top cap (weighs 7.5 oz.)
    • Twp extra drinking straws
    • Twp stainless-steel hose clamps
    • Tube re-connector
    • Tube adapter
    • Detailed instruction sheet

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    when hiking I just use the aquamira emergency straw filters, work great and haven't fallen ill yet. they also are super small and lightweight.

car53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Bloomington
    I used one during some back packing in Colorado. It was our only source of drinking water for almost a week. Worked great but it is expensive. Really all of the expense is in the filter itself... I think they are well over $100

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    We have a Katadyn (vario,I posted the results of using it in the 16 days of camping thread)and I do not like it.The Sawyer filters last MUCH longer and with less work/maintenance to get your water.The Sawyer is not cheap,but less than your Katadyn.They are also guaranteed for 1 million gallons.
    Sawyer® Products - The Leader in Outdoor Protection
    We picked up one of these--> Amazon.com: Sawyer SP194 Complete 4 Liter Water Purifier System with .02 Micron Removal Rate: Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is also the only filter made that mechanically can eliminate some Viruses
    I also later learned they sell the bottle version at Wal-Mart for $34.00.I contacted there customer support to ask why it was only rated at 500 gallons instead of there normal 1 million gallon guarantee.

The email I got back was hilarious.That is how long the filter will last in poor quality water with 0 maintenance(back flushing).It is the exact same filter they use in there other systems,but they worried about lawsuits from people who could not understand the proper way to maintain there filters,so they put the 500 gallon warranty on them.

In short you can pick up a great filter for $34.00 and use your own camel pack(it even comes with the hoses and clips to hook it to your own bladder).
    Walmart.com: Sawyer Inline Water Filter with 34-Ounce Bottle: Camping

There is ONE differnence between the $34.00 and the 200 dollar one I posted.The 34 only goes down to .1 micron,the 200 .02 micro.Both would get you potable water.Here is the .1 micron filter with the bag system Amazon.com: Sawyer SP184 Complete 4 Liter Water Treatment System with .10 Micron Removal Rate: Patio, Lawn & Garden You can use your own bags and save $100(it is $129.00)by getting the exact same filter in the wally world bottle.

Also of note.You can put the filter inline from a bladder,and just drink as you need it.So it is very versatile and flexible.The Waly world bottle even comes with everything you need to set it up as an inline filter.Includes:
    • 0.1 Micron Absolute Hollow Fiber Membrane Inline Filter
    • 34-oz. polycarbonate bottle with convenient flip-top cap (weighs 7.5 oz.)
    • Twp extra drinking straws
    • Twp stainless-steel hose clamps
    • Tube re-connector
    • Tube adapter
    • Detailed instruction sheet

Great info. Thanks:yesway:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I bought the monolithic .02 micron ceramic filter and love it. (and it lasts forever $39.50 gets you a spigot and filter sock to fit over it)
    Now that your thread made me look up the website to make a link I notice that I cannot find the .02 filter. I can find a .2 and a .5 but not the .02? The paper work that came with it says .02 so I'm now wondering if they discontinued it or more likely than that they probably got some test results back saying that it wasn't in fact .02. If anyone hears anything let me know.
    Monolithic Marketplace — Just Water, Ceramic .2 Filter

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I just picked up a Sawyer filter bottle at County Line Walmart for $30:rockwoot: Can't wait to try it out.
    I know this is going to sound dumb.But the easiest way to back flush it is with one of those baby ear and nose blue squeeze balls.Like this one Hospital's Choice Nasal Aspirator - Safety 1st - Babies "R" Us You can pick them up almost anywhere.Make sure you use already clean water when back flushing.

Hope you enjoy your new filter :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought the monolithic .02 micron ceramic filter and love it. (and it lasts forever $39.50 gets you a spigot and filter sock to fit over it)
    Now that your thread made me look up the website to make a link I notice that I cannot find the .02 filter. I can find a .2 and a .5 but not the .02? The paper work that came with it says .02 so I'm now wondering if they discontinued it or more likely than that they probably got some test results back saying that it wasn't in fact .02. If anyone hears anything let me know.
    Monolithic Marketplace — Just Water, Ceramic .2 Filter

I agree they are a great filter if you do not need high portability.We picked one up in 2008.I think it was around 18 dollars then....pre-printing press era.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Soooo....

Water Purification Guru's what is the best inline filter to run on a CamelBak drinking straw?! Think small, compact, and efficient. Currently I am using the Camelbak inline filter and having good success with it. Wanting something smaller though.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have a couple of the General Ecology First Need water purifiers with a few spare filters. They sure clean the blue dye out of the water when you test them. They are supposed to take out viruses, but I do not think that is the most important function of a water purifier. It does not have the capacity of some of the others, but seems to be a fairly well built unit and is easy to operate in my opinion.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Soooo....

Water Purification Guru's what is the best inline filter to run on a CamelBak drinking straw?! Think small, compact, and efficient. Currently I am using the Camelbak inline filter and having good success with it. Wanting something smaller though.
    The Sawyer I posted about would work beautifully for this.Just hook it up at the base not end of your straw,you will never even know it is there.

Architect

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    I have a Katadyn Pocket Filter that I bought during the lead up to Y2K. I haven't used it much during the past 12 years, but its a heavy / solid piece of kit. You do have to be careful to NOT crack the ceramic element.

My "training filter" is a Katadyn Hiker Pro. In fact, my wife's filter is also a Hiker.

For reference, I paid over $200 for the Pocket filter in 1999.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    The Sawyer I posted about would work beautifully for this.Just hook it up at the base not end of your straw,you will never even know it is there.

I wondered about that. Do you have first hand experience with it? Curious to know how hard it is to draw from the drinking tube and bite valve with one of the Sawyer filters in-line.

Top Bottom