• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So have a safe in the barn, I am wanting to keep something out there for that just in case moment. We seem to be getting a higher than normal amount of venomous snakes this year. So I was looking to keep a shotgun out there, I came across a Tolkarev Turkish made one very similar to the Mossberg Retro Grade shotgun for around $250.00 anyone have any experience with them?

thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    ok you are In Tennessee.

Snakes with poison not common in Indiana. Now everyone will tell you they have copperheads and rattlesnakes right up to the chicago line in Indiana.

If that shotgun is the one I saw that looked like an 1897 riot gun it should be fine. Turkish walnut with no checkering. Parkerized finish was ok. Had dual action bars. I think that shop had another version but I only looked at the riot version.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    ok you are In Tennessee.

Snakes with poison not common in Indiana. Now everyone will tell you they have copperheads and rattlesnakes right up to the chicago line in Indiana.

If that shotgun is the one I saw that looked like an 1897 riot gun it should be fine. Turkish walnut with no checkering. Parkerized finish was ok. Had dual action bars. I think that shop had another version but I only looked at the riot version.
    That’s what I thought about the snakes we lost a registered Doe a while back that was $2500.00 gone in short order. We had a Necropsy done, as she was healthy and had no symptoms prior to death.

I did notice a they had a marine version out as well, thinking I might just go with the black version. I just don’t want to spend a lot for a barn gun.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If you were here in Indiana, there is an old .410 single shot for sale in the classifieds, wish I had the extra money to buy it....

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Bolt action clip fed shotguns can be had pretty cheaply.
    Wow never knew there was such a thing. Thanks for sharing I learned something new. Looks like there were some nice looking ones with wood stocks.
    Mossberg made a quality line of these, can be found easily for under 200.

Oftentimes I have been able to find old single shot shotguns for around 100, I love the simplicity and balance, and they're of a quality where I don't mind if they get dinged up. Way off topic but wanted to offer an alternative.
    It’s what we keep in both barns with a elastic 5 round holder on the stock, about 100 bucks.

Hard to beat this right here.

And they are cheaper than the one you mentioned in the OP.

View attachment 223700

Just in case you haven't seen this yet....

Can’t be beat for price and versatility. Good luck with your decision.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ok you are In Tennessee.

-Snip-
    I grew up in Jasper County in NW Indiana and in past times there were more copperheads in the area.

Through the years in genealogy looking through old local papers going back to the early 1900's I'd see stories in passing of people being bitten by copperheads.
    I EVEN remember a story of a little girl being bitten by a copperhead in their yard and died.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Might I recommend the lesser known Winchester Model 140 shotgun. It is a semi-auto with Win-choke screw in chokes. Picked mine up for $259.00 on GB. Great inexpensive shotguns that for me function well. Just a thought.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What I've been seeing online that is correct. 500 and 590 furniture will fit the maverick 88.
    Thanks Bigtanker.
    I think the two main differences are the 500 has the tang safety and uses a dual action bar. The 88 has a trigger guard safety and a single action bar. Other than that, pretty much the same gun.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    ok you are In Tennessee.

There are (or were) several venom's snakes in Indiana! Several years ago my BIL had a snake that lived in his barn near Delphi. Sister was not fond of the Idea but he said it kept the rats population down.

Came a day his teen-aged son caught the snake and took it to his high school Biology class for show and tell. The teacher confiscated the snake and drove to BIL's house - captured several young snakes and informed my BIL they were Copperheads!

Sister allowed NO snakes on the property after that.

Also I have ran into one Copperhead on my Aunts farm in the woods near Lake Village (dispatched it) back in the 1950's - Also found a couple of Water moccasins in a ditch where we picked Asparagus in the same time period, near DeMotte.

Found one very small Eastern rattle snake near a railroad in Roselawn in the 50's. As these were all in the 50's and 60's (I am 81) you may be right as to today - don't know!

Top Bottom