• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't care if the bar code only has the info that is on the front of my license. The reality is, depending upon the item purchased, the retailer may need to verify age. They don't need my height, weight, etc. I don't accept my license being scanned. I have, and will continue to walk away from the purchase. Data has become cheap to store. But no large corporation is going to capture and store worthless data. There's a reason Acme Widget Co. wants to scan my license. I don't care what their reason is.

My guess is it's more about liability, as fines for selling to underage buyers are fairly punitive for the business.

Forcing the clerk to scan the ID card forces the clerk to actually verify the person is 18/21 without doing any sort of math and without taking an obvious forgery. It also takes the social pressure off them for the 'I forgot my ID, I swear I'm 21 Mr. Fellow Adult" buyer, since the transaction can't go forward without the scan it's out of their decision making ability to continue.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong to avoid having yours scanned, just saying I think you're overestimating the desire to know what people self-reported their height/weight to be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My guess is it's more about liability, as fines for selling to underage buyers are fairly punitive for the business.

Forcing the clerk to scan the ID card forces the clerk to actually verify the person is 18/21 without doing any sort of math and without taking an obvious forgery. It also takes the social pressure off them for the 'I forgot my ID, I swear I'm 21 Mr. Fellow Adult" buyer, since the transaction can't go forward without the scan it's out of their decision making ability to continue.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong to avoid having yours scanned, just saying I think you're overestimating the desire to know what people self-reported their height/weight to be.
    Personal data is VERY valuable. Especially marketing data.

The CEO of Visio Electronics said the quiet part out loud several years ago during an interview. "Honestly, we only make smart TVs now because of the amount of data we can harvest from their usage. If we released a regular TV I'd estimate we would have to mark it up an additional $200 or so because that is what we would be losing on the back end from the data we sell." (paraphrased)

There is a reason you can buy that smart TV for a fraction of the cost of the dumb TVs from years back. And its not just because the materials have gotten cheaper.

EDIT: I dont have any belief that my data is in any way special. Its just more than they need for the transaction. And I also dont use a rewards card when purchasing the alcohol either since generally speaking they cant require those cards to get a sale price on alcohol.

Lpherr

Occupied

The CEO of Visio Electronics said the quiet part out loud several years ago during an interview. "Honestly, we only make smart TVs now because of the amount of data we can harvest from their usage. If we released a regular TV I'd estimate we would have to mark it up an additional $200 or so because that is what we would be losing on the back end from the data we sell." (paraphrased)

There is a reason you can buy that smart TV for a fraction of the cost of the dumb TVs from years back. And its not just because the materials have gotten cheaper.

EDIT: I dont have any belief that my data is in any way special. Its just more than they need for the transaction.
    Couldn't the wifi just be turned off? It can't send anything if it isn't connected to the web. I'm sure that's why they encourage you to "update" your device.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Couldn't the wifi just be turned off? It can't send anything if it isn't connected to the web. I'm sure that's why they encourage you to "update" your device.
    Yes. I havent had the need to purchase a TV since they went smart. That is what I would do.

On a related note, at least Samsung has kill switches in their smart TVs. When that had that huge riot in South Africa a handful of years ago a warehouse was looted. And Samsung knew exactly which TVs were in that warehouse. So they updated the back end system and bricked every stolen TV that came online. :lmfao:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not sure they would actually do it, but there is also a low data wireless chipset that uses cell towers to send small amounts of data as well. I believe the basic Kindle Ereaders utilized them. I think they called it whispernet. But it was 3G and those towers are gone. I could see somebody else doing something similar for 5G.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Not sure they would actually do it, but there is also a low data wireless chipset that uses cell towers to send small amounts of data as well. I believe the basic Kindle Ereaders utilized them. I think they called it whispernet. But it was 3G and those towers are gone. I could see somebody else doing something similar for 5G.
    They certainly fast-tracked and pushed 5G hard.... for some reason.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I get marketing data. I get tracking what you bought, what day of the week, how much you spend, etc. I get gathering group data that if X product went up 10 cents, which customers didn't alter behaviors. I get all that.

Walk me through the value of self reported height/weight.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Does scanning a Indiana DL tell them your name address, license number and basically everything they need to steal your ID minus social security number?

Does it also tell them you have a carry permit? Because a State Trooper knew I had a valid permit just by seeing it when he scanned my DL. Or was it running my registration/tags?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Directly answering, yes.

I understand the concern for privacy fully, but when they asked for a driver's license you should have just denied it and left to go buy some ammo from an online competitor.

People working in service jobs really shouldn't be treated as if they're responsible for some corporate *******'s policies. Dealing with the general public is enough of a curse as it is.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does scanning a Indiana DL tell them your name address, license number and basically everything they need to steal your ID minus social security number?

Does it also tell them you have a carry permit? Because a State Trooper knew I had a valid permit just by seeing it when he scanned my DL. Or was it running my registration/tags?
    Again:
    I'm not saying you're right or wrong to avoid having yours scanned, just saying I think you're overestimating the desire to know what people self-reported their height/weight to be
    As far as LTCH, no. That's not in your license or at the BMV. It's in an ISP database.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    As far as LTCH, no. That's not in your license or at the BMV. It's in an ISP database.
    Are license plates on cars tied to the ISP database? As in, an officer that pulls a car over would know from the car's tags that the owner has an ltch? Obviously any body could be driving the car, I'm just curious if the officer would know simply from the tags that the owner has ltch.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Again:

Don't understand the again.
    I was asking if all your personal information was on the scan to whomever scanned it such as name address dln etc.

So the trooper accessed their data base to know if I had a permit back then. I always wondered how he knew I had one. I forgot my wallet at home. He just ran my tags as far as knew, and got all that information.
    Thanks for filling in the blank.
    He was very kind and professional that trooper.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I get marketing data. I get tracking what you bought, what day of the week, how much you spend, etc. I get gathering group data that if X product went up 10 cents, which customers didn't alter behaviors. I get all that.

Walk me through the value of self reported height/weight.
    Just more data points. Its valuable to somebody.

As a specific point, IDGAF if they know my height/weight. My beef is that they have anything more than DOB. Full stop.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And if you want to use a loyalty card like Meijer and get money back in exchange for your tracking, more power to ya. What do I get for that scan?

Bupkis. Nada. Zilch. Zero. So F right off. :lmfao:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are license plates on cars tied to the ISP database? As in, an officer that pulls a car over would know from the car's tags that the owner has an ltch? Obviously any body could be driving the car, I'm just curious if the officer would know simply from the tags that the owner has ltch.

With the current CAD system, yes assuming the trooper runs the plate prior to the stop. With the older system it took an extra step.

Top Bottom