Warrants to "sneak & peak" in your home while you are away -- without your knowledge

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    This is a no new news thread. They have been executing these types of warrents for 100 years. So what? They are warrants sworn out with probable cause and searches performed well within the limitations of the 4th Amendment.

On one hand you hate warrantless searches performed in violation to the 4th Amendment. Me too. Do you hate lawfully-executed searches as well?

If you are worried about it just get a video video cameras and point one at each door. Get the kind that don't start recording unless something has changed. You can also wire your doors to kick it on. Stream the feed to an internet-based server.

I just wish they would run the vacuum or maybe do some dishes while they're here. My socks need paired too.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    This is a no new news thread. They have been executing these types of warrents for 100 years. So what? They are warrants sworn out with probable cause and searches performed well within the limitations of the 4th Amendment.

On one hand you hate warrantless searches performed in violation to the 4th Amendment. Me too. Do you hate lawfully-executed searches as well?

If you are worried about it just get a video video cameras and point one at each door. Get the kind that don't start recording unless something has changed. You can also wire your doors to kick it on. Stream the feed to an internet-based server.

I just wish they would run the vacuum or maybe do some dishes while they're here. My socks need paired too.

If they want to execute a lawful warrant, fine. At least have the balls to do it when I'm home. Don't wait until I leave and then, without my knowledge, sneak into my home and go through my things. It very well may be hazardous to their health---if I come home and there are persons in my home who I don't know, you can imagine what will happen.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you are wanting a dog for protection look at German Shepherds, Rotties, and Pinchers. If you want a big ol' lap dog that would rather lick than bite, come meet my Pities.

Someone should tell that to my GSD. I swear when he's barking at the people walking by he's not saying, "Stay the heck outta my family's home" but "Please come play with me so I can run and jump and lick your face."

For me the problem is two-fold. Transparency. If it's legal, be upfront and forthright about it. But the status of legal is becoming broader and broader. We are a stone's throw from eliminating the requirement of warrant/consent/PC/exigent circumstances for entry into homes.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Anyone that would enter a residence without perimeter security is an idiot.

I agree, it certainly isn't something I would do...but somehow I can see the other side to this. I'm not a fan of "No Knocks" or cops just coming on in when you're home, escalating or provoking a violent reaction, so maybe if they came in to a meth lab when no one was home, the dealer and the cops both get to live if the cops don't interact with someone during the search or seizure.

As long as they have a legal warrant, and have the right address, I really don't think I have a problem with this. I'd rather have it done this way than have them barge into a home filled with kids and a criminal parent, only to have the family and a couple of cops shot during the search. I don't like people snooping around, but like I said, if we're talking about legal warrants that specify what they're looking for and what they plan to seize, then I think I'm good with this.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I agree, it certainly isn't something I would do...but somehow I can see the other side to this. I'm not a fan of "No Knocks" or cops just coming on in when you're home, escalating or provoking a violent reaction, so maybe if they came in to a meth lab when no one was home, the dealer and the cops both get to live if the cops don't interact with someone during the search or seizure.

As long as they have a legal warrant, and have the right address, I really don't think I have a problem with this. I'd rather have it done this way than have them barge into a home filled with kids and a criminal parent, only to have the family and a couple of cops shot during the search. I don't like people snooping around, but like I said, if we're talking about legal warrants that specify what they're looking for and what they plan to seize, then I think I'm good with this.

I can still see it going wrong in a million ways. It has a lot of the same flaws as "No-Knocks" .... technically they are actually "No-Knocks." And I'm sure they are still coming in with guns drawn, even if they didn't use a battering ram to knock down your front door. Pretending to be James Bond in a home that possibly has people inside. You step out of bed with a golf club and you'll be executed in your hallway.

How are police to be sure the house is empty? What if you leave your kid home alone and some guy starts breaking in, picking locks, opening windows, whatever? What if your wife is in the shower, home alone, and comes out to find some dude creeping around, dressed like a tacticool ninja? Or when the home invader is discovered by an armed resident? Confrontations are bound to happen, and will likely not end well. Not to mention how many instances we've come across of raids being performed on the wrong address. I think they should just knock on the door and serve the warrant like men.

And the application of these warrants is appalling. Using them for tax return errors and drug 'suspects' is just disturbing to me. Frankly I don't trust them with spying on "terror suspects" either. Maybe they feel like coming in and checking out what kind of arsenal one of us has, due to all the extreme government-fearing language that goes on around here. I don't trust them. These things scare me.

And how about dishonest cops? There's nothing easier than stealing from people who never knew you were there. The whole thing is too ripe for abuse and tragic mistakes.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The New Peace Officers

burglar-01-af.jpg

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    If they want to execute a lawful warrant, fine. At least have the balls to do it when I'm home. Don't wait until I leave and then, without my knowledge, sneak into my home and go through my things. It very well may be hazardous to their health---if I come home and there are persons in my home who I don't know, you can imagine what will happen.
    I would say not much. I would be willing to bet that if someone is inside that there will be officers outside as well, so you wouldn't be walking in on them inside your house blindly.
    Now, if your sitting on your couch and they come sneaking in the back door, that's a different story!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    For me the problem is two-fold. Transparency. If it's legal, be upfront and forthright about it. But the status of legal is becoming broader and broader. We are a stone's throw from eliminating the requirement of warrant/consent/PC/exigent circumstances for entry into homes.

Hey, would it be OK if I came in and put a microphone in your lamp so I can listen to your criminal activities for which there is a warrant?

I'm not sure that transparency applies in all contexts. I'm also quite sure that these types of warrants are only served in certain situations. I'm quite certain if I saw a po-po climbing in my neighbor's window I'd let him know when he got home. If is wasn't a po-po I'd call them.

I guess I don't know how much of this is something to actually be concerned about or how much is Internet hysteria.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I would say not much. I would be willing to bet that if someone is inside that there will be officers outside as well, so you wouldn't be walking in on them inside your house blindly.
    Now, if your sitting on your couch and they come sneaking in the back door, that's a different story!

Let's attack it from a different angle. You come home at night after a long day of work, and are accosted by armed men in your yard. It WILL end badly---by the time I determine they are the police, my firearm will be drawn, and they will have shot me. :twocents:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I believe they are in many circumstances to plant listening devices. Doing that with you there watching would be kind of silly. It is also a very expensive long term investigation. I have my doubts that most of you desperados are engaged in anything serious enough for them to put that much time and money into investigating you. I could be wrong though...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

What this guy said.

Let's attack it from a different angle. You come home at night after a long day of work, and are accosted by armed men in your yard. It WILL end badly---by the time I determine they are the police, my firearm will be drawn, and they will have shot me. :twocents:

If I come home from night after a long day at work and I cannot properly identify uniformed Police Officers or members of whatever "alphabet agency" (by the bright gold lettering on their backs), maybe I shouldn't be carrying a gun. You need to be able to see what you are shooting at. I know that I would be able to identify someone as an Officer or an Agent way before I could be certain that it was NOT my neighbor walking over to show me his new AR :twocents:

I believe they are in many circumstances to plant listening devices. Doing that with you there watching would be kind of silly. It is also a very expensive long term investigation. I have my doubts that most of you desperados are engaged in anything serious enough for them to put that much time and money into investigating you. I could be wrong though...

:patriot: :ingo: :rockwoot: :laugh: :rockwoot: :draw: :rockwoot: :laugh: :rockwoot: :ingo: :patriot:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Hey, would it be OK if I came in and put a microphone in your lamp so I can listen to your criminal activities for which there is a warrant?

I'm not sure that transparency applies in all contexts. I'm also quite sure that these types of warrants are only served in certain situations. I'm quite certain if I saw a po-po climbing in my neighbor's window I'd let him know when he got home. If is wasn't a po-po I'd call them.

I guess I don't know how much of this is something to actually be concerned about or how much is Internet hysteria.

I'm sure transparency takes a back seat in certain circumstances. I'm also quite sure that the application of these warrants isn't limited to the certain circumstances in which they should be applied. It is the easing of the boundaries, the relaxing of the restrictions that has me concerned. The transparency by itself is a secondary concern for me. But taken with the totality of the circumstances, particularly the tendency for the edge to be pushed "for the greater good" or "officer safety" (a la the recent supreme court ruling regarding the right to resist), transparency is one of the last bastions of protective measures me have. I know it sounds doomsday-ish, but 20 years ago, we used to say "These things only happen in the Soviet Union." Now they're a daily news item on an internet forum.

Just thinking out loud. Of all the things to be concerned with, this certainly isn't at the top of my list. But it is one more thing to catalog in the list of things that could go very, very wrong.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Since when is a government agency worried about being a good steward with tax dollars?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    edit: didn't read the atricle thoroughly, I thought there was something there to get upset over... there really isn't. so long as PC is there, go ahead and plant a listening device. if you have a search to do, knock on the door and serve the warrant.

Last edited:

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    yeah, that does sound like a bad ending.........no fun.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    edit: didn't read the atricle thoroughly, I thought there was something there to get upset over... there really isn't. so long as PC is there, go ahead and plant a listening device. if you have a search to do, knock on the door and serve the warrant.

For drugs? Seriously? They said 77% of the use of these damn things is going for drug cases. You want to be bugged because they think you might be into drugs? Welcome the State to break & enter into your home because of a nonviolent Nanny State crime? ACK!

If this country focused on actual crimes instead of social engineering and moral code enforcement, then maybe I'd cut their tactics some slack. But breaking into homes and endangering lives over some victimless drug crime is just beyond me.

Top Bottom