• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My house caught fire in June.
    Damage was significant enough that the house cannot be occupied.
    No major loss(es), but a LOT of headaches to deal with.

Once rebuilt, I plan to sell this house.
    I want to find a piece of ground just outside of Tippecanoe county.
    I want to stay close, but due to property taxes, building codes, and others, I want to move to an adjacent county.
    I'd like to find something in southeast Warren county, northern Montgomery county, or northwest Clinton county.

I would like to find around 20 acres, maybe more, depending on price, location...
    I would like to find something with a dilapidated house. Something that could be restored.
    This is what I do for a living, so condition is not critical. As long as the structure has "good bones", I can make it work.

Well and septic would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.
    Ideally I'd like to find mostly wooded ground, and any water source would be a huge plus.

Do any Ingoer's know of anything available in the area(s) listed.
    I would appreciate any help anyone can give in locating my new homestead.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's a new concept, and it's about to catch on, but there is a new profession of something titled... Realtor/Broker. From my understanding, they have connections to houses, and land that's for sale. Just a thought.

giphy.gif

Really dude?

He knows about realtors, he's asking "other" people if they have any leads on a specific type of property.

Most realtors aren't going to have an interest in a dilapidated house as their first choice to sell.
    He's talking about the family of "old Fred" that's selling his plot off after he's gone etc.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most realtors aren't going to have an interest in a dilapidated house as their first choice to sell.
    He's talking about the family of "old Fred" that's selling his plot off after he's gone etc.

^ He gets it!
    This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but I'll entertain most all suggestions.
    You never know...

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I’ve been looking for the same thing in White or Benton county for over 12 months. My MO has been do some driving, take roads I don’t normally take, and study the online plat books.

Patience is key. I’ve been trying to buy particular property that is exactly what the OP describes since mid May. MGderf, PM me if you have any interest in the Oxford area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    ^ He gets it!
    This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but I'll entertain most all suggestions.
    You never know...

I sold our last house word-of-mouth through our neighbor. That was a year ago, and the market may be a little different currently, but the trend I've been seeing lately is that lots of the good stuff is sold without a realtor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    When I was looking for property in Southern Indiana I drove for a few months in grids after work and on the weekends and when I found something I was interested in I had a Realtor that was a Buyer Broker, and she did all the legwork on who owned the property. A Buyer Broker works for you and not the seller. That Realtor saved me loads of money and that allowed me to buy a much larger piece of property.
    I was like you looking for something that was sitting unused for years and the owners were just tired of paying the taxes.

Edit,
    I grew up with my birth mother that was a realtor in Annapolis, Md so when I was around her you heard and learned some things. I learned from her to always use a Buyer Broker.
    The Buyer Broker will tell you what they believe the property is really worth.The big reason I drove the grids were that then ( and I dont know about now ) were so many small realtors were not part of the multiple list. So I would see the signs on the property sometimes upright and sometimes laying down. I would then call MY broker and she would get back to me when she had the answers.

Good Luck...

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    ^ He gets it!

Yeah, it wasn’t so much the content of what you wrote but the delivery. Packing that much condescension into an initial response, even if it was just intended to be humorous, is a good way to just **** people off.

FWIW, I found all four of my acreages on my own and only one went through a realtor. They have their place but are not the be-all end-all of property.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's less condescension, and more sarcasm. I couldn't care less if people get pissed off. It's a rough world out there, just make sure to put on the big girl panties.
    People are far too sensitive anymore. Exactly why this world is in the condition it is. Pansies.

And there are also far too many people in this world ready to be a jerk for no real reason at all, at the same time crying “people are too sensitive.” Also a part of why the world today is what it is.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When I was looking for property in Southern Indiana I drove for a few months in grids after work and on the weekends and when I found something I was interested in I had a Realtor that was a Buyer Broker, and she did all the legwork on who owned the property. A Buyer Broker works for you and not the seller. That Realtor saved me loads of money and that allowed me to buy a much larger piece of property.
    I was like you looking for something that was sitting unused for years and the owners were just tired of paying the taxes.

Edit,
    I grew up with my birth mother that was a realtor in Annapolis, Md so when I was around her you heard and learned some things. I learned from her to always use a Buyer Broker.
    The Buyer Broker will tell you what they believe the property is really worth.The big reason I drove the grids were that then ( and I dont know about now ) were so many small realtors were not part of the multiple list. So I would see the signs on the property sometimes upright and sometimes laying down. I would then call MY broker and she would get back to me when she had the answers.

Good Luck...

How do you know if you've found a buyer/broker?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    How do you know if you've found a buyer/broker?

I asked at the real estate office, Who here is a Buyer Broker or sometimes called a Buyers Agent... And that was in 93...
    Shes long retired now, but without her I would have gotten half the property and paid more.
    As a gift I let her husband hunt the property when ever he felt the need.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Crying... that's exactly what it is. Guess what I found? You on my ignore list. Buh bye!

Certainly not a sermon butt,
    I really could care less how you post, but you will get along here much better if you use Purple when sarcasm in being implied.
    After awhile folks will get to understand your humor and purple will be needed less.

IBTB'ing

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Crying... that's exactly what it is. Guess what I found? You on my ignore list. Buh bye!

He is still right even if you ignore him. People may be too sensitive these days but we have no shortage of *******s either.

I just got a call from someone wanting to buy property - just looking at county GIS layers and cold calling owners checking if they want to sell...that’s one way to go about it. Guy was motivated.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Generally any Realtor can act as a buyer broker. It refers to the relationship under which you engage them.

I have plans to use a particular realtor for a reason.
    This woman is responsible for a great deal of my work for the last couple of years.
    She sells more houses than anyone I've ever seen, and feeds us work from many of these sales.
    Either the buyer wants something fixed/changed to satisfy them, or the seller wants to make repairs to facilitate a sale.
    One way or another, this lady has kept us hopping and I would like to use her services as a small way of saying "Thank You'!

I'm sure she'll act in my best interest.
    We have a VERY good working relationship.

Top Bottom