• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    i have looked for it asked wal-mart for it and still dont have a definite answer.some say you can carry inside walmart some say it is up to the district manager and some say only cc is aloud.i go there alot with my wife so if some one could maybe answer this without a big fight starting i would like it very much thanks and merry christmas all:rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i have looked for it asked wal-mart for it and still dont have a definite answer.some say you can carry inside walmart some say it is up to the district manager and some say only cc is aloud.i go there alot with my wife so if some one could maybe answer this without a big fight starting i would like it very much thanks and merry christmas all:rockwoot:
    WalMart's stated corporate policy is to abide by the laws of the state in which the store resides. If the manager says no, leave and then write a letter to corporate headquarters asking them to re-explain their position to him (and maybe even politely demand an apology for his behavior).

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Wal-Mart CC policy as of 2007

WalMart's stated corporate policy is to abide by the laws of the state in which the store resides. If the manager says no, leave and then write a letter to corporate headquarters asking them to re-explain their position to him (and maybe even politely demand an apology for his behavior).

Subject: RE: Firearms written 2007

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Perhaps that is from a different state. My local Wal-Mart seems to follow INDIANA handgun license protocol. Never had an issue or comment while open carrying there.
    :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Perhaps that is from a different state. My local Wal-Mart seems to follow INDIANA handgun license protocol. Never had an issue or comment while open carrying there.

Maybe because you are in Crawfordsville? I lived there for 4 years during college. Great town. Real people who actually care lived there.

There are a few Wal Marts near me (Schererville, Merrillville and Valparaiso) and I've never seen anyone OC in any of those stores. I'd guess that if someone did OC in Schererville or Merrillville there would be a lot of screaming soccer moms running down the aisles. Valpo might be a different story, its a bit more rural, might be more tolerant. Schererville is very uptight, lots of butt puckering residents there. Merrillville is in the shadow of Gary, integrated and not tolerant of many things because of crime issues. JMO

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I carry at the Noblesville store

I carry in a outside holster with a jacket over but if it gets hot I unzip the jacket but try to keep the gun covered. There is obviously a bulge on my side at my waist. I try not to show I have a gun but I know the folks I buy the ammo from in the sports dept know I am carrying and no one has ever said anything other than what kind of 40SW do you own. I believe as long as you are not "in your face" with your carrying people will leave you alone. Works for me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Bet they would never say that to Chuck Conners when he carried his Winchester into the dry goods store. After all, he is the "Rifleman".

I think I will start wearing a cowboy hat and carrying my 30.30 every where I go. To heck with a puny pistol under my jacket.

Can you imagine leaning your 94 up against the table while you eat at your local Applebees? I'll bet you get pretty quick service. Or maybe really slow with a lot of weird looks while someone is calling 911. Then what? They gonna come and take your rifle while you are eating your fish and chips? (my favorite at Applebees) Then what? Seems like a deep hole they are digging.

I'm about half serious....

Sorry, I can't help it. Unarmed folks telling armed folks what they can do while they are doing nothing illegal just kind of baffles me. You are obviously not a threat or they would be caling 911 and hiding from you.

I'll stop now, maybe too much wine with the family today.

Last edited:

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Corporate policy is to allow CCW when authorized by state law... Open carry by non-LEO's is not allowed... this applies to all stores... although some stores do allow open carry... also every now and then a store posts a "No Guns" sign... after complaining to the Corporate office they are removed... this happened a couple of years ago at the Washington Street store in Indianapolis...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've only CC at the local Wal-Marts up here in NW Indiana (Hammond, Schererville, Merrillville and Valparaiso) but then again I only CC everywhere I go. From my limited time being on these boards I have noticed one thing. Seems the further SOUTH you go in Indiana the more 'tolerant' the public is about guns. While OC is allowed in the state you will be looked at CRAZY and have the cops called on you up in LAKE COUNTY indiana. Most people around here have no concept that CC or OC is allowed. Heck up until a few days ago I was under the impression that you could NOT walk around with your rifle on you (unless you were hunting or at the range).

I think LAKE COUNTY has been a) urbanized a bit to much and b) not educated on guns in general.

However for those that do OC the question is why? Sorry for the TREAD HIJACK but I guess up here in NWI I just don't feel safe showing the world that I am carrying. Too much crime in some parts of NWI and I personnally feel I want that element of suprise if something is going to go down near me.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008

Subject: RE: Firearms written 2007

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Corporate policy is to allow CCW when authorized by state law... Open carry by non-LEO's is not allowed... this applies to all stores... although some stores do allow open carry... also every now and then a store posts a "No Guns" sign... after complaining to the Corporate office they are removed... this happened a couple of years ago at the Washington Street store in Indianapolis...

According to Wal-Mart's response they follow whatever the state says. Since Indiana doesn't issue a CCW, but a LTCH I am confused. An Indiana LTCH gives you the choice of either concealed or open carry, but what you are saying and what the latter part of Wal-Mart's letter states contradicts the beginning where they say they follow the state's rules in regards to gun laws. So which is it? Since I carry OWB it's usually 50/50 as to whether it's covered.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    However for those that do OC the question is why? Sorry for the TREAD HIJACK but I guess up here in NWI I just don't feel safe showing the world that I am carrying. Too much crime in some parts of NWI and I personnally feel I want that element of suprise if something is going to go down near me.

Quick response but no plan to hijack:

I just don't feel as safe letting the world think that I may be unarmed.

I would rather deter criminals so that nothing goes down near me.

I feel prevention > surprise as the defender.

Would discuss more in new thread but there are already many on this topic on the board. Just my :twocents:.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    According to Wal-Mart's response they follow whatever the state says. Since Indiana doesn't issue a CCW, but a LTCH I am confused. An Indiana LTCH gives you the choice of either concealed or open carry, but what you are saying and what the latter part of Wal-Mart's letter states contradicts the beginning where they say they follow the state's rules in regards to gun laws. So which is it? Since I carry OWB it's usually 50/50 as to whether it's covered.
    Every other thread on this that I have read here says that Wal*Mart follows the state law and you are allowed to OC. (in IN at least) However reading the response again I think that was written for a CCW only state.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Man, it's like pulling teeth to find out the real deal for Walmart. It does sound like they are a little more sensitive to it up north.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Every other thread on this that I have read here says that Wal*Mart follows the state law and you are allowed to OC. (in IN at least) However reading the response again I think that was written for a CCW only state.

Walmart follows state law, in that it allows you to carry if you have permission from that state..
    IF anyone sees your stuff & complains, they will ask you to cover it up or leave..

Since the walmart up north might have been the one with the wakco who made a scene , then that walmart might be a little more proactive about asking folks to cover it up..
    In other parts of Indiana the shoppers don't freak out about OC, so one can do it with out being asked to cover up..

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Walmart follows state law, in that it allows you to carry if you have permission from that state..
    IF anyone sees your stuff & complains, they will ask you to cover it up or leave..

Since the walmart up north might have been the one with the wakco who made a scene , then that walmart might be a little more proactive about asking folks to cover it up..
    In other parts of Indiana the shoppers don't freak out about OC, so one can do it with out being asked to cover up..
    Yeah that guy was here in South Bend this summer. I avoid WM as much as possible, and don't OC in cold weather, but maybe I'll stop in for a box of ammo or something when the weather gets warmer again and see what happens.

Top Bottom