• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve B

Expert
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    We are discussing holding an Apple Seed event in the Walkerton/Plymouth area. We're curious as to the amount of interest in such an event in this area.

Also, what is the minimum attendance requirement for a full seed event?

How difficult is it to book an instructor for this area?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    There are several Appleseeds already scheduled in your area ... Lake Village & Milford (Nappanee Conservation Club). Please check the Appleseed schedule for the dates of each event by following this link ... Appleseed Schedule

If you want to travel a little bit, there are Appleseeds also scheduled in the surrounding states. You can view the state by state schedules here ... Appleseed - Search States for an Event

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Our hope is to possibly create another venue.
    That sounds awesome. Appleseed is always looking for new ranges.

They're also looking for people to pitch-in and help ... this is, after all, an organization totally run by volunteers. If you're not already an Appleseed volunteer, you can easily join the team.

Are you willing to step up to help make this new venue a reality?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I just checked the current registration for the upcoming Appleseeds at Lake Village and Milford (Nappanee Conservation Club) ... plenty of room left on the line. Sign up to participate and we can discuss what's required to bring a new range on-line.

The same is true for the Appleseeds at Niles and Watervliet, MI.

Sign up yourself and your buddies to attend. Every rifleman needs a rifle team to practice with, and Appleseed need more fine Americans to help with the program.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    We are discussing holding an Apple Seed event in the Walkerton/Plymouth area. We're curious as to the amount of interest in such an event in this area.

Also, what is the minimum attendance requirement for a full seed event?

How difficult is it to book an instructor for this area?

do you guys have a range already in mind that has ok a event? we have several shoots up north as TJ has pointed out and several instructors up there. Plus instructors are always willing to drive a way to help out but we would need info first. Like where, how many, is this just a one time thing or will you guys be wanting several events each year at the range? It doesn't have to be a actual range either it can be on private property and only host appleseeds ect. let us know the details and you will get a more detailed answer.

cwillour

Expert
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For my part, it is about timing. I would love to find one in the area during the kid's summer break outside of the July 4th weekend (between June 15th & August 17th) but it looks like I am going to be driving a little extra to make it happen.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    For my part, it is about timing. I would love to find one in the area during the kid's summer break outside of the July 4th weekend (between June 15th & August 17th) but it looks like I am going to be driving a little extra to make it happen.

I can promise you it will be worth any drive. The time you share at a Appleseed is awesome. Neither you or your children will forget it. Definitely get to one with the kids if you can!

Steve B

Expert
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    do you guys have a range already in mind that has ok a event? we have several shoots up north as TJ has pointed out and several instructors up there. Plus instructors are always willing to drive a way to help out but we would need info first. Like where, how many, is this just a one time thing or will you guys be wanting several events each year at the range? It doesn't have to be a actual range either it can be on private property and only host appleseeds ect. let us know the details and you will get a more detailed answer.

I've considering hosting an AS event for a couple of years. I recently found out another gentleman in the area that was thinking the same thing. We both have ranges. Both are on private property. Mine would be 10 miles closer to LaPorte. We are in the early stages of trying to see if there's enough interest and if we can meet the requirements to do this. That's why we're trying to find out some basic guidelines of what we would need as far as minimum attendance, backstop size, firing line size, ect.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I've considering hosting an AS event for a couple of years. I recently found out another gentleman in the area that was thinking the same thing. We both have ranges. Both are on private property. Mine would be 10 miles closer to LaPorte. We are in the early stages of trying to see if there's enough interest and if we can meet the requirements to do this. That's why we're trying to find out some basic guidelines of what we would need as far as minimum attendance, backstop size, firing line size, ect.

For appleseeds insurance to be good a instructor has to come out and inspect the range. Just make sure the back stop is good no houses behind the berm ect. As far as attendance is concerned we have no minimum requirements but the more the better ( since this is a personal shoot they may want to put a minimum number on it. not positive 10 people or something)

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Steve, I came up with six possible seven between you and our buddies

I still haven't talked with the other range owner yet...hopefully this weekend

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    There are usually a couple per year in Nappanee, which is relatively close to Plymouth. They do a very nice job there.

Of course, if you can get a group to organize one in Plymouth, more power to you. That would be great!

Steve B

Expert
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    That's good to hear. Sorry I haven't kept the thread active. It's not that we've given up. I just haven't heard back from the other range owner. Plus, I've held 4 all day shoots/BBQs here in the last 2 weekends. Hopefully we can come up with 10-12 shooters to make this worth while.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You might want to contact Spitfire51 about how to go about getting a new range on the Appleseed schedule. He's the current state coordinator and can help you with the details.

Top Bottom