• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    I filed for my license 10 weeks ago and still no luck. I haven't worried much about it until the other day. I posted an item for sale on craigslist and I received an email in about 10 minutes. The gentleman and I were to meet at a specified parking lot. So, after sitting in the parking lot, he arrives and parks his vehicle at an angle to mine. One guy gets out and introduces himself, another gets out, says nothing and stands behind me. First thing that goes through my mind is, damn...this is it, I'm gonna get jumped. So the buyer goes on to tell me that he had a similar item stolen a month before and he thought it strange that I have a similar item. He "threatens" that a cop is standing by in the event that it is his. After inspection he says it is not his, but he was ready to thump me had it been his. He then explained the sentimental value of the item and that a recently deceased loved one gave it to him. Pleasant guy when he wasn't in my face. It wasn't until I left that I thought, I would have felt safer with my gun on me. However, I don't believe I would have pulled it because this guy was looking for criminal behavior, so pulling a gun or reacting aggressively would have only made him and his partner more likely to thump me. I kept my cool and left un-thumped haha. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is the second post I've seen that has made me think twice. I have met several INGO members to finalize sales, but I've not given much though to getting jumped. Well, it would not be too smart to try to jump someone while making a gun trade, right? :dunno:

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified
    I know how you feel, I got jumped at a donut shop "After" buying donuts by one of the employees that MUST have been ON something or needed to be on something (Dr.Jekyll to Mr. Hyde)

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    This is the second post I've seen that has made me think twice. I have met several INGO members to finalize sales, but I've not given much though to getting jumped. Well, it would not be too smart to try to jump someone while making a gun trade, right? :dunno:

You got that right! If I was gonna rob someone I sure as hell wouldnt pick someone I met on a gun owners forum!

:ingo:

Also, FTF transactions with strangers should be during the day, with a crowd present if possible.

OP: I wouldnt be letting people stand right behind me like that!

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Situational awareness should of come into play here. Never put yourself into a position where a guy walks behind you and you allow him to remain there.

By the way, what were you selling and where you located?

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Personally, I would of not got out of the car if both of these guys looking agressive. I would of stayed in the locked car until it was one on one or just left. No gun deal is worth a "thumpin."

Hey old greg, promise us no more FTF deals until you get your LTCH or a buddy to go with!

Also, the following is some thing to think about

post_old-greg.jpg

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    SA and thinking of your own personal safety is a must.

I have conducted several FTF transactions, The only time I allow myself to be outnumbered is if I already feel comfortable with the situation. I.E Public place, INGO husband and wife (Scutter and Spasmo). Of all the INGO members I have met for FTF transactions I have never felt uncomfortable.

I have had several transactions from other places(craigslist, bargin finder, etc..) that I have had a friend or my little brother in the background. Arriving early and dropping them off or seperate vehicles. There was a time dealing with a questionable person (NOT a firearm transaction) I believe this saved my arse. When the transaction started to look like it was going south (guy said he didn't have all the money was getting pissed because I wouldn't let the item go for less then our agreed on price, moved towards me) my little brother came walking up like he was an old long lost friend (Hey how are you doing, haven't seen you in a long time, etc..) He prefers OC while I like deep concealment.

I normally try to arrive early and get a good visual of the location, I try to park in a spot where I can easily leave (escape).

I will again say I have never had a transaction with any member of INGO that made me uncomfortable!!! We have a good thing going here.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Those two were redneck, vigilante, jerks whose actions were bordering on illegal at best.
    Had you not been the nice guy you were, they could have found themselves in a world of pain.
    Without naming any names, I can think of a couple of INGO members with whom it would have been 'Go time'.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    even if i'm meetin' a INGO member or anyone on a FTF sale i have my Defender on my side and my NAA MINI in my pocket.....you must watch out for your own a%&!!!!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I filed for my license 10 weeks ago and still no luck. I haven't worried much about it until the other day. I posted an item for sale on craigslist and I received an email in about 10 minutes. The gentleman and I were to meet at a specified parking lot. So, after sitting in the parking lot, he arrives and parks his vehicle at an angle to mine. One guy gets out and introduces himself, another gets out, says nothing and stands behind me. First thing that goes through my mind is, damn...this is it, I'm gonna get jumped. So the buyer goes on to tell me that he had a similar item stolen a month before and he thought it strange that I have a similar item. He "threatens" that a cop is standing by in the event that it is his. After inspection he says it is not his, but he was ready to thump me had it been his. He then explained the sentimental value of the item and that a recently deceased loved one gave it to him. Pleasant guy when he wasn't in my face. It wasn't until I left that I thought, I would have felt safer with my gun on me. However, I don't believe I would have pulled it because this guy was looking for criminal behavior, so pulling a gun or reacting aggressively would have only made him and his partner more likely to thump me. I kept my cool and left un-thumped haha. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the matter.

i wouldnt let anyone stand behind me, that i didnt know or hadnt known of as being a "good guy". if there were 2 of them I know for sure no one would have been behind me. Also I would have been very mad that the guy wanted to meet for a sale only to find out later he wanted to check and see if it was his stolen item and had no intention to buy. just because he had stuff stolen does that give him the right to harrass you and waste your time?? NO. Thats why we call the police/ Its their job to do the dirty work because we have given them that power.
    Also them saying a "police officer is standing by" well i would have said: good for you, have a nice day, and wouldnt have shown the guy anything. if he tried to force me then it would have been bad for the pair of them. No cop in their right mind would promote vigilanty action like this was. their "ghost cop" (im sure there was none) could have just rolled up himself and investigated. Also what if the guy would have said: yep this is mine. ??? you being un-armed and out numbered would have been screwed and lost a gun too.
    There are many different scenarios that could have played out, so i think you are lucky. I would highly recomend you wait to make any future "internet transactions" until you are able to be armed legaly with your LTCH in hand.

so basicly, the moment the guy told me he had his stolen and was looking for it, i would have just got in my car and left. i WOULD have gotten in my car and left, now whether there was 2 guys laying on the ground as i drove away would be entirely up to them. but if they would have layed a hand on you they would be the ones going to jail because they provoked a situation intending to use violence if neccessary to recover possible stolen goods (pre-meditation). and if you dont believe me, ask OJ SIMPSON!!! :laugh:

avoid future bad incidents all together. >> USE INGO ONLY!!!!

Last edited:

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    so basicly, the moment the guy told me he had his stolen and was looking for it, i would have just got in my car and left. i WOULD have gotten in my car and left, now whether there was 2 guys laying on the ground as i drove away would be entirely up to them. but if they would have layed a hand on you they would be the ones going to jail because they provoked a situation intending to use violence if neccessary to recover possible stolen goods (pre-meditation). and if you dont believe me, ask OJ SIMPSON!!! :laugh:

avoid future bad incidents all together. >> USE INGO ONLY!!!!
    Amen, +1 for spreading some common sense

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Never do a deal on your own if you don't know who you're dealing with (and even sometimes if your do)!

There are several tactics you can employ:

If you have a dog (not a bow wow, a real dog) take it to the deal. My dog will respond to threats it perceives, voice commands, hand commands, and leash commands. If someone tried to flank me, I could give a hand or leash command (if he hadn't already taken the initiative) and the dog goes nuts. Then I just have to innocently say "He doesn't like anyone standing behind me. Could you please stand over here. I would hate to see him bite you.". If I'm selling a car and one guy has me engaged while the other seems to be looking at the car, I can also tell him to watch the other guy. If the guy makes any type of threatening move, he's toast. Polite and effective.

Take someone with you. They aren't there to engage in chit chat. They are there to fire the first bullet if the situation goes south. Make sure it's someone you know will take the shot.

Take someone in the open with you, then have them disappear as your other party appears. Let's them know you're game if they're game.

Put someone in a blind position. Takes a lot of coordination / communication, and you need someone that you can absolutely trust with your life. Difficult to do in a populated area. You can also potentially get into a LOT of trouble if the police are called.

Populated meets are safer than meeting in a dark alley, but don't assume just because you meet in a mall parking lot you're safe. There are many instances of robberies in public places.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Never do a deal on your own if you don't know who you're dealing with (and even sometimes if your do)!

There are several tactics you can employ:

If you have a dog (not a bow wow, a real dog) take it to the deal. My dog will respond to threats it perceives, voice commands, hand commands, and leash commands. If someone tried to flank me, I could give a hand or leash command (if he hadn't already taken the initiative) and the dog goes nuts. Then I just have to innocently say "He doesn't like anyone standing behind me. Could you please stand over here. I would hate to see him bite you.". If I'm selling a car and one guy has me engaged while the other seems to be looking at the car, I can also tell him to watch the other guy. If the guy makes any type of threatening move, he's toast. Polite and effective.

Take someone with you. They aren't there to engage in chit chat. They are there to fire the first bullet if the situation goes south. Make sure it's someone you know will take the shot.

Take someone in the open with you, then have them disappear as your other party appears. Let's them know you're game if they're game.

Put someone in a blind position. Takes a lot of coordination / communication, and you need someone that you can absolutely trust with your life. Difficult to do in a populated area. You can also potentially get into a LOT of trouble if the police are called.

Populated meets are safer than meeting in a dark alley, but don't assume just because you meet in a mall parking lot you're safe. There are many instances of robberies in public places.

:+1: Great post. Thanks for teaching school openly for us newbies. I have only made one FTF purchase, and it went very well. Good INGO guy. I never thought about this kind of thing happening until I was sitting in an empty mall parking lot at 0800 with US$310 in my pocket.

For those of us who do not have military training, your teaching is extremely valuable and helpful. Thanks. Rep coming. :bowdown:

Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks for the replies, just to clear up some questions. I was selling a leather jacket. I also chose the location, which was a open grocery store parking lot. I parked out where I could be seen and could leave quick if I had to. Plus, a cop was parked outside the grocery store, so I figured I could get his attention if needed. Thanks for the advice. This definitely will alter how I do deals from now on. Oh, and I met the guy today to complete the transaction, couldn't have asked for a nicer guy, strange.

COMP
    I like the Old Greg pic haha

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

You watch John Wayne, don't you?

"DOG!"

GLV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Loganport
    Contact and cover

While I have done the 'parking lot' thing, and I may again. But I make the contact and have at least one armed 'cover' person.

I would never do it alone even if armed.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I wouldn't think of doing a craiglist deal unarmed. As a matter of fact I just plainly would not do it unarmed lol. Even though I have done quite a few deals and they have all went smooth.

+1 on the OP somehow remaining cool with how that deal went down. Shady way to try and find your stolen jacket, agree with E5Ranger375, you can't just call people out to interrogate do to do an unconfirmed accusation that it is his "stolen" jacket.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Solid advice on here. I tend to stick with INGO only for FTF transactions. I have NOT had an issue yet. It's a great community we have here. Always be armed if you are doing FTF, whether it be firearm, knife, or mace...something that will allow you distance and time to escape. If you have someone to insert into the background then do so. I've done so on several occasions and I've only ever come close to needing the assistance once. Glad to see this worked out in the end.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I won't give away my OPSEC, but trust me, anyone tries to hijack me, they're begging for a load of trouble even if I'm not in my car at the time.

As for your situation, OP, sounds like you handled it well despite being manhandled.

Kudos to you for keeping your cool.

Top Bottom