• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Looking for information. Contemplating a trade. Want a 50 bad. Are these rifles safe? Looks like the lar grizzly. It has three lugs not two large.
    Thanks for input and knowledge,
    Bob

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I have heard alot of issues with then as well and would be a bit weary of them. There are some “affordable” options being made by Safety Harbor firearms and Serbu.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    All models have failed then? There is no “safe” model or years? All Vulcan 50’s rifles should be considered junk? Just walk away? Truly no defending, I’m really just trying gather information because I can’t find anything other than on the interrupted bolt design. Did the accidents happen on all bolts, two lug bolts, interrupted bolts r across the board?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm sure there are individual guns that are probably fine. And the 3 lug design WAS an improvement over their older design, but even those have had an alarming number of failures.

Every manufacturer can have problems and if you put out enough guns there will be an occasional turkey slip through or materials defect that was undetectable, but Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne had a well deserved reputation for shoddy workmanship, poor quality control, and disappearing and reappearing under a different name when problems came to the surface. The percentage of guns they had that kaboomed was way higher than any other manufacturer. Can you buy one of their guns and shoot it with no problems? Sure. Would I bet my face on one? Nope. With .50bmg (and I own three and have owned three others) I will stick with a reputable manufacturer with a proven track record. And remember, IF there are materials flaws it may shoot fine for a hundred rounds, but each one of those shots is increasing the likelihood of a failure the next shot.

I get wanting a .50 really bad. I saved for years before buying my first, an AR50. Then I bought a Bohica (one step up from Vulcan). I lost the AR50 in a house fire and sold the Bohica to fund a Serbu and then bought an LAR Grizzly Big Bore. I sold the Serbu to fund a custom left handed Ferret50. Then a few years ago I had a windfall inheritance and bought a Barret M82A1. I've put a few thousand rounds down the pipes with my current three and felt completely confident with each shot. Given half an ounce of powder igniting inches from my face, I would not want to pull the trigger each time wondering if this was going to leave me severely injured or dead.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I'm sure there are individual guns that are probably fine. And the 3 lug design WAS an improvement over their older design, but even those have had an alarming number of failures.

Every manufacturer can have problems and if you put out enough guns there will be an occasional turkey slip through or materials defect that was undetectable, but Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne had a well deserved reputation for shoddy workmanship, poor quality control, and disappearing and reappearing under a different name when problems came to the surface. The percentage of guns they had that kaboomed was way higher than any other manufacturer. Can you buy one of their guns and shoot it with no problems? Sure. Would I bet my face on one? Nope. With .50bmg (and I own three and have owned three others) I will stick with a reputable manufacturer with a proven track record. And remember, IF there are materials flaws it may shoot fine for a hundred rounds, but each one of those shots is increasing the likelihood of a failure the next shot.

I get wanting a .50 really bad. I saved for years before buying my first, an AR50. Then I bought a Bohica (one step up from Vulcan). I lost the AR50 in a house fire and sold the Bohica to fund a Serbu and then bought an LAR Grizzly Big Bore. I sold the Serbu to fund a custom left handed Ferret50. Then a few years ago I had a windfall inheritance and bought a Barret M82A1. I've put a few thousand rounds down the pipes with my current three and felt completely confident with each shot. Given half an ounce of powder igniting inches from my face, I would not want to pull the trigger each time wondering if this was going to leave me severely injured or dead.

You are right. It is just going to hurt to say no.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN

I’m jealous :bow: you’ve had some gems !! I only have a BA50 now but hope to have a M82A1 one day!

Top Bottom