Vortex Spitfire turret directions - explain this!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    How would you interpret these directions?

I was sighting in this scope today, and my shots were landing to the left of the point of aim. So I looked at the markings. Unfortunately, the windage adjustment arrow is perpendicular to the way the windage turret turns, so it doesn't tell you anything about how to adjust the turret. Still, I did my best to make sense of it, and reasoned that since the "right" direction is clockwise when I'm looking at the rear of the scope, it follows that the "right" adjustment of the turret should be clockwise when I'm looking at the turret.

I mean, how else would you make sense of it? Anyway it turns out that's backwards. Likewise for the elevation turret. Clockwise is down despite the "up" arrow being clockwise when viewed from the rear.

What's the reasoning behind this?

20230121_202134.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Clockwise appears to be up and right.

Counter clockwise appears to be down and left.

You turn the turrets in the direction you wish your grouping to shift to.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'd have guessed the way it works.
    The arrows point in the direction to move the side of the turret closest to the marking.

Now, I'd have preferred the standard curved arrow next to/on the turret, but I'm sure it was easier to print on the body.

Be glad you've got any indicator at all. A couple of my sights have nothing at all and I just have to move & verify.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana

Be glad you've got any indicator at all. A couple of my sights have nothing at all and I just have to move & verify.

Well I had to do that anyway! But yeah I suppose I'll remember in future.

Regarding your interpretation: I think that would be an OK marking if it was on a flat part of the scope. But it's a curved arrow on a circular part. The arrow is indicating a direction that the turret can't go. So this doesn't really make sense.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hahahaha I have one of those, and went through the same head scratch. The manual is no help.

I can't remember how it went, I think I guessed.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Looking at the optic, my first instinct would be that counterclockwise is UP or Right. In my opinion, you would turn the dial in direction of the arrow on that end of the dial (the end toward you where the arrow is indicating UP or Left) to go the direction the arrow states.

up.jpg

Yeah, that's a terrible drawing. :laugh:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom