• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So I mounted the new crossfire 2 yesterday and have about 300 rds through it. It's mounted on my cz 452 for now, since it's more accurate than the 10-22 that the scope will spend its life on.

The scope will run between 120 and 269 depending on size, features, and reticle. I was pretty leary of the scope when I heard about it. Vortex told me a lot about it and to be honest my exact words were, "I'll believe it when I see it." I did not think they could produce a scope that did what they said it would, in the price range they said it would be in.

I was wrong. The glass is not top of the line hd glass but it's better than any Nikon Prostaff or other scope in its price range that I've ever seen.

Under the turret caps are resetable finger turrets. The turrets are kind of a pain to reset but it's not like you will do that a lot through the life of the scope. The clicks are very loud and postive.

Tracking was the main thing I did not think they could produce in this price range. Tracking is how a scope performs when you run the turrets up and down, left and right. A scope that tracks well you can dial up 15 moa from a 200yd zero and dial left 2 moa forwind, then dial your turrets back to there original position and you are backexactly to your 200 yd zero.
    I did 4 or 5 box tests with it at 50 yds and it passed every one. It was always within 1 moa of where it should be and always returned to zero. I was going to take pictures, but to be honest, I kept pulling a shot and making an ugly target, so I will get a pretty target in a few days for everyone to see. For those who are un familiar with a box test, I basically zeroed the rifle at 50 yds. The target has 5 bullseyes on it: a center bull, a bull that is up 5 inches and right 5 inches from the center, one that is right 5 inches and down 5 inches from the center, one that is left 5 inches and down 5 inches from the center, and one that is up 5 inches and left 5 inches from the center

Through the whole test I aimed at the center bull. I shot a couple rounds in the center, then dialed up 10 moa (5 inches at 50 yds) and right 10 moa (5 inches at 50 yds) and shot a couple more. Then i dialed down 20 moa (10 inches at 50 yds) and shot a couple more, then I dialed left 20 moa and shot a couple more, then up 20 moa and shot a couple more. Finally to finish the test, I dialed right 10 moa and down 10 moa. The goal of this test is to dial the scope all over its travel range, have a group in each bull and make sure that the scope returns to its original 50 yd zero. On a perfect test you will have a tiny group in the center bull and shots in the center of each of the outside bulls.

The scope did its job prefectly. I just was not happy with my shooting.

As far as durabilit, I never mounted it on any centerfire rifles, on the 22 it held up great. I was not overly abusive to the setup, but I was not gentle either. I would shoot a bullseye stand up and drop the whole thing on its side, lay back down and it never lost zero.

This scope carries vortex's vip warranty which is really simple; if it's not functioning properly it will be fixed or replaced free. If you buy one from me that does anything it's not supposed to I'll replace it out of my inventory no questions asked. This is not something I could afford to do if I didn't trust vortex to make it right with me. A lot of times its simplier to send it to vortex yourself but if you're in a hurry or don't want to deal with a company I'll take care of it for you. This warranty applies no matter what. It doesn't matter if you are the original purchaser or the 50th owner (really helps resale value) and I'd doesn't matter if it's a factory defect or if you accidently ran it over with your truck if its not right it's fixed or replaced.

final notes

pros

PRICE
    TRACKING
    GLASS
    WARRANTY

cons

resetting the zero is kind of a pain

In it's price range it's a no brainer. That said if you compare it to a pst or similar it will lose every time, but compare it to a scope in it's price range it will win every time. Vortex really raised the bar with this scope.

Monday is the first day they are available to order. I'm not sure what versions are available yet, but I know the 3-9x40 bdc and the 4-12x40 bdc will be available.

I will be ordering some of each and whatever else I can get my hands on. If this scope is on your radar let me know and I'll talk to you more about it or set up the details of getting one in your hands.

As always, I sell everything at the minimum and that does not change with this scope.

Last edited:

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    I have been looking at this scope and was wondering how it would perform.
    With your review my mind has been made up, so thank you for the honest review.
    Thanks
    Matt

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Looks interesting (like your choice of the CZ - friends have a few and they work nicely, myself running the Kimber of Organ that is the son's until he gets settled in one spot) which exact model are you using ... if had to guess would start with he 4-12x40 AO?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Looks interesting (like your choice of the CZ - friends have a few and they work nicely, myself running the Kimber of Organ that is the son's until he gets settled in one spot) which exact model are you using ... if had to guess would start with he 4-12x40 AO?

my cz was used for this test. my cz has a pst 4-16 ffp/moa. most folks think its crazy to pay 900 for a 22 scope buy thats the rifle i spend 99% of my time behind so why should all my nice equipment be on the rifles i dont use as often

Top Bottom