• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I lived in Fort Wayne for 37 years and carried everywhere except where forbidden by actual law (federal or otherwise) for the last 15 years and never had a problem.

However... I have a resident permit and you don't.. Indiana law actually reads:

IC 35.47.2.21 - Other state licenses

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers’ licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana

My interpretation of the law, and I've seen others interpret it the same way, is that Indiana will recognize your permit, but you still have to abide by all of the laws governing your CA permit and do not get the same freedoms that we do with IN permits.

So... Just act like you're not actually in Rome when you're here and that you're still back home if you want to play it absolutely safe. I don't think Indiana would care what you do, but if something goes down that would violate the terms of your CA permit while you're here, I have no clue if CA would prosecute you when you got home.

I could have it all wrong, but it's food for thought all the same.

I'd also consider applying for a non-resident permit. I have no clue how fast those come, but we do issue them.

ryanprivate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2018
    San Jose
    I lived in Fort Wayne for 37 years and carried everywhere except where forbidden by actual law (federal or otherwise) for the last 15 years and never had a problem.

However... I have a resident permit and you don't.. Indiana law actually reads:

IC 35.47.2.21 - Other state licenses

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers’ licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana

My interpretation of the law, and I've seen others interpret it the same way, is that Indiana will recognize your permit, but you still have to abide by all of the laws governing your CA permit and do not get the same freedoms that we do with IN permits.

So... Just act like you're not actually in Rome when you're here and that you're still back home if you want to play it absolutely safe. I don't think Indiana would care what you do, but if something goes down that would violate the terms of your CA permit while you're here, I have no clue if CA would prosecute you when you got home.

I'd also consider applying for a non-resident permit. I have no clue how fast those come, but we do issue them.

Thank you for bringing this up. I didn’t know that. It was very helpful.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I believe you have it wrong. This discussion has come up here a few times in the past. Several attorneys have weighed in and said no that is not what that means. The terms thereof basically means conditions of the license, as in if you were granted a license to carry like IL used to (and maybe still does) for carry as an armed security guard it only allowed carry while on the job and 1/2 hr before and after. Or TX which used to have a revolver only or an "unlimited" license which allowed revolver and semi-auto, or another state which listed which specific handguns you could carry, as in make/model/serial #. I don't know if CA allows carry in let's say a bar, but IN does. If he were to carry in a bar here in IN he would be completely legal. Same as if a NJ resident who somehow obtained one of their carry permits had his pistol loaded up with hollow point rounds in IN.

IN does issue a non-res, but it's only available to those who a regular place of business or employment in IN.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Please don't start this nonsense again. There's absolutely no support for this interpretation beyond LGS thumbsucking. Logically, it would require an LEO to be versed in the laws of 49 other states as well as Indiana. For instance, what if a man carries his gun into a school? "It's OK - I'm allowed to do this in my home state!"

Just how exactly would that work? What could possibly predicate that?
    Sorry to be blunt, be you absolutely have it all wrong. I hate to be rough to a new INGO'er, but bad advice is bad advice...

For a one weekend trip‽ You must be joking!

ryanprivate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2018
    San Jose
    I will be flying into MDW and spending the night before I drive to Fort Wayne the following day. Is there anything I need to know besides unloaded, locked and not readily accessible? Can a loaded mag be transported in the same locked container as the gun? Can I have the locked case in the passenger seat? I also read somewhere that no one can borrow my car if my weapon is in it. This seems a little excessive.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I will be flying into MDW and spending the night before I drive to Fort Wayne the following day. Is there anything I need to know besides unloaded, locked and not readily accessible? Can a loaded mag be transported in the same locked container as the gun? Can I have the locked case in the passenger seat? I also read somewhere that no one can borrow my car if my weapon is in it. This seems a little excessive.
    Check this thread out.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/458031-traveling-chicago-weapons.html

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

MDW is a one hour drive to several nice hotels in Indiana. Leave your handgun in your luggage until you are out of Chicago.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Greetings. I will be visiting Fort Wayne for Labor Day weekend to attend a wedding. I plan on carrying my weapon for the duration of my visit. Can any residents give some tips on do’s and don’ts? Anything I need to know or prepare for?

OK, we need an after action report!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nothing really to report. Everything went well. I came, I carried, I left. Fort Wayne is a really small town. I was surprised.

Hah! If you think Fort Wayne is a small town, much less a really small town, you have never been to an actual really small town.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Hah! If you think Fort Wayne is a small town, much less a really small town, you have never been to an actual really small town.

Agreed. I live in a "small town", but near some really small towns, and know of some really really small towns.

Top Bottom