• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    At the match on Sunday, the match winner and I were discussing the VC stage. He explained that taking the penalty for an A zone extra shot would actually gain 5 points over the mike. Of course, we discussed the down side of another hard cover hit...

I didn't see that the extra shot was needed, so I didn't take it. :xmad:
    However, I did jokingly thank him for getting in my head, talking me into the only mike of my day.:):

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    taking the penalty for an A zone extra shot would actually gain 5 points over the mike.

Now whether or not that helps your HF depends on how fast you can make that extra hit.

There's a risk v reward decision there...

Worst case is you still end up w/ a mike... and an extra shot.

Best case is you call the mike off the FS and make it up with an A in a couple of tenths.

Then there's all kinds of "wash out" scenarios... What if it's a relatively difficult shot (takes a few tenths to make the make-up) or you make up with a C/D [especially minor]? The "wash outs" are the one's to watch out for... basically w/o helping the HF you are risking another mike, a NS, whatever...

I know I know... there goes rvb with that math crap again ....

-rvb

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I still need to work on the "calling the shots" part... my standard reaction is

"mike? WTF do you mean mike? how the hell did I miss that? It was the closest one!!"

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have found that is fairly common. I miss the easiest targets, usually, when I have a Mike. On the difficult targets, I take that extra moment to ensure a good hit. On one standing right in the open, I have been known to get A-Mike by swinging the gun to the next target too fast. Which sucks.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have found that is fairly common. I miss the easiest targets, usually, when I have a Mike. On the difficult targets, I take that extra moment to ensure a good hit. On one standing right in the open, I have been known to get A-Mike by swinging the gun to the next target too fast. Which sucks.

This is what I do as well
    I think it means that I only saw one sight picture for both shots.

this is what I should do

Front sight.. bang ,front sight..bang, next target

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Yup, Matt R. pointed that out to me at Silver Creek... then I turned around and did it on one of the stages last Sunday.

focus.... must focus...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is my "policy"

If I manage to call the shot and believe it was a miss and I decide immediately to press the trigger as soon as the sights are on the target, I'll probably do it.

If I hesitate at that moment and "think about it," it's too late.

If I wait until I see the target itself and notice a miss, it's way, way too late.

Now whether or not that helps your HF depends on how fast you can make that extra hit.

There's a risk v reward decision there...

Worst case is you still end up w/ a mike... and an extra shot.

Best case is you call the mike off the FS and make it up with an A in a couple of tenths.

Then there's all kinds of "wash out" scenarios... What if it's a relatively difficult shot (takes a few tenths to make the make-up) or you make up with a C/D [especially minor]? The "wash outs" are the one's to watch out for... basically w/o helping the HF you are risking another mike, a NS, whatever...

I know I know... there goes rvb with that math crap again ....

-rvb

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Yup, Matt R. pointed that out to me at Silver Creek... then I turned around and did it on one of the stages last Sunday.

focus.... must focus...

Just because one knows what one is doing wrong, doesn't necessarily mean one can stop doing it.:D

Seriously, plans are freaking easy. Execution is the hard part.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Here is my "policy"

If I manage to call the shot and believe it was a miss and I decide immediately to press the trigger as soon as the sights are on the target, I'll probably do it.

If I hesitate at that moment and "think about it," it's too late.

If I wait until I see the target itself and notice a miss, it's way, way too late.

:yesway:

Yup. Call it. Make the decision at that instant. Be sure you can actually make it up.

"Think long, think wrong."
    That sinking feeling is the HF deflating....

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My policy

Here is my policy on make up shots in VC stages. If you could not hit the A zone or the target with the first shot what makes you think you are going to get and A zone hit fast enough on the make up shot.

I decided at Area 3 several years back that I was not making up shots on VC stages. I will just watch the sights and take what comes. If I miss it is my fault and I deserve it. The speed at which you must call the shot and make it up and get an A zone hit to be worth while is a very small window. The fastest way to get a hit is to do it with one shot.

on an unrelated note:
    rvb: There are lots of things that are *****d up. You're both right and poetic.:yesway:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you could not hit the A zone or the target with the first shot what makes you think you are going to get and A zone hit fast enough on the make up shot.
    I decided at Area 3 several years back that I was not making up shots on VC stages.

Typically I agree... That's why I added the caveat above that you have to be SURE you can make it up. A mike sucks. An extra-shot PE sucks. A mike and a PE REALLY sucks.

however there are many times (head shots, hardcover, no-shoots), that an inch out of the A can equal a mike, and a solid make-up can happen very quickly. (As fast as you can re-align the sights if one is able to call the mike off the sights).

The fastest way to get a hit is to do it with one shot.

absolutely! but %$&# happens...

rvb: There are lots of things that are *****d up.

top of the list was my shooting that day .... was a bit frustrated.
    hoping A5 and IN go a little smoother...

-rvb

Top Bottom