• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Where and how do you concealed carry in your vehicle? If I'm going somewhere close I have it on me, but if it's a longer trip I will put it into the glove box. I've been thinking recently that that is not the best place for it (longer reach, seat belt in the way, would take to long to get it). I drive a truck. Where would you consider I put it? What holster (if any) do you recommend (on a budget, not cheap, budget).

If there is already a thread for this let me know, I couldn't find it.

I carry a Springfield XD 40.

Thanks

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't take my holster off when driving. Not for my 20 minutes to the office, and not on 10 hour drives for vacation. I've gotten used to it, and don't mind the wear on the seat and seatbelt from the grip.

BTW: Springfield XD sub-compact. Either in a leather thumb-break OWB holster, or a SuperTuck for the rare CC trips.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    In my truck I have a pocket in my door and only take it off for longer rides. I put it handle up facing forward in there. Its the only thing that will go in there ever.

Kinda like here
    49154677.jpg

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    For now when I have mine with me in my jeep, I keep it next to the parking break. Not really concealed but its easy access. Ill be sure to post pics of my new carry system when I get it done. Just waiting on the rest of my stuff to come for it!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I bought a cheap OWB holster with a strap on it. Bent the clip a bit so it would fit on the piece of plastic running under my steering column. Now my pistol is readily available right between my knees and going to grab it looks about the same as going to turn off the car keys.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I bought a cheap OWB holster with a strap on it. Bent the clip a bit so it would fit on the piece of plastic running under my steering column. Now my pistol is readily available right between my knees and going to grab it looks about the same as going to turn off the car keys.
    I've seen this method before and have even thought of doing it myself

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a small 4 dr sedan and I'm a big dude. Finding an accessible spot where I can put my gun while on a long drive is a necessity. I have a cheap second hand IWB holster in my center console that I use when I wedge the gun inbetween the passenger seat and the cup holder. I would prefer to take a couple of screws and mount the holster in a more hidden but accessible place.

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In my truck I have a pocket in my door and only take it off for longer rides. I put it handle up facing forward in there. Its the only thing that will go in there ever.

Kinda like here
    49154677.jpg

I like this idea. I keep tools in it right now, but I can change that easily. I'm now thinking of what I can build for in there to make it secure and easy to draw.

For the posts above, I like to keep it on me, but I carry where it is not an easy draw, so I want to have an easy draw in the vehicle. When I get out of the vehicle it will be holstered on my person.

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis

Curious if this would be considered concealed in Indiana. As a CC permit holder I should be able to open carry so it shouldn't be a problem (am I correct in this with Indiana state law? That's how I interpreted it). Do you have a problem of ever forgetting it?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Curious if this would be considered concealed in Indiana. As a CC permit holder I should be able to open carry so it shouldn't be a problem (am I correct in this with Indiana state law? That's how I interpreted it). Do you have a problem of ever forgetting it?

If you're an LTCH holder, you can carry it any way you like.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the "Castle Law" Applies to your vehicle. No I have never forgot it, I am anal about having my firearm on me at ALL times

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the "Castle Law" Applies to your vehicle. No I have never forgot it, I am anal about having my firearm on me at ALL times

IANAL. Castle Doctrine applies to your occupied vehicle. IANAL.

But I'd hate to have to explain in court why I killed someone when I could have driven away.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy

I don't ever forget it or leave it unattended in my vehicle. I have a LTCH so I do not worry about how/where I carry.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    When I carry my 1911 it is in a shoulder rig, and for the most part that is where it stays. If I have a kid behind me, I take it out of the shoulder rig and put it either on the passengers seat or in the center compartment if there is a passenger. I am not comfortable having a loaded gun pointing at a kid, no matter how secure it actually is.
    When carrying my S&W 908 it is IWB so I take it out of the holster and same thing, on passenger seat or in center compartment.
    I am a student and when I get to school I put it in the center compartment but I take the magazines with me. If someone does break in and steal it, I do everything I can to be sure they do not use it against me.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    When I carry my 1911 it is in a shoulder rig, and for the most part that is where it stays. If I have a kid behind me, I take it out of the shoulder rig and put it either on the passengers seat or in the center compartment if there is a passenger. I am not comfortable having a loaded gun pointing at a kid, no matter how secure it actually is.

But... you carry that way most of the time and it doesn't bother you that you're sweeping everyone in the world? I think you can argue either side of the shoulder rig/holstered weapon thing, but seems like you're 50/50. ?

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I carry in an ankle holster and iwb and when I put my guns on, I don't take them off until I go to bed. I can drive all day and not notice my guns are on me.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    But... you carry that way most of the time and it doesn't bother you that you're sweeping everyone in the world? I think you can argue either side of the shoulder rig/holstered weapon thing, but seems like you're 50/50. ?
    Good point, never thought of it that way. I guess I was just caught up in having a kid right behind me and being a little nervous that in the event something did jump off, what if I had an accidental discharge and killed one of my own.
    The only way around this is for me to get a vertical holster. Still would not use it in the car with a kid behind me for the reason mentioned above. I would not be able to live with myself if I killed a kid, or anyone that was not trying to harm me for that matter.

Top Bottom