Variation in Pediatric and Adolescent Firearm Mortality Rates in Rural and Urban U.S.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    This from the Brady bunch.

Title: Variation in Pediatric and Adolescent Firearm Mortality Rates in Rural and Urban U.S. Counties
    Publication Date: May 2010

What does it say? Children and teens (0 to 19) in the most rural counties of the country are as likely to die from a gunshot as those living in the most urban counties. Rural kids have more gun suicides and unintentional shooting deaths, while urban kids die more often of gun homicides.

This finding is consistent with an earlier study finding a similar pattern among people of all ages.

How can I use it? Use the results of this study to educate lawmakers that gun violence is a problem that affects children all across the U.S., not just those living in urban areas.

Citation Nance, Michael L., et al, “Variation in Pediatric and Adolescent Firearm Mortality Rates in Rural and Urban U.S. Counties,” Pediatrics 125(6) June 2010: 1112-1118

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the post, i'm forming my dissertation around unintentional injury and I love how these researchers define 'children'. I have seen studies that try to include those in their twenties as children. One of the reason is that deaths are higher for the 14-19 year olds so it helps to pad the numbers so to speak so it looks like more of a problem than it is. If you were to define children as 0-17 the numbers look different.

Top Bottom