• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am confused by this whole thing.

Vaping has been around since 2003. There have been millions of people vaping for about 10 years.

Why is a handful (less than 20) vaping deaths making the news now?

I smell a cause-of-the-moment....not so much a significant public health threat.

I could be mistaken, but I think the number of deaths jumped recently, or maybe just the reports of hospitalizations due to vaping. It appears that the common thread is that whatever they were vaping was obtained "on the street" or from other questionable sources. Since regulation is pretty lax, it's easy to see how counterfeit "juice" could make it into convenience stores. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that "spice" and "bath salts" were being sold at the corner gas station. I think we can all agree that that didn't end well.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I could be mistaken, but I think the number of deaths jumped recently, or maybe just the reports of hospitalizations due to vaping. It appears that the common thread is that whatever they were vaping was obtained "on the street" or from other questionable sources. Since regulation is pretty lax, it's easy to see how counterfeit "juice" could make it into convenience stores. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that "spice" and "bath salts" were being sold at the corner gas station. I think we can all agree that that didn't end well.

A libertarian might argue over regulation is forcing people to get their thc vape juice underground where as if it were legal sellers would be above board and legally responsible for their products.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ban cigarettes and alcohol then I'll take the calls for banning vaping serious. How bat**** insane is it that we have places banning vaping yet keeping cigarettes legal? If your puritanical nanny state moral compass demands you use force of law to protect people from themselves, fine, but at least pretend to align your outrage with actual objective harm caused.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ban cigarettes and alcohol then I'll take the calls for banning vaping serious. How bat**** insane is it that we have places banning vaping yet keeping cigarettes legal? If your puritanical nanny state moral compass demands you use force of law to protect people from themselves, fine, but at least pretend to align your outrage with actual objective harm caused.

I'm personally puritanical...but this banning vaping is insane.

This seems to be a combination of left leaning nanny-statism and "Do it for the children...I mean, I won't take responsibility for my children, but you should."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I'm personally puritanical...but this banning vaping is insane.

This seems to be a combination of left leaning nanny-statism and "Do it for the children...I mean, I won't take responsibility for my children, but you should."

While I don't necessarily agree with the banning (I'm a cigarette smoker - for now), the difference is, if I go to the corner gas station and buy a pack of Marlboro Lights, I pretty much know what I'm getting. If I'm a vaper and I buy "juice" of questionable origin from some guy on the street corner, or the corner gas station, I don't really know what's in the product. Look at the instances of Chinese pet food containing poisonous chemicals (not FDA regulated) for example. If they're going to allow it to be sold, and sold as a "safe" alternative to smoking tobacco, I think it should undergo a pretty vigorous vetting process.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    While I don't necessarily agree with the banning (I'm a cigarette smoker - for now), the difference is, if I go to the corner gas station and buy a pack of Marlboro Lights, I pretty much know what I'm getting. If I'm a vaper and I buy "juice" of questionable origin from some guy on the street corner, or the corner gas station, I don't really know what's in the product. Look at the instances of Chinese pet food containing poisonous chemicals (not FDA regulated) for example. If they're going to allow it to be sold, and sold as a "safe" alternative to smoking tobacco, I think it should undergo a pretty vigorous vetting process.

A Woman's Cigarette? :lmfao:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am NOT a fan of government intervention in what people choose to do with their own bodies as adults over the age of 18.

But a quick question for those who "Vape"...

Can I have your firearms when you're "done with them"?

(That's code my Mom used for "when I'm dead")

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

If you go buy official juul cartridges you know what you're getting but if you buy hand rolled cigarettes from the guy behind the gas station you dont know what you're getting.

The problem isn't regular vaping via large companies, it's that things like thc and flavored vape juices are only offered by way of the black market and are thus unregulated.

Its akin to complaining that lsd isn't properly regulated and bad batches are poisoning people. It's not regulated because it's not legal.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My stepdaughter says she is going to the hospital tonight. Why? Her husband's friend is on life support, a dead organ donor, from vaping.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I watched a news story on CBD oil. I don't remember the towns, but it's all done in Indiana. The hemp plants are given to the farmers. Profitable for them. It's harvested and shipped to another town for drying. Then it's shipped to another town for processing. I was in the corner gas station when a guy was in there wanting them to sell CBD oil. He said the station would get half the profits. Now it's prominently displayed right on the checkout counter. Profitable for them. The vaping industry is pushing it hard. Make the growers rich. Make the sellers rich. It's all perfectly safe.

edit- local news story. I'm sure it's grown everywhere.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Let's open the flood gates of other "substances" while were at it. Just because we have other "legal" drugs available to damage our body does not mean we should let all "crutches" be legal. Where does one (the law) draw the line?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Let's open the flood gates of other "substances" while were at it. Just because we have other "legal" drugs available to damage our body does not mean we should let all "crutches" be legal. Where does one (the law) draw the line?

One position is that in principle you shouldn't be thrown in jail for what you choose to consume. The other argument is that the state should protect us from ourselves when it comes to certain substances. If you are you are going to take the latter position then logically I would think you would want to draw the line somewhere on the spectrum of potential harm and then categorize drugs according. However that's not what we have, we have people ok with cigarettes and alcohol staying legal, yet wanting to ban vaping despite the magnitudes greater harm cigarettes cause.

My frustration is in seeing the absolutely arbitrary nature by which we decide which substances are legal vs illegal.

Also side note, I hate the 'crutch' analogy. Do we go around and kick out actual crutches from people with broken legs? No? Then why bash The guy using caffeine to wake up in the morning or alcohol in the evening to be more outgoing?

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    One position is that in principle you shouldn't be thrown in jail for what you choose to consume. The other argument is that the state should protect us from ourselves when it comes to certain substances. If you are you are going to take the latter position then logically I would think you would want to draw the line somewhere on the spectrum of potential harm and then categorize drugs according. However that's not what we have, we have people ok with cigarettes and alcohol staying legal, yet wanting to ban vaping despite the magnitudes greater harm cigarettes cause.

My frustration is in seeing the absolutely arbitrary nature by which we decide which substances are legal vs illegal.

Also side note, I hate the 'crutch' analogy. Do we go around and kick out actual crutches from people with broken legs? No? Then why bash The guy using caffeine to wake up in the morning or alcohol in the evening to be more outgoing?

I think "crutch" is very appropriate the majority of time, especially when it has become an addiction. It becomes "our" problem when it impacts society in any manner. I really would hate to add to the list of available "crutches" because of its impact on society.

We disagree; but it's ok.

Top Bottom