• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So its official. No Pelee Island (canada) vacation this year, and probably never again in our dream cottage we have been staying in. They have decided to stop renting it out due to Covid concerns. (I honestly doubted we could go due to protocols including mandatory quarantines, etc)

So other than the obvious ones (Mt Rushmore, DC/VA and area attractions, and Florida) any suggestions for a week long vacation? (that wont break the bank like Disney or a cruise)

Aaaaand GO!

3-4 day trips are also a consideration. Instead of taking a week, taking a couple days off here and there and spilling into the weekend to burn up my entire 2 weeks.

One idea is the floating cabins on Patoka for a couple days, with excursions from there. (Santa Claus, Evansville, Vincennes, etc) Only gotcha there is what to do with the fishing boat after we leave Patoka. I really dont want to drag it around the rest of the week. (or that might be one of the 3 day outings)

And we dont want to fly anywhere. Our budget is around $1500 for the week. And with my hotel points, we can stay at any hilton property for most of the week for free.

If youve never been, its a cool little island full of bed and breakfasts, rental cottages, etc. I recommend it when this covid crap settles out.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Springfield/Branson, MO has a lot of stuff to do. Silver Dollar City, if you are into amusement parks. Lots of shows to see. You have to go to Lambert's Cafe and have some throwed rolls. Then get down to Springfield and see the biggest Bass Pro Shop ever. Lots of nature if you want it, and some dang great lakes to fish in. If you drive, you can stop in St. Louis and see the Arch. And while you are driving on I-44, don't forget to stop at Uranus Fudge Factory. They always pack the best fudge in Uranus!

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg will be similar, but I prefer Springfield/Branson.

If you are looking for ideas similar to Pelee Island, you might look into Drummond Island, MI. I've never been, but I have several friends who go there every year.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Asheville or Brevard, NC are nice places to visit. I don't know your situation, but they have lots of hiking and fishing, if that's what you're in to. Moab, Utah is really nice (once again, very outdoorsy). Sedona, AZ is also nice. There's also always the big lakes in kentucky and tennessee. The above post also made me think of Holland, MI. It's very nice up there.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Asheville or Brevard, NC are nice places to visit. I don't know your situation, but they have lots of hiking and fishing, if that's what you're in to. Moab, Utah is really nice (once again, very outdoorsy). Sedona, AZ is also nice. There's also always the big lakes in kentucky and tennessee. The above post also made me think of Holland, MI. It's very nice up there.
    I might know a guy who could hook you up with a local guide.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I might know a guy who could hook you up with a local guide.
    That would be cool. Except wife is a die hard Buckeye. She makes me stop in Toledo at the last Meijer a mile from the border to get groceries on the way to Ambassador bridge so we dont spend any $$ in M*ch*gan. And then top off the tank at the duty free station. LOL

But I might take you up on that offer. One of our ideas is going up there to Henry Ford's place and hitting other stuff. I had the idea of making that part of the Mt Rushmore loop. We'd catch the Badger in Manitowoc on the way home and hit the MI sites. That way we'd get our ferry fix as well.

I also want to try Sault St Marie, Mackinack Island, and the stuff up there. Havent been there since I was a kid.

Wife mentioned a train trip. I got excited because I want to hit the Agawa Canyon Tour Train. I took that back in the 80s with Grandma. Then I remembered its in Canada too. Drat! Back then the far end was not improved at all. You literally got out of the train and wandered around a grassy area by the side of the tracks and had a light lunch while they switched the locomotives to the other end. For some reason I remember mine included Minestrone soup. Now its got a visitors center and other cool stuff to explore.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Amtrak is effed up. I went to their Plan your trip site. I see there is a line from here to Charlottesville. So since that goes through the rockies smokies, that would be cool. *plan it*

Their idea of an Amtrak trip from Indy to Charlottesville?
    "take a flight from Indy to Philly. Get on a bus at Union station and ride that to Charlottesville."

Uh, hey Amtrak? Where is the train in that train trip?

Last edited:

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Amtrak is effed up. I went to their Plan your trip site. I see there is a line from here to Charlottesville. So since that goes through the rockies, that would be cool. *plan it*

Their idea of an Amtrak trip from Indy to Charlottesville?
    "take a flight from Indy to Philly. Get on a bus at Union station and ride that to Charlottesville."

Uh, hey Amtrak? Where is the train in that train trip?

The Amtrak route from Louisville to Chicago used to include a Greyhound bus ride.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Estes Park, CO and Rocky Mountain National Park are doable in a week, driving from Indiana. I don't think there are any Hilton properties right in Estes Park, but there are some in Loveland, CO, not too far away.

Michigan is nice for a week's vacation. Mac Woods Dune Rides in Silver Lake is fun. Then head on up to Traverse City and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Finish up with Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island. Don't know about Hilton properties on that route, though.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    There are some great cabin rentals on lakes in Wisconsin. I've looked into them a few times. Northern Wisconsin is beautiful in the summer.

Lower Wisconsin you could stay near the Dells (Wisconsin Dells), then be able to go over to the Dells for a day or two.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are some great cabin rentals on lakes in Wisconsin. I've looked into them a few times. Northern Wisconsin is beautiful in the summer.

Lower Wisconsin you could stay near the Dells (Wisconsin Dells), then be able to go over to the Dell for a day or two.
    But are there farmers there? :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Which leads to an interesting question: Is the farmer in a valley, or is it really a naughty song and we didnt know it? (see definition 3)

That definition sure does change the context of that old song/nursery rhyme. :lmfao:

dell: noun
    A small secluded wooded valley.
    A small valley between hills; a little dale; a glen; a ravine.
    A young girl; a wench.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I don't get the humor, but northern Wisconsin is a lot of trees, and lakes.

The Dells is known for water parks, and tourism.

Though there are a lot of farms in Wisconsin. I even know some of them.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't get the humor, but northern Wisconsin is a lot of trees, and lakes.

The Dell is known for water parks, and tourism.

Though there are a lot of farms in Wisconsin. I even know some of them.
    The farmer in the Dell? Hi ho a cherry oh the farmer in the dell? Do I really need to come over and sing it? :):

Top Bottom