• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Well this Saturday was my first USPSA shoot and my first go at reloading 38 super.
    For the shoot I reloaded all my 38 super to about 1250 fps (Chronographed) using 115 JHP This was with the maximum powder the manufacturer recommended.

I was told during my shoot that I need to reload well above the manufactures specified values.

I currently have an Open gun and need to hit Major Power Factor; 165 I believe.

I was wondering if anyone would give me some pointers on the best powders, bullets, and primer combinations. From what Ive read I should use a light bullet (JHP prefered) with a slow burning powder as well as use small rifle primers due to the increased pressures of the minimum 165 power factor.

Last edited:

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    check out the Brian Enos forums. There are many discussions on load data for major 38 super.

my current 38 load is about 10gr 3N38 with Precision Delta 124 JHP, 1.24oal. 174pf. CCI SRP.

Disclaimer: Use this load data at your own risk.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Good idea to check out The Enos Forums.

I have loaded a lot of 38 supers.

There are some differences in the cases that are available.

38 super comp or 38 TJ are rimless cases that need a different shell plate(223) for Dillon 550.

The only powder that can make major with a book load that I know about is Blue Dot.

Some other powders that are good are WAP, WSF, AA#7, Check with Enos for the current crop of powders.

One thing of utmost importance is to use a chronograph for load development. It is pretty easy to go overboard with some loads.
    When I was loading for major, I did not see a need for rifle primers. I used pistol primers including federal with no problems.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Vhita Vouri N105 can make it without much problem but its a heavy charge. There are several powders that will make major, but they will all be slower powders, don't try doing it with anything semi fast like Bullseye, Unique or 231.

Top Bottom