Used 12 ga shells from trapshooting-save or toss?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I have recently begun trapshooting and plan on staying with it since I love it.

I generally will shoot 100 or so shells at a session. I have never reloaded and don't think I'll get into it but should I be saving the hulls for resale to a reloader? What are these things worth? The shells are just the Wal-Mart 100 round Winchester 1 1/8 oz 8 shot target loads.

Thanks

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Does this give you an idea what they are worth?

picture.php

Win AA would be worth keeping but the rest...

If you have a dry space with absolutely nothing else to do with it, then tie them up in free MaoMart bags until you need the space and then throw them away.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I used to reload shotgun shells. A mixed bag/box of shells is not worth much. I would save Winchester AA low brass and Activ 100% plastic shells (no longer available) and reload them. They eventually fail at the crimp, but its possible to get 6 to 10 reloads out of a shell.

Someone said $40 per 500, for AA that sounds pretty good, assuming the shells were NOT left out in the weather but were picked up at the end of the shooting session.

For a mixed lot I would probably not even pay half that amount, if anything. For shells that were left out in the weather I would not pay anything. JMO

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    Does this give you an idea what they are worth?

picture.php

Win AA would be worth keeping but the rest...

If you have a dry space with absolutely nothing else to do with it, then tie them up in free MaoMart bags until you need the space and then throw them away.

This pretty much says it all. I have reloaded shotshells since the 70s. I still can buy AAs or STS hulls for 40 bux per thousand. BUT these are premium hulls, not the promo shells that you are using. They really aren't worth much to reloaders so I would just toss them at the end of the day. Now if you start shooting STS shells, I will buy all your spent hulls....:twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Most trapshooters I know will take your hulls if you express no interest in them. They are generally very polite.......But will smile as they fill up their bag with your hulls.

gunnerkc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I save my hulls. I don't have my own reloader yet, but always find a use for them anyways. I made some really sick garlin for my Christmas tree:rockwoot:

Top Bottom