• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Not common, but not unheard of either for someone at that level to take their own life. Notre Dame grad, former J3 at CENTCOM...

Vice Adm. Scott Stearney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command and the U.S. Fifth Fleet, was found dead Saturday in his residence in Bahrain, U.S. military officials said.

No foul play is suspected, but the cause of death remained under investigation, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson said.

Defense Department sources told CBS News the death was "an apparent suicide."
    “This is devastating news for the Stearney family, for the team at Fifth Fleet and the entire Navy,” Richardson said, according to NavyTimes. “He was a good friend to all of us.”

Stearney, a native of Chicago, served as operations director for the U.S. Central Command before taking on the leadership of the Fifth Fleet in May, the NavyTimes report said.

He oversaw U.S. naval operations in the Middle East and Southwest Asia, including safeguarding the Persian Gulf, the Strait of Hormuz and the Red Sea, the New York Times reported. Stearney joined the Navy in 1982 after graduating from the University of Notre Dame, the report said.

Stearney’s Fifth Fleet duties are being assumed by Rear Adm. Paul Schlise, the fleet’s deputy commander.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-fifth-fleet-commander-found-dead-in-bahrain

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I saw the story as well.

Given the statements, not sure where the suicide comment comes from. It’s just as likely that some previously undetected cardiovascular issue side him in. There are some embolisms that can remain undetected and “blow out” suddenly and without warning. Happens frequently enough that that’s what I’d be leaning towards at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I saw the story as well.

Given the statements, not sure where the suicide comment comes from. It’s just as likely that some previously undetected cardiovascular issue side him in. There are some embolisms that can remain undetected and “blow out” suddenly and without warning. Happens frequently enough that that’s what I’d be leaning towards at this point.

So you think a gaping hole in his temple is an undiagnosed aneurysm? My point being the sources almost certainly had a reason for being able to point immediately at suicide. Either he hung or shot himself.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    So you think a gaping hole in his temple is an undiagnosed aneurysm? My point being the sources almost certainly had a reason for being able to point immediately at suicide. Either he hung or shot himself.

Where do you get “a gaping hole in his temple”? I haven’t seen any mention of that.

From the above, which is consistent with the two news reports I read:

“Vice Adm. Scott Stearney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command and the U.S. Fifth Fleet, was found dead Saturday in his residence in Bahrain, U.S. military officials said.”

“No foul play is suspected, but the cause of death remained under investigation, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson said.”

I would think is “a gaping hole” in his temple were seen and a handgun near the body or a rope or something else around his neck they’d be talking about a possible suicide or at least not make the “no foul play” statement.

It’s certainly possible that he Committed suicide, pills or something, but there’s nothing in the current statements to lead me to that conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Whatever the cause i'm sure Trump had something to do with it.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    RIP to the admiral.

I am not a conspiracy theory guy most of the time, but there are plenty of bad players in the Middle East who would like to see such a high ranking US official dead. Radical Saudis (which are most Saudis these days) Iran (which has a pretty efficient black ops group) and Syria just to name a few. I hope this is thoroughly investigated. Just seems very odd to me. :twocents:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The military SOP is to say "apparent suicide" rather than just "suicide" before a complete investigation takes place.

No rank or position is immune to suicide risk.

Top Bottom