• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arty8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Anyone hear of any changes to fees, staffing?

I was recently at the deer creek range and the dnr staff mentioned that in the future all dnr ranges might be staffed by private contractors and the fees raised to $17 per hour.

Cant find anything on the State or Indiana DNR website, thanks.

Thanks for the replies, my home state of Michigan has just two DNR ranges run by contractors..both in rich, urban areas...Deer Creek seems to be a little underused and remote for a switch to private contractors.

This range....like most was built from a grant from the FWS...paid for by the Pittman-Robertson Act. The 11% tax on ammo and guns that we all pay.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Ohio has a great DNR range system. Sort of wish Indiana would do like them. You get an annual tag for a Nominal $25 a year and can use any of the state ranges. Unlimited. My Daughter and Son in Law live by one in Spring Vally and it’s very nice

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Not surprised seeing how poor and understaffed the DNR actually is. They don't even get to keep the revenues from timber harvests for operating expenses anymore.
    Several years ago a state forester gave me a free estimate on my property for harvest. He said they use to allow the state to be involved in a sealed auction for the benifit of the land owner but Daniels curtailed it to promote the private sector.

So with that, sort of surprised the state hasn’t privatized more stuff before now

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Just FYI... Excerpt from DNR email:

Three shooting ranges’ fees increasing

Beginning in January, the fee structures for shooting ranges located at Kingsbury, J.E. Roush Lake, and Deer Creek Fish & Wildlife Areas (FWA) are changing. New prices are reflected below:
    • Deer Creek FWA: Rifles and pistols will be $5/day or $2/day for youth under 18. An annual pass will not be available in 2022.
    • J.E. Roush Lake FWA: Rifles and pistols will be $5/day. An annual pass will be available for $100. Fees for youth under 18 will be $2/day. The shotgun range will remain $5/session.
    • Kingsbury FWA: Rifles and pistols will be $5/day. An annual pass will be available for $100. Fees for youth under 18 will be $2/day.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Beginning in January, the fee structures for shooting ranges located at Kingsbury, J.E. Roush Lake, and Deer Creek Fish & Wildlife Areas (FWA) are changing. New prices are reflected below:
    • Deer Creek FWA: Rifles and pistols will be $5/day or $2/day for youth under 18. An annual pass will not be available in 2022.
    • J.E. Roush Lake FWA: Rifles and pistols will be $5/day. An annual pass will be available for $100. Fees for youth under 18 will be $2/day. The shotgun range will remain $5/session.
    • Kingsbury FWA: Rifles and pistols will be $5/day. An annual pass will be available for $100. Fees for youth under 18 will be $2/day.
    I think it was only $3 before, so this is good news!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Only one I've been to a few times is Crosley south of North Vernon. I don't even know if it's still open or if they charge a fee now.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Roush was $4 a day, so it's still not a bad deal. Very nice range and if you keep your receipt you can leave and come back on the same day and not have to pay again. They put a lot of money in it to make it much better and safer.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Clark state forest has been charging $5 a day for a while, or $25 per year, to shoot unlimited....not to be confused with open, or optics.......

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Haven't been to Crosley for a while but they were not charging anything even though they had a range officer there. It was the definition of unsafe before. A charge as mentioned above would not be unreasonable.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Willow Slough used to be free, but a few years back it was completely revamped and turned over to some private company. Now it's a pay range. Jasper-Pulaski is still free.

There was a small free one down in Sullivan Co I used to go to when I lived down there. I really miss that range. Idiots would trash it leaving junk targets there because you could shoot at anything, but it was free, and very close to Sullivan. (where I lived) I don't think it's even still open.

Top Bottom