• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Are the manufacturers doing anything like putting out a website that says if someone bought say a Springfield Saint AR-Pistol and its still in stock form, does it have to be registered as a SBR?

If someone doesn't want to deal with all this nonsense, can they disassemble the AR Pistol to a point where it is no longer an AR Pistol?

My friend has some lowers in the safe along with 3 rifle barrels and would rather just turn the lower into an upper but has some concerns because the lower's SN was recorded as a pistol during the sale.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Are the manufacturers doing anything like putting out a website that says if someone bought say a Springfield Saint AR-Pistol and its still in stock form, does it have to be registered as a SBR?

If someone doesn't want to deal with all this nonsense, can they disassemble the AR Pistol to a point where it is no longer an AR Pistol?

My friend has some lowers in the safe along with 3 rifle barrels and would rather just turn the lower into an upper but has some concerns because the lower's SN was recorded as a pistol during the sale.
    If your friend would like to sell me one of his lowers.....

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If your friend would like to sell me one of his lowers.....
    Well, my friend already has LPKs with them also. Just no upper receivers. But the one on the pistol could be turned into an upper receiver. At least that is the intention if it keeps from giving the Gov't info

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Looks like if the pistol brace is removed and the upper is removed then there is no need to include the ATF.

Last edited:

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    Excellent video from Marksman!

I'll have to check them out - a bit of a drive but probably worth it.

I am in the camp of thinking that any rule on the braces is going to be hit with a flurry of legal action.
    Chances are good with the Supreme Court's recent actions

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    If you buy a receiver it should be recorded as a receiver. Without a barrel it cannot be designated as a pistol or a rifle. The length of the barrel and presence or lack of a stock define the type of firearm according to the regulations. A firearm with a buttstock that has a barrel of 16" or longer is defined as a rifle. A firearm with a pistol grip, no buttstock is normally defined as a pistol. Of course the regs have some issues with consistency so absolutes don't exist.
    In any case, if you buy a lower from a shop and they put it in their book as a pistol or rifle than they are incorrectly logging it in their book. It should be logged as a firearm. Even if they do log it improperly the configuration you have built it in is what will determine its real classification, not the bound book and 4473.
    As with short barreled rifles, shotguns and Destructive devices, the configuration is what defines the classification, not what the dealer puts in his book.

Frank

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I think you can turn a pistol into a rifle but you cannot turn a rifle into a pistol.
    If I'm correct you can add a carbine or rifle buffer to the lower, and a 16" + upper you should be good to go.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom