• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all,

I've been out of state all summer and now plan on keeping my long gun in my truck again. Any new laws come up about storing long guns in your truck while I was gone? I couldn't find any, just thought I'd ask the :ingo: crowd. To my knowledge and what the interwebs have reminded me of are the following:

1. Rifle can have the mag in it, but nothing in the chamber.
    2. shotgun can have the tube loaded, but nothing in the chamber.

I also place mine in a rack not a bag.

Let me know if I am wrong on anything, thanks.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Hey y'all,

I've been out of state all summer and now plan on keeping my long gun in my truck again. Any new laws come up about storing long guns in your truck while I was gone? I couldn't find any, just thought I'd ask the :ingo: crowd. To my knowledge and what the interwebs have reminded me of are the following:

1. Rifle can have the mag in it, but nothing in the chamber.
    2. shotgun can have the tube loaded, but nothing in the chamber.

I also place mine in a rack not a bag.

Let me know if I am wrong on anything, thanks.
    Nothing has changed and you could always have one in the chamber but not recommended with a rifle or shotgun that only has a trigger safety. There could be a slim chance that a hard enough bump going down the road could set it off.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    there are no laws saying you cannot have on in the chamber. In fact there are not even references to anything regarding its loaded vs. unloaded status.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Law of common sense says it's stupid not to keep one in the chamber on a modern gun even shotgun. Carry lots of mags and carry on :):
    Negative. The safeties on 870's and 500's prevent the trigger from moving, not the firing pin or the hammer. They can still be inertia-fired.

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    ^^^^ This.^^^^ because you have time to get a long rifle out, but not to chamber a round. Safety first, lots of modern long guns can inertia fire. Maybe not likely, but I'll take impossible. Unless I missed something things actually got a little better, check out sb229. It made it legal to have a firearm in your vehicle on school grounds, did away with roaming school provisions, and then some. Anyways welcome back.:welcome:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    ^^^^ This.^^^^ because you have time to get a long rifle out, but not to chamber a round. Safety first, lots of modern long guns can inertia fire. Maybe not likely, but I'll take impossible. Unless I missed something things actually got a little better, check out sb229. It made it legal to have a firearm in your vehicle on school grounds, did away with roaming school provisions, and then some. Anyways welcome back.:welcome:
    There is some controversy that it only applies to handgun and the person must be a LTCH holder. I feel that it cover all firearms if the person can legally own it but I don't want to be the test case.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    There may be DNR regs concerning loaded long guns in vehicles. Not likely to matter in Indy or Hammond, but in rural areas it may.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Law of common sense says it's stupid not to keep one in the chamber on a modern gun even shotgun. Carry lots of mags and carry on :):

We fixed a Sheriff's office Camaro a several years ago when the shotgun in the trunk inertia fired during a pursuit, blowing a rather large whole in the quarter panel.
    For no longer than it takes to run the charging handles on my 930 or AR, I will keep the chambers empty on those.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Just don't get caught with a gun by DNR if you happen to be doing what they consider "spotlighting". That could be as simple as you coming around a corner and your headlights fall on a deer, so you stop to watch it. Depending on the CO, you might be in for a long night.

Top Bottom