• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I have an unthreaded barrel & recently bought an adapter that uses set screws to attach to the barrel. Anybody here have experience with these?

The gun is a 223.

Last edited:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    bolt-on threads and muzzle brakes are generally something I would rely on as a "last resort - no other choice" option. That's not to say they can't work, but they are a little more risky than other methods because set screws can come lose and cause bullet strikes.

What particular firearm are you planning to put this on?

lawrra

Master
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Attaching anything to a muzzle with set screws can have its drawbacks. One, being, that mounting off center can cause the bullet to strike the sides of your muzzle break and send bullet fragments in less than desirable directions. Two, you're driving metal into your barrel, tearing up the finish. Your best option is to have your barrel threaded.

whocares

Shooter
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    The only way I could see that being feasable would be a specific design thats specs are machined to fit your model rifle. If the front sight is back away from the end of the barrel enough for the barrel to fit into a coupler on the device. With enough barrel length in the coupler and set screws to anchor it I can see that working well. I cant imagine a one size fits all because even though it may be a 223 the od of barrels vary widely as do sight configurations.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    tolerances on the line up from the barrel to brake are extreamly small. basically there is no room for error. there is no way i would trust my gun or worse to clamp on threads

louielouie

Plinker
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I have an unthreaded barrel & recently bought an adapter that uses set screws to attach to the barrel. Anybody here have experience with these?

The gun is a 223.

roisigns,
    I have a Saiga in 7.62x39 that I wanted to put a muzzle brake on but the Saiga has an extension of the front sight base that is not threaded.

I bet I wasted $60-$70 on bolt on muzzle brakes before I had a gunsmith cut and remove the extension. Then I was able to remove the old Saiga front site base and put on a new AK-74 one that had the right threaded extention to fit most muzzle brakes.

To make a long story even longer, don't waste your money on those bolt on brakes. Save your lunch money and have a gunsmith do whatever needs to be done so you can use threaded muzzle brakes.

louielouie

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    use blue loctite on the screws and threads, keeps it nice and snug on the barrel.. you don't want it moving around

Top Bottom