• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I've been consulting with a underground rock mine owner (tunnels) that closed in the 50s and has sit mostly abandoned since.
    The state gave him a great deal since it was a slip, fall, falling rock hazard, and some idiots got lost/hurt inside, the cost was incredibly low.

It produced a specific type of limestone used in iron/steel production that changes in smelting process rendered obsolete after WWII.

It has a clean limestone spring that does about 35 gallons a minute, probably one of the reasons it went under, controlling water is a pain in the butt, and 35 GPM is a BIG spring.
    The reservoir was built, drainage installed for overflow.

I was contacted for powering the place, solar electric since the land has no power and the owner wants to be as sustainable as possible.

Internally the median temp is 63°F, the roof doesn't need to be netted/bolted according to the mine engineers, and it has some really big, long chambers.
    This thing has some tunnels 70+ feet tall at the top of the domed roofs, and it's wider than any mine I've ever seen (not that I've been in a lot of underground mines).

The south end is roughly triangle shape, slopes about right for low winter sun, and two 3foot wide (air?) shafts service that part of the surface.

He has installed about 1Mw of panels (5 Mw planned) but getting industrial panels, and everything else has been a challenge between tariffs & COVID it's been expensive & slow.

I know rock tunnel mines are in short supply since from the 50s everything is pretty much open pit, shelf blasting that removes everything, but this isn't the first underground mine that has been developed.

It's main business will be cool storage (food, documents, etc) but there are plans for private leases, one mushroom is sniffing around and many of the side tunnels (dead ends, no truck turn around) can be private storage.

60 to 120 feet of rock above the tunnel roof, self contained CLEAN water, comfortable temp year round...

Anyone seen stuff like this before, good places to 'Hole Up' if needed?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Theres a mine of similar-ish sounding conditions in Lewisburg OH. They do a haunted cave there around Halloween and then a hay ride on the other side to give a history of the mine.

Pretty cool place, i could see a place of that nature being a good spot to camp a couple weeks.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    One like that in Marengo, I think DOD still uses it to store MREs.

This place reminds me of Marengo, only larger.

Good parking lot that's bedrock, not much access from roads, which is probably why it set empty for so long.

No signs of toxins other than petroleum residue (long chain hydrocarbons) which makes sense, everything was gas/diesel back then...

If it weren't for the goat trail that takes a rock crawler getting to the top, I'd kind of like to have a house up there.
    Spent a few nights up there seeing how the land lays, watching the sun set & rise and it's really pleasant.

Three foot in diameter vertical shafts here and there, I think maybe air flow?
    I sure wouldn't want to climb 60-120 feet up/down ladders, we used a pole frame and winch for hardware, wiring, etc.

Would be a bad, BAD thing to find the hard way, I know why the state considered it a hazard!
    Why people pulled the bar grid welded/bolted over them off is beyond me...

The next plot of land over is a pit mine, big stone blocks and about 35-40 deep lake that's crystal clear!
    He's looking into that also, although I don't have any idea what you would do with it.
    It would take a small fortune to drain/keep dry, but it would be an awesome swimming hole!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Sounds extremely cool!

Any chance of harnessing the flowing spring to spin a turbine to generate power?

At around 35 GPM and no real fall head, I wouldn't think so.
    I'm not a hydraulics expert...
    Pretty good with generators (gears & wires) but I don't see enough energy in it for a micro hydro turbine.

It's a question of the mass of the water, then gravity adds energy (velocity/momentum) via fall distance, to produce the energy converted to electrical energy.

The 5 mW is huge, but the batteries will make or break the situation.
    They can't get the batteries we need, COVID restrictions, import bans/tariff war, etc.

On the other hand, cement mix is also having shortages, so building is slowed, so the time table is increasing...
    I'm hoping it doesn't bankrupt the project, this is going to be a mostly self contained, RE project in spite of all that's happening.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My older brother took me to a place like that near Bedford back in the 1980's. Let me just say we were not the idiots who got hurt/lost and probably not the same place as this one was easy to access. He was a member of the Indiana cave rescue squad at the time. It's been many years but it seems like part of it was marked as a fallout shelter and there was supplies stored in a few spaces.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My older brother took me to a place like that near Bedford back in the 1980's. Let me just say we were not the idiots who got hurt/lost and probably not the same place as this one was easy to access. He was a member of the Indiana cave rescue squad at the time. It's been many years but it seems like part of it was marked as a fallout shelter and there was supplies stored in a few spaces.

That sounds like Cave Quarries maybe which is South of Bedford.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    That sounds like Cave Quarries maybe which is South of Bedford.
    I just asked my brother about it and he mentioned it is close to Milltown and is probably still called the Milltown quarry. I won’t give any other location details and pretty sure it is locked up now due to idiots getting lost/hurt and anyone going there now is trespassing (disclaimer).

Edit: after doing some research I am not convinced that is where we went. Would have been around 1985. Oh, and that quarry (Milltown) has a very troubling history.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I’ve worked in a Underground dimensional limestone mine for almost 28 years, several people through the years have said “If anything ever happens this is the place to be!’ To be honest I’d rather take my chances outside.
    I can definitely understand both of those sentiments.

It's really easy to cut-off the entrance to an underground mine.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    There is a mine on South Harding street in Indy. Most of it is open pit, but there is an underground portion of it that extends underground a fair bit.

Top Bottom