• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    I have heard that a Indiana law exist on the sale of puppies under the age of 8 weeks. Their is a person at my work selling pups 6 weeks old and they said they never heard of such a law. What say you wise ones of INGO does anyone know for Shure ? will you please post the code if there is one? Thanks...

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    Thanks that is the only one I could find and they picked that it said,,Import to, or export from, Indiana for the purpose of sale UNLESS transported with dam, and that wasn't enough for them to stop the sales. Again thanks, it might be me but I still think 6 weeks is to early.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember reading a bird dog training book many years ago that pushed getting the pup at 7 weeks. He said you got better bonding at 7 vs. 8 weeks.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Some times the Bit-ch weans her young at 6 weeks , if the pup is eating dog food and off the mothers teat , then its time to be adopted .

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    My wife and I got our current dog at 5 wks, because we didn't know any better. We bought him off craigslist, and the guy claimed the mother had been hit by a car. He also claimed he was a pure bread english mastiff, which he clearly wasn't, so take that with a grain of salt. But he was cheap, and my wife fell in love with him.

He would eat wetted kibble when we got him, and he turned out healthy, but as I recall, it took some extra work by the vet to get him right.

I don't think I'd purchase another one so young, and per the numerous "talking tos" we got from the 3 vets he's seen, I wouldn't buy or sell a pup earlier than 8 wks.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We've gotten them as young as 5 weeks, but research tells me that there are advantages to leaving the pup with the mom and litter mates until at least 7 weeks. I keep reading that it is illegal until 8 weeks in Indiana, but i can't find anywhere where it officially says that!

GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    The mother does more than just feed the pup. She teaches it social skills, how to clean, basically how to be a good dog.
    I have no clue what if any laws there are but IMO it's worth it to wait for 9-10 weeks.

Top Bottom