• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RomanDad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Orange County CA
    Reid v. Covert (1957) a lot has changed since than "gun control" as a whole would have been laughed at mall & school shootings didn't happen every week. i'm not saying the un will storm the us and take guns.. but i don't think it would be wise at all to trust our government let alone another to protect our rights. take for instance their unwillingness to secure the border. confiscation of firearms, hiring PMC's etc during katrina, detention of ALL persons with japanese descendants in hawaii during ww2 and im sure there are a ridiculous amount of other incidents that give good cause to distrust the government or hold them to any "law" or "decision" they have come up with... afterall they propose the laws, put it into law, remove laws and enforce them, they count your votes, control what the media says etc so who's to say they're trustworthy to any extent. as far as im concerned just like electricity takes the path of least resistance politicians will take the path to more money and/or more power. after all if they didn't lobbyists wouldn't even exist

Its not about Gun Control, or how old the case is. Its about the Supremacy of the US Constitution to Treaties, which is WELL SETTLED law. It was one of the first issues the Courts wrestled with, and they have consistently ruled the way people worried about such things would hope they would. Reid is the standing law on the subject. Treaties are SUBORDINATE to the Constitution.

And speaking of lobbyists- Im a life member of the NRA. My 7 year old son is ALSO a life member of the NRA. I support the organization and the 2nd amendment fully. But I also beleive in truth in advertising. And every few years the NRA dusts off this little diddy, they hit the phone banks and the ILA email alerts, and they scream "The UN is poised to take your guns... Would you like to give us some money to stop them?" I personally find it insulting to the intelligence of gun owners. Maybe its me, but I find breathless, Chicken Little, scare tactics that play on peoples unfounded fears to be really cringe inducing. And then it starts shooting around the internet like the "Telephone game" and good intentioned people (and I have no doubt the posters above fit that description) through no fault of their own, pass it on because they have no reason to question the veracity of what they've heard.

The fact is its REALLY HARD to ratify a Treaty in this country. And thats a GOOD thing! It makes entering into highly controversial agreements with foreign powers unlikely.... There is a LOT more support for the Kyoto Treaty than there is for this dog... And yet the Kyoto treaty remains UNSIGNED after 13 years despite the last 18 months of Obama and a 60 seat Democratic Senate.

One- There will NEVER in my lifetime be 67 votes for a treaty to ban firearms.

Two- If there were enough votes it would violate the 2nd Amendment which the Supreme Court has now ruled protects an individual right to keep and bear firearms ordinarily possessed by law abiding citizens (Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns) and would be struck down before it could be implemented.

There are enough REAL threats to the 2nd Amendment without dragging out the strawman "UN Gun Banning treaty" boogie man every few years. All theyd have to do to get me to give a donation is say "Barbera Feinst" and before the last "EIN" was out Id have a check in the mail.

So the UN delegates are meeting to discuss this joke, and feel like bigshots, and pat each other on the back,.... And like everything else the U.N. does it will be a complete waste of time, and be absolutely meaningless.

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    You'll notice there is no comma after the word "Constitution" in the phrase "anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

That phrase is a single clause (part of the longer clause that begins by limiting the power of STATE Judges) referring to the laws of the STATES, THEIR Constitutions and subordinate codes. This is the "SUPREMACY Clause", the clause that says the Laws of the United States are Superior to the Laws of the States when they conflict..

Reid v. Covert (1957)

"[The United States Supreme Court] has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty..."

Reid v. Covert

Cameron is safe... This time... :)

I (thankfully) stand corrected.

Sorry about your luck with Cameron :laugh:

Top Bottom