• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would assume since it’s union that people in upper management are there for every reason except competence. That’s doesn’t surprise me in the least

I also agree that a college degree doesn’t make someone skilled. However it is a stepping stone and as you can see the professions I listed off have fare more educational requirements than just a college degree.

But you didn’t really address what I was speaking to. The wages for non-management UAW workers are identical to non-management private sector employees for the public at large. So why do you think they are entitled to a raise if they are exactly where the market is.
    Just to be clear, management is non union.

Personally, I don't think we are ENTITLED to a raise. I do think it's reasonable to ask for a raise when the big 3 has made 250 billion dollars in profit over the last ten years. I do think it's reasonable to ask when the CEOs have been given 40% raises over the last four years. I do think it's reasonable to ask when stock buy backs have increased 1,500% in the last four years.

The only thing I think we're ENTITLED to is the return of cost of living allowance that we gave up during bankruptcy and the company assured that we would get back when we returned to profitability.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    UAW-President-Shawn-Fain-Livestream-Update-9_13_23-9-13-screenshot.jpg

In case you missed this, I'll bump it again. Union labor is 5% of the cost of a vehicle. So convince me, why are we the problem?

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I know it frosted my ass when we didn't get a bonus partly because of the stocks EPS didn't meet expectations
    which we as worker bees had nothing to do with but the CEO thought he was worthy of a multi million dollar bonus.
    I called it "bone us".

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It always makes me laugh when people throw out the "unskilled" line. Upper management makes a LOT of money to completely **** up the operation. I could spend countless hours telling stories of the sheer stupidity we see on a daily basis that costs millions of dollars. Refusing to an oil leak because they don't want the 3 hours of downtime, but then complaining about the 1,000s of gallons of oil lost. Refusing to spend $20,000 for a part but then spending $80,000 in shipping fees to have that part expedited because now they need it. Ordering a lube alarm to be turned off instead of allowing it to be fixed, then crying about the 7 days of downtime to fix the seized parts. I could go on. But we're the unskilled labor. A college degree doesn't automatically make someone skilled.
    Management is not skilled labor, they are management. Union shop or not, they mostly get in the way and make things harder. The good ones know they are there to help those they manage succeed in their jobs.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know it frosted my ass when we didn't get a bonus partly because of the stocks EPS didn't meet expectations
    which we as worker bees had nothing to do with but the CEO thought he was worthy of a multi million dollar bonus.
    I called it "bone us".
    We saw that during bankruptcy. We gave up raises, cola, tiers, etc. but the top dogs still got millions in bonuses.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think most of the union hate is simple jealousy.
    How dare an "unskilled" person bust his/her ass and make enough money to live in their neighborhood.

Too many think they're special, because they got a degree.
    Big whoop.
    Many non skilled union folks have degrees.

Its that liberal thinking, that somehow they're smarter or special.
    They are too stupid to understand (or refuse to believe) that a lack of supposed sophistication doesn't always mean a lack of intelligence.

Worked salaried at GM. Saw plenty of stupid people with degrees.
    Saw some smart people that had none.

Its just people.

They had what they called "non degreed engineers". Some very smart folks in that.
    Of course they could only advance so far in level/pay.

Gotta maintain the clique, esp if you sucked as a degreed manager/engineer and had your office/cube all painted up w college decor LMAO

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    How dare an "unskilled" person bust his/her ass and make enough money to live in their neighborhood.

Big whoop.

They are too stupid to understand that a lack of supposed sophistication doesn't always mean a lack if intelligence.

Its just people.

They had what they called "non degreed engineers". Some very smart folks in that.

Gotta maintain the clique, esp if you sucked as a mamager/engineer and had your office/cube all painted up w college decor LMAO
    Spot on in my years of experience.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Just to be clear, management is non union.

Personally, I don't think we are ENTITLED to a raise. I do think it's reasonable to ask for a raise when the big 3 has made 250 billion dollars in profit over the last ten years. I do think it's reasonable to ask when the CEOs have been given 40% raises over the last four years. I do think it's reasonable to ask when stock buy backs have increased 1,500% in the last four years.

The only thing I think we're ENTITLED to is the return of cost of living allowance that we gave up during bankruptcy and the company assured that we would get back when we returned to profitability.

Ignoring the cola issue, why should the profits of a company have anything to do with your wage. You are paid for your labor. So am I. This is determined by the benefit you provide to the company. This has nothing to do with profits. If my company has a bad year I still expect to get paid my agreed upon salary. If they have a great year I still expect to get paid my agreed upon salary.

The worker doesn’t assume the risk. The company and investors/shareholders do as they are the ones that provide the capital and means of production. That means sometimes they will reap the rewards but sometimes they will eat the losses.

Now I don’t begrudge anyone asking for a raise, but that’s not remotely the same as refusing to work unless demands are met. And it may surprise you I don’t have any issue with people going on strike either. I just think the company should be able to fire and replace them if they choose to. That’s how this is supposed to work.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Big whoop.

They are too stupid to understand (or refuse to believe) that a lack of supposed sophistication doesn't always mean a lack of intelligence.

Its just people.

Gotta maintain the clique, esp if you sucked as a degreed manager/engineer and had your office/cube all painted up w college decor LMAO
    Which is the leftist view, collectivism or elitism? Sounds like a tossup these days.

I'm not sure where you are getting jealousy out of anything being said. I don't give a :poop: what anyone else makes. That goes for union, non-union, management, or executives. I worry about what I make and if I am happy with that, as well as the actual job I am performing. I stand on my own performance and reap the benefits of it.

Top Bottom