• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What benefits do you think company's and corporations would give employees if we didn't have any Unions?

We may get to find out in our lifetime's, if the unions burn it all down?

In my meager experience, the "evil :rolleyes:" companies and corporations hinge their labor costs according to what the market bears.

Let us not forget that a lot of labor cost is insurance/healthcare. Which makes healthcare workers going on strike at this time an interesting irony?

:scratch:

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    For one, if the employees vote to go Union, the owners just close that store or plant.
    You really think companies have a lot of ability to just move their operations.
    Some employers tell employees, you talk Union here, we will fire you.
    That's illegal
    I will ask this question, a plant in Lapel,In. It has a bit over 300 hourly employees, Indiana is a right to work state.
    You have the option when filling out ones paperwork to join or not join at that time.
    Zero Union pressure, you get the same representation with or without joining the Union.
    Why is it, that under 5 hourly employees are non union and the rest are Union?
    What does that prove? Peer pressure and view of unions growing up would probably explain most of it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We may get to find out in our lifetime's, if the unions burn it all down?

In my meager experience, the "evil :rolleyes:" companies and corporations hinge their labor costs according to what the market bears.

Let us not forget that a lot of labor cost is insurance/healthcare. Which makes healthcare workers going on strike at this time an interesting irony?

:scratch:
    Unions have been around for awhile now.

Labor Unions have been in the USA since 1768, that was the first strike.

When did Labor Unions start in the world, around 1810.

When one is working as a non union employee and you firmly believe you should have better pay, cheaper health care, better benefits and so on. Your options are very limited, you can complain up the chain and or threaten to quit. Thats about it.

With Union employment, you might have a few dozen to 25,000 brothers and sisters behind you.

Union people go to the doctors and hospitals also, If I need to go and they are picketing, I will shake some hands and wish them I hope you get everything you're asking for!!!
    And go elsewhere for my needs. I never have, nor will I cross a picket line.

Which brings this question again, what benefits would the non union company's give employees if Unions had never been started and are still here.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Again with this. 10% of workers are in unions. You think the other 90% only get benefits because of those 10%?
    Yes,
    Go to work in a non union car plant and start discussing voting to become a UAW's Union Plant.
    Go and work at a Walmart and do the same. You will see exactly the fear of that happening quickly.
    Don't kid yourself, you have benefits ONLY because of Unions. And just enough benefits to keep employees in line.

I'll give you this,
    And when the meat department of a Walmart store in Texas became the retailer's only operation in the United States to unionize, back in 2000, Walmart announced plans two weeks later to use prepackaged meat and eliminate butchers at that store and 179 others.

And this,

With 1.3 million U.S. employees—more than the population of Vermont and Wyoming combined—Walmart is by far the nation’s largest private-sector employer. It’s also one of the nation’s most aggressive anti-union companies, with a long history of trying to squelch unionization efforts. “People are scared to vote for a union because they’re scared their store will be closed,” said Barbara Gertz, an overnight Walmart stocker in Denver.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Which brings this question again, what benefits would the non union company's give employees if Unions had never been started and are still here.

As stated the first time, any benefit that any employee has, as part of their income, is what the market will bear.

Any company has to have a top line, before they can make a bottom line.

No one stays in business without customers.

:)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The same benefits the market demands…
    Then why have pensions in the non union employment almost vanished?

A total of 84,350 pension plans have vanished since 1985. This figure shocked Pulitzer Prize-winning authors Donald L. Barlett and James W. Steele, who just released their latest book, "The Betrayal of the American Dream." Their chapter on retirement chronicles the heist of the American dream's secure retirement by the financial elite and is a very important section of the book, says Steele, who spoke with the AFL-CIO about the retirement crisis. Steele says there is another number we should pay attention to: $17,686. That's the median value of 401(k) accounts in 2011. For most working people, the amount in their 401(k) account would pay them less than $80 a month for life.

"What's happening with retirement is almost parallel to what you see happening in other parts of the economy," says Steele.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    As stated the first time, any benefit that any employee has, as part of their income, is what the market will bear.

Any company has to have a top line, before they can make a bottom line.

No one stays in business without customers.

:)
    Walmarts year to end in Jan 2023, was just about 163 Billion with a net income of about 15 billion.
    They can afford to give pensions to the hourly associates.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Companies have realized that people are living longer lives than they did in the 60's, healthcare costs more and pensions cannot survive the modern market. So instead they can invest in 401k/403b matches while the employee works for them, helping assist in their retirement while not carrying the entire burden on their own. In modern business world this is a good long term move for the company to stay solvent longer and the pensioners not have to worry about their pensions vanishing because the company is gone.

If you are nearing retirement and you have under $18k invested for your retirement, you did it wrong. Way wrong. If you're nearing 50 and you've been working and saving for retirement and you're not well over 6 figures, you did it wrong.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Walmarts year to end in Jan 2023, was just about 163 Billion with a net income of about 15 billion.
    OK, lets do that math. 1.3Million employees. $40k a year retirement? 520 billion dollars. OK, we know not all 1.3M are retiring at once. 10% per year. Still $52B. Or almost 4 times their profit. I know you don't have to be smart to be union but I thought you'd at least have access to a calculator.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

You should run that company then. Git on in there. Show us how it's done!

We will see how the business proceeds. How Walmart contends in their competitive market.

:nono:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Ah yes we should all be on our knees begging forgiveness to the union gods. They’re the only reason I ain’t dead yet. :facepalm:

And why do you have to be a dick? I’m trying to extend an olive branch and you **** all over it. I get it. You’re a union boy through and through and no one not in a union is good enough. Got it. Just stop being a dick.

Top Bottom