• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    I guess I should have posted this a while ago, because I've already made the purchase. But does anyone have any experience with Midland 2-ways? I just purchased 4 GXT1000 radios for our church security team. We will be using them during Sunday morning services and events. Our building is about 30,000 sq. ft.

Was just curious if anyone had anything good/bad to say about them.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Are you using the FRS or GMRS frequencies? GMRS gives you more range, BUT requires a license ($85/5 years ??). I know most folks use GMRS without a license, but it is illegal. Just my 2-cents. -- Greg

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    Are you using the FRS or GMRS frequencies? GMRS gives you more range, BUT requires a license ($85/5 years ??). I know most folks use GMRS without a license, but it is illegal. Just my 2-cents. -- Greg

For now we'll stick with the FRS. If it's that bad, and we need the extra range from them we may look at the GMRS (think I saw $75/5). Either that or spend the money on "real" 2-ways. i.e. $200+/radio. But for now we wanted to try the cheaper version and see how far it gets us.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    You probably won't get any more range out of them on GMRS vs. FRS, unless some channels are preprogrammed to transmit at a lower wattage than others. The difference would just be chatter or other transmissions from the neighborhood kids down the street playing with their radios on the same channel. The good part is that they have the CTCSS subchannel that will make that unlikely. They should work well for you. I'd recommend a covert earpiece as well.

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    You probably won't get any more range out of them on GMRS vs. FRS, unless some channels are preprogrammed to transmit at a lower wattage than others. The difference would just be chatter or other transmissions from the neighborhood kids down the street playing with their radios on the same channel. The good part is that they have the CTCSS subchannel that will make that unlikely. They should work well for you. I'd recommend a covert earpiece as well.

Thanks! I purchased a pair of 2-wire surveillance earpieces as well. Now I just need a black suit and dark sunglasses :D

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Only way to go! :cool::@ya::shady:

Don't forget, it was an armed, prepared church security officer that neutralized the gunman at the mega church out west! Be proud, prepared and safe!

Top Bottom