• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Looking for some sort of soundbar or speakers for our Samsung TV. I want something that will give nice clear sound, but it cannot have another remote. Mama Snap is 89 now and is at her limit of different remotes and settings to fiddle with. I want something that will improve the sound but will not have to be turned on and/or adjusted every time we turn on the TV. Any ideas?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    for Most Soundbars - Once you connect and do basic setup - everything works from tv remote

Just make sure Connections match hdmi to hdmi -- optical to optical -- 1/8" to 1/8"

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    for Most Soundbars - Once you connect and do basic setup - everything works from tv remote

Just make sure Connections match hdmi to hdmi -- optical to optical -- 1/8" to 1/8"
    I've bought about three different soundbars and all have had separate remotes that have to be turned on and then scroll through different sound modes every time TV is turned on. Too many steps.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Yes the TV remote will do it all. I ran HDMI from the back of the TV to the soundbar. The soundbar comes on when you turn the TV on. Just be sure you turn the volume down when you shut the TV off.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I have 2 Samsung TVs each with a Samsung sound bar on Dish. On, off, volume all using Dish remote. Should be same if you now use TV remote for everything. Make sure everything is matched, connected, set up correctly. Personally I match brands, etc. too avoid potential compatibility problems.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You might also consider a high end pair of computer speakers with subwoofer if your TV has a headphone out jack. Then you just set the speaker knob for as much boost as you want and forget it.

I did something similar at our church. Our fellowship hall was large enough that if you were up front you were deaf at the end, and those on the far side of the room could still barely hear. So I installed 4 in-wall speakers at the 4 corners and ran a 120w amp to drive them. We just set and forget the volume knob on the amp and as we adjust the TV volume the speakers follow suit. And the volume was roughly the same in the entire room.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks everyone. I neglected to mention that we have a Roku and mostly use the Roku remote, unless we hop over to antenna TV, where we use the Samsung remote. I don't know how that affects things.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You might also consider a high end pair of computer speakers with subwoofer if your TV has a headphone out jack. Then you just set the speaker knob for as much boost as you want and forget it.

I did something similar at our church. Our fellowship hall was large enough that if you were up front you were deaf at the end, and those on the far side of the room could still barely hear. So I installed 4 in-wall speakers and ran a 120w amp to drive them. We just set and forget the volume knob on the amp and as we adjust the TV volume the speakers follow suit.
    I had considered something like this. Bose or the like?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I did something similar at our church. Our fellowship hall was large enough that if you were up front you were deaf at the end, and those on the far side of the room could still barely hear. So I installed 4 in-wall speakers at the 4 corners and ran a 120w amp to drive them. We just set and forget the volume knob on the amp and as we adjust the TV volume the speakers follow suit. And the volume was roughly the same in the entire room.
    That's basically what I have done with our family room/deck tv (although the speakers aren't high end by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't have a subwoofer! :):) It's just a cheap Visio 32" tv but it serves its purpose for us.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Thanks everyone. I neglected to mention that we have a Roku and mostly use the Roku remote, unless we hop over to antenna TV, where we use the Samsung remote. I don't know how that affects things.
    TV brand does not matter -- it is the Connection between the TV & Soundbar

HDMI is best because the sound Volume is relative to the TV volume ( using TV remote to control) but does cost more -- not all soundbars have HDMI connectors

Optical is next with same TV control

RCA / ⅛" most common but should be good with set volume on soundbar during setup - then TV volume changes

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    How old is your Samsung TV? Do you know what model it is? That would be good to know since some of the older/lower tiered Samsungs didnt have a HDMI/ARC connection. That would be necessary if you are going to use a HDMI soundbar. If your TV has a HDMI/ARC port, then you can use any HDMI soundbar, and the TV remote will control the soundbar.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It has an hdmi port. That's what we are running the route through. I need to. Check if there are two hdmi ports.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I also hate having to use a bunch of extra controls.

I went a different route. I had some JBL stereo speakers for a computer. They were a slightly higher end option for people who used their desktop computer for music. They have internal amplification to reach room filling sound level. I see similar sets on craigslist for $20 or so.

I just plugged them in the headphone jack on my flatscreen. no additional control functions needed. Happy with the performance and saved a few bucks.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    If your TV and soundbar both have HDMI ARC then all you need is an HDMI cable that supports ARC. Check your TV owners manual or look at the back and see if one of the HDMI outputs is marked ARC. The soundbar will use an optical cable if the TV does not have ARC.

I like the ROKU soundbars because the ROKU functions built in and the ROKU remote runs everything.

We do not have conventional cable, just streaming subscriptions.

I hit the on button on the ROKU remote, both the TV and soundbar turn on. Pick the streaming service I want and it's good to go.

Roku makes two models. I prefer the larger one. You can add a wireless woofer and extra speakers for additional money.

Edit: If you have a smart TV then external speakers connected to the line out on the TV will do the job, such as a good set of computer speakers or old stereo speakers.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Also, I believe some TVs may have one HDMI port that is ARC/CEC while another HDMI port may not be, so even if your TV is ARC/CEC just make sure that either all the HDMI ports are or that you plug it into the one that specifically is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also, I believe some TVs may have one HDMI port that is ARC/CEC while another HDMI port may not be, so even if your TV is ARC/CEC just make sure that either all the HDMI ports are or that you plug it into the one that specifically is.
    And at least on my Sanyo, its only HDMI1

Top Bottom