• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. What does SB292 have to do with anything? None of the shootings happened on governmental property.

2. If we have to "do something" about children having accidents with firearms then by all means let us implement mandatory firearms training in all grades in public schools. Testing should be implemented at grades 6, 9 and before graduation. Students must pass the final firearms exam in order to graduate. Shooting ranges should be installed in all public schools.

3. Handguns are not an addiction, they are a civil right.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A "reasonable discussion" about "sensible gun laws" is another way of saying "ban guns".

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    We ought to have a contest to see who can write the best rebuttal to Tully's column. You know, a rational discussion.
    I'll play. My answer's posted in the comments... should be page 3. ;)

Mr. Tully,
    You ask why you keep picking up the paper and seeing stories about people injured or killed with guns. If I may offer a suggestion of an answer, I would suggest that you look at your own profession. Here's why: A whole bunch of years back, near where I grew up, there was a young girl who disappeared. The entire community, then the state were looking to find this girl and another who disappeared about the same time. More and more stories posted began raising the question of why so many children were being kidnapped that year; indeed, they were posted nearly daily. Something had to be done, the news reporters told us.
    Funny thing, though, the next year, when the statistics were examined, there were fewer missing children that year than there had been in recent years before. The problem of missing children was simply a fact: Some became lost, some ran away, some were kidnapped, and it was simply an unavoidable fact of life: Bad things happen. Sometimes they happen by accident, sometimes by just bad circumstances, and yes, sometimes by the intentional actions of people with bad intent. We cannot prevent them all, no matter how much we might wish to do so.
    So why should we not prevent as many as we can? I agree. The method to prevent missing children is to educate them and to insure that they have a large support system of people that they can trust. The method to prevent negligent discharges of guns is to teach people how not to have them. Very young children can learn the 3 simple rules: Stop! Don't touch/Leave the area/Tell an adult. Older than that can be taught the more detailed rules that even adults must follow.
    If your goal is to protect them from anything that might hurt them, I would ask you: Should children be allowed access to knives? They have that access very early and have for many years in our country, but they are taught early that knives are simple tools. There is no mystery to them. Responsible use, not harm or injury (usually) follows.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    As with so many others he doesn't seem or want to understand the problem isn't guns, it's the irresponsible parents that don't secure the guns so the children can't get to them.
    Most PD's will give out free gun locks.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have an idea.
    Let's make shoot people with guns illegal, then no one will do it.
    Wait... never mind, it already is.

It's an extension of their own stupid logic.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is in response to Matthew Tully’s July 29th column “Can we please have a rational talk about guns?”
    Tully’s talk is not “rational,” rather it is based on an emotional appeal playing on the recent tragedies involving Indiana children. I do not wish to belittle the deaths of these children, but we can learn from these tragedies. The lesson to be learned from their loss is not that guns are evil and should be more restricted; the lesson is that people need to be more responsible. He says “It's clearly not hard for many kids to get their hands on a gun.” I agree, and I also think this needs to change – but not by making it harder for adults to get guns. Personal responsibility for these accidents lies with the parents (excepting the case of Jacob Michuda). Parents need to keep a more careful watch over their precious charges, and that includes keeping guns out of reach of children. The death of young Ash Wimbley is tragic, but what was he doing behind the counter of a liquor store outside of the watchful eye of his parents?
    Tully also mentions the recent law that took effect removing municipal “gun free” zones. I feel much more comfortable riding on the Monon because I now have legal protection to accompany my personal protection. Previously, anyone who carried a firearm for self-defense along the Monon committed a crime simply by wishing to protect him or herself. The rash of assaults along the Monon prior to this law taking effect was clear proof of the gun-free zone’s failure and its need to be stricken. How “gun-free” is it when people get robbed at gunpoint?
    Matthew Tully, if you want to have a rational talk about guns, be my guest. I would love to have a rational talk, not one based on tear-jerk rhetoric.

My letter to the editor.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    As with so many others he doesn't seem or want to understand the problem isn't guns, it's the irresponsible parents that don't [STRIKE] secure the guns so the children can't get to them. [/STRIKE]teach their children safe firearm handling and respect.
    Most PD's will give out free gun locks.

FIFY. I could leave a pistol lying on the floor and my 5 and 6 year old wouldn't touch it without permission. They know that if they want to handle or shoot a gun all they have to do is ask.

Last edited:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Maybe Mr. Tully would be better served to move to Chicago, IL where they apparently have "rational gun laws."

There are many, many "safe neighborhoods" that he could move into, most especially the "minority" neighborhoods, where apparently the police have been cleaning out most of the felons for some time now...

Let him move there and live there for some time, and then maybe he can tout the effectiveness of "rational gun laws." Maybe, better yet he could move to Moscow.

What a ding-dong (I couldn't think of anything "better" to call him without
    using a multifaceted version of the "F" word.)

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Matt should look in the mirror if he is wanting to place blame. Irresponsibility and lack of accountability are hallmark traits of Liberalism. I agree with what has already been stated a thousand times, education and holding people responsible for their actions are the key here. Natural Rights NEVER change, and people like Matt and his ilk, either through ignorance or blind allegence to a hideously destructive ideology, will never "get" it. My ancestors had a right to defend themselves with sticks and stones and my descendants will have just as much right to defend themselves with whatever phaser or pulse weapon happens to be the weapon of the day (which, I'm sure, will be a .45 caliber!)
    The fight goes on and never ends ...... :patriot:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    1. What does SB292 have to do with anything? None of the shootings happened on governmental property.

2. If we have to "do something" about children having accidents with firearms then by all means let us implement mandatory firearms training in all grades in public schools. Testing should be implemented at grades 6, 9 and before graduation. Students must pass the final firearms exam in order to graduate. Shooting ranges should be installed in all public schools.

3. Handguns are not an addiction, they are a civil right.
    #2 is a splendid idea. They teach kids about the dangers of unprotected sex, so why not. Of course we all know this makes waaaaaaaaaay to much sense to be of any use.
    A 30 min. class. Even if it's 1 day a week.

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Notice how they never ever ever consider teaching the kids about the proper use and safety of sidearms. Maybe they think their agenda is more important than anyones life.
    Think about it, they teach their kids not to play in the street, to brush their teeth, to go potty in the bathroom, to read etc. etc.:dunno:

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Matt should look in the mirror if he is wanting to place blame. Irresponsibility and lack of accountability are hallmark traits of Liberalism. I agree with what has already been stated a thousand times, education and holding people responsible for their actions are the key here. Natural Rights NEVER change, and people like Matt and his ilk, either through ignorance or blind allegence to a hideously destructive ideology, will never "get" it. My ancestors had a right to defend themselves with sticks and stones and my descendants will have just as much right to defend themselves with whatever phaser or pulse weapon happens to be the weapon of the day (which, I'm sure, will be a .45 caliber!)
    The fight goes on and never ends ...... :patriot:
    :+1:

Top Bottom