TSA issues? Claiming a firearm in my luggage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Has anyone flown recently on a plane after declaring a firearm in their luggage? Easy or hassles? Tell them at the counter? Two loaded magazines in the same gun case but the gun is empty? I have read the TSA page about 20 times but wonder if anyone has done this lately?

I'm going to Colorado in Oct / Nov with my wife for a hiking vacation. We are retired seniors and I'm more worried about the two legged threats while hiking more than the four legged. :) Anyway, Its been 8-9 yrs since I've flown with a gun in my luggage , and of course I claimed the CCW in my luggage at the counter. I have the locked case, and TSA approved locks. We also purchased the Apple AirTags to monitor our luggage on our iPhone.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Easier Than I ever imagined, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube.
    I did what it seems everyone does- got a HF lockable case and a couple locks, followed carriers policy on how to pack it up, and showed up a little early in case of any hassle and it was no big deal at all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First, check your airline's published rules and procedures. They can vary slightly from the TSAs.

I had always heard you needed to use a NON TSA lock. But it looks like that has changed. I'd recommend a non TSA because that requires your cooperation to open the case. (TSA locks means they have a master key that can open it whenever they want)

Ammo must be in ammo boxes. They specify the magazine can only be loaded if it fully encloses the ammo. Not sure what that means unless they mean like pmags with the cover that latches over the end? I'd leave the magazines empty and use the ammo box.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    You must also think of your destinations laws.

In accordance with Colorado law (C.R.S. 18-12-213) the State of Colorado will recognize a valid concealed carry permit issued by another state only if all of the following criteria are met:

The issuing state recognizes/honors a Colorado permit (CHP).The permit holder is a resident of the issuing state.The permit holder is in possession of a matching state issued driver’s license or a State ID showing that they are a resident of that state.The permit holder is 21 years of age or older.The permit holder is in possession of a valid permit.

Colorado does not recognize permits issued in the District of Columbia.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You must also think of your destinations laws.

In accordance with Colorado law (C.R.S. 18-12-213) the State of Colorado will recognize a valid concealed carry permit issued by another state only if all of the following criteria are met:

The issuing state recognizes/honors a Colorado permit (CHP).The permit holder is a resident of the issuing state.The permit holder is in possession of a matching state issued driver’s license or a State ID showing that they are a resident of that state.The permit holder is 21 years of age or older.The permit holder is in possession of a valid permit.

Colorado does not recognize permits issued in the District of Columbia.
    Oh, and Colorado is not your friend. The've gone blue with some rather draconian firearms laws. So tread lightly and make sure what you are taking is legal. Especially magazine capacity limits.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Magazines empty?

Depends on the airline. TSA doesn't care if magazines are empty if they are otherwise enclosed in a hard case.

Non-TSA locks on the handgun case. Key or combination must not be in the bag. I always lock the locking case to the frame of the luggage as well. You don't have to, but it keeps a baggage handler from easily slipping it out.

You'll open your bag and show the case. They will verify it's locked with non-TSA locks. Some will want you to open the case, others will not. Airline/clerk dependent. You'll fill out a little card that gets put in the luggage as well. If TSA wants to take a closer look, they'll page you. I use a foam insert equipped Pelican case, slide goes in one little cut out and frame in another. If I carry a revolver, cylinder open and I run a lock through the frame window. In both cases, x-ray immediately and clearly shows it is not operable. I've never been paged back to TSA.

Airline dependent, you may need to claim your bag from their office. It may be tagged like luggage that was lost then recovered and sent on. This is to prevent carousel thefts.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Before 9/11 I had a new employee process my luggage, which included a nice colt ar15. I signed the card promising the gun was unloaded and he proceeded to remove the ar15 from the case, holding it at eye level. He asked me in a loud voice how to tell if it was unloaded. He caused quite a stir and the line quickly disappeared.

Top Bottom