• ...and so much more!
  • Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Dear, Ingo

I am looking to buy myself a new christmans present. I am having trouble decided between the 9mm and 40 version of the gun. What do you guys think?

This new guy with be my new EDC with the primary rold of personal protection as well as home defense.

9mm:
    More capacity(19 in a mag)
    Less recoil 25-35% less
    cheaper to practice
    I have some 9mm reloads laying around
    I however do not know how the caliber is as a defensive round.
    I have no self defense ammo in 9mm

40:
    Lesser magazine cap ( 16)
    More Recoil
    No reloads lying around for practice
    I own a couple hundred self defense rounds for this
    I know the 40 and have trained with it.
    I feel like it would take less shots to to stop a meth head but i also have less shots to accomplish it.

So, anything I didn't think of? Can anyone justify less round capacity of the 40?

If i get the forty I will carry 180 Gr. If I get the 9mm I will carry the 147gr.

Do cops really issued only .40? WIll the 9mm not do the job?

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    3nd3p83l1ZZZZZZZZZ91r972bab900c3d18.jpg

Only substitute .45 for .40 since the .40 is a more powerful round than even the .45

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Whatever you choose, get it done before the 31st to get the free mag promotion.

Capacity shouldn't be your main concern with 16 rounds being the minimum in these two guns; a lot of 9mm handguns are limited to 17 round (factory) magazines or less. If you buy the .40, a 9mm conversion barrel can be had for $150-200 (add the cost of 9mm mags). The only physical differences between the .40 and 9mm are the barrels, hole diameter in the slide, and the magazines.

Get what you're comfortable with. The technology that goes into the bullets of today is insane.

As far as prices go: $550 appears to be the average for the black slide/frame and standard sights.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Pistol calibers aren't magic death rays,without proper bullet placement the power of the cartridge makes no difference.
    You stated that you reload, if you do the cost of ammunition isnt a huge concern. if you don't then you are likely to shoot the 9 more often because of ammo costs.
    I have two XDm's in 40, I chose 40 because I Shoot uspsa and I want to make major power factor. I have had no issues with these guns and I have fired over 10000 rounds through the oldest one.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    most importantly you need to just worry about how comfortable the gun feels & shoots to you.

what do you currently carry? what is current backup? think about consolidating to the same caliber for all your weapons in he long run that will be cheaper.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Shot placement is more important than what caliber you choose to carry. I currently own two 9mm's and one .40. I would have went with another 9mm when I sold my Xd .40, but I had to much ammo to try and get rid of so I went with another .40. I prefer the 9mm for several reasons.

1. Higher capacity: Some people might say it's only two rounds difference between the two. However, you never know when you might need those two extra rounds.

2. Cost: I get my 9mm for roughly 3-4 cheaper a box. May not seem like a lot but it adds up.

3. Recoil: My FNP9 defiantly has a much softer felt recoil than my FNP40. The softer recoil helps with accuracy and quicker follow up shots. That's why I carry the my FNP9.

As for the Xdm, they are a good gun. My Dad owned one for a while. He traded it not to long ago though. To me it's a bit big for a carry gun. That's just my personal opinion though. I prefer the feel and balance of the 3.8 Xdm.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    i prefer the 9mm, much more variety in ammo, cheaper to practice, easier follow up shot(i dont believe in that oss bs unless its a 44 or head shot). 1350fps + P is just awesome to me... i saw one guys 4.5 in witness with 115gr +p+ getting 1415fps on the chrono... me likey, me likey... something about 19+1 w/ carbon +p is freakin awesome, you wont be out gunned with that, plus the xdm match grade barrel= alot of dead bodies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom