• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Is there any trust left in this world? In your life?

It seems the older I get, the less I trust; or is it just a coincidence that trust is a dying virtue coinciding with me aging? I used to trust people until they gave me reason not to trust but now I do not trust; rather people need to earn my trust.

Government, police, neighbors, work associates, my doctor (the one I have now).....at one time I never questioned my trust for them and now, I just don't trust them.

I trust my faith in Jesus, my wife, my son and maybe a few close friends.

What about you?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Many moons ago I stopped believing in people. I used to trust people and have respect for others because. They would have to do something for me to lose that respect of them or trust in them. I soon learned that was naive at best. I then started everyone at a level more fitting to pond scum and made them convince me thru actions or words that I needed to elevate their status. Fortunately I meet many people that climb that ladder quickly and often attain heights that seem to be more and more unattainable. Unfortunately I meet many more people that even pond scum seem like "good people" compared to them.

Call me cynical I guess.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have always been distrustful of others, until they prove to me through their actions their values and moral character. As I have gotten older, they have a more difficult time gaining my trust due to all the crazy chit I see everyday.

The motto I live by is "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". I intend for there to be no second time!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This reminds of the saying about living "in an age of universal deceit".
    Being an old guy I've seen the changes in cultural standards. It's changed. A lot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are reading my mind. I also think it is because of experiences we have as we grow older.
    ^^This^^^
    Totally. As people expose themselves for who they really are and what they will do for themselves it chips away at out foundations. People in whom we put our full faith that would throw you under the bus to cover their butts or get that coveted position at work.
    As I grow older I seem to see right through people. If in fact they are empty vessels only doing lip service.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I trust people, for a bit. A former member here, Skulldaddy, said " Everybody gets 1 chance." It is all up to the individual.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I started not trusting people in grade school. First it was "friends" then teachers, then coaches, then strangers on the street. It graduated to co-workers, bosses, and the general population in my early twenties.
    Yes, I have trust issues for sure. I think most people are/can be kind and I can strike up a good, friendly conversation just about anywhere, but "trust?" well, that has to be earned. Sorry mate.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My problem was that I used to expect others to have the same virtues that I had myself. If you need a hand, and I say that I'll be there at 10:00, come hell or high water I'll be there at 9:55. If we make an agreement, there's no need for a handshake (you'll most likely get one anyway), or a written contract. My word is my bond. If someone is counting on me for just about anything, I won't let you down. It didn't even cross my mind that good friends and even family wouldn't do the same.

The reality is that as I grow older, I find that very few people have those same virtues. I used to expect them from everyone until they proved me wrong. Now, I expect the opposite until they prove trustworthy/honest/dependable. I have been burned far too many times to count. And I probably will again. But I have learned through experience to be much more cautious.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Trust is lost because the code most of us live by is not the code of the rest of the population. When winning became the only thing that mattered, not the code.

Name me someone who is embarrassed by their college or pro team that was caught cheating? Embarrassed by the actions of their church? Very few! We have largely lost the code...

Bring the code back!!!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Trust but verify.

Trust does get very difficult when you vote for an individual to go into government and they then melt into the swamp and very few do what they promised.

Top Bottom