• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Math is math. Whether you use a fractional system or one that’s base-10, the results are the same in the end. One is just faster and easier to use. Hence why MOA and MRAD both get the exact same job done in the long-range precision world. But because metric is superior, MRAD optics VASTLY outsell MOA and hold their value better. The only place that hasn’t yet been true is with America hunters because they can’t seem to wrap their heads around mils.

We made it to the moon first because we lured all the old Nazi rocket scientists here and put them to work rather than put them on trial. :dunno: ANYBODY can make it to the moon if they have a) the finances and b) the intelligence. What math you use is totally irrelevant.

So again, played-out. But nice try. ;)
    Won our independence in caliber not mm.

Besides....dividing an inch by 16 is much more precise than dividing it by 10.

Significant digits matter!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Won our independence in caliber not mm.

Besides....dividing an inch by 16 is much more precise than dividing it by 10.

Significant digits matter!

I hope you two are joking lol.

“Caliber” encompasses both metric and standard bore measurements. Strike one.

You can divide an inch by 10 sure, but inches aren’t base-10. You divide a kilometer/meter/centimeter/millimeter by tens. Strike two. The centimeter is closest to an inch, so divide that by ten. Which gives you a millimeter. Which is roughly equivalent to 1/32”. Which is “mOrE pReCiSe” than 1/16”. Strike three, you’re out! :lmfao: Math may be math, but it’s apparently harder for some than others… :rofl:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    A centimeter is less than half an inch. 0.3937008" to be precise. ;)

But really, that's the problem. We think in terms of "Well how many inches is that?" That has to be abandoned to convert to the metric system.

Yes, I’m aware. But tell me what metric measurement is, as I stated in the quote, “closest to an inch” besides a centimeter???

And I know. We’d all have to adjust. But most of us would make the change with some time and our lives would all go on just fine. With a few previously noted exceptions lol.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

You can divide an inch by 10 sure, but inches aren’t base-10. You divide a kilometer/meter/centimeter/millimeter by tens. Strike two. The centimeter is closest to an inch, so divide that by ten. Which gives you a millimeter. Which is roughly equivalent to 1/32”. Which is “mOrE pReCiSe” than 1/16”. Strike three, you’re out! :lmfao: Math may be math, but it’s apparently harder for some than others… :rofl:
    I just turned on the tv.. ...the field is 100 yards..

I win

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I just turned on the tv.. ...the field is 100 yards..

I win

Chasing balls is for dogs… :lmfao:

Also, while I’m sticking to my guns re: metric is better, I hope it’s obvious I’m just nitpicking for funsies and not trying to ACTUALLY insult anyone. Use SAE/Imperial if you want, just don’t stoop to the media’s methods (“the sinkhole could fit 427 washing machines”) lol!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

WUT?

A mil is 36" at 1000 yards, at 100 it is 3.6. divide by 10 clicks and it is .36" per click.

A MOA is 10.4" at 1000 yards, at 100 it is 1". Divide that by 4 for 1/4" turrets and it .25" per click, divide by 8 for 1/8" turrets and it's .125 per click.

MOA is more precise.

MRAD is easier to figure over distance.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    WUT?

A mil is 36" at 1000 yards, at 100 it is 3.6. divide by 10 clicks and it is .36" per click.

A MOA is 10.4" at 1000 yards, at 100 it is 1". Divide that by 4 for 1/4" turrets and it .25" per click, divide by 8 for 1/8" turrets and it's .125 per click.

MOA is more precise.

MRAD is easier to figure over distance.

I was *specifically* replying to the comment of “dividing an inch by 16 is more precise than dividing it by 10” crap posted above. Meaning that a millimeter (1/10 of a cm) is smaller than 1/16 of an inch. That’s it lol. Nobody has a 1/10MOA per click turret or a 1/16 that I’m aware of, though the BR crowd does use 1/8MOA.

Trust me, I’m well aware that MOA is more precise, and I’m also well aware that unless you’re shooting at stationary KD targets from a bench, the “on-the-fly” math is easier with mrad as you just demonstrated for us (who’s doing calculations based off .125/click in their head?) haha.

Also, if we’re splitting hairs, it’s actually 10.47” at 1000. ;)

Top Bottom