• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Yeah, I know....a matter of opinion, mainly.

Anyways, I have two pistols that the triggers don't fit my finger. OEM triggers, curved and hinged. I want to replace them. My choices come down to getting a flat faced trigger, or one with a standard-ish curved trigger. Hundred bucks a pop, least expensive one I can find for my guns. Before I spend the money, I want opinions - YOUR opinion - as to which you like best, and hopefully why you like it.

Thanks, y'all!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't like flat faced triggers.

It's my opinion that they feel heavier for the same given weight than a curved face.

The best feel, to me, is a very wide curved face trigger that exactly matches the contour of my finger.

This is the best feeling trigger I own:
    TnfB1Ue.png

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I hate the flat triggers too, I honestly don’t understand their appeal. Less finger contact and less “feel“, and for me that equals less control.

They just feel so “unnatural“.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I don’t really like triggers with a deep curve to them (like a J-frame), and I’ve never owned a flat trigger. I have owned a bunch of handguns and I think this is just about perfect… Somewhere in between.

Attachments

• 0F56E3C7-4E32-4761-832A-15C0984E2658.jpeg
      0F56E3C7-4E32-4761-832A-15C0984E2658.jpeg
      763.3 KB · Views: 12

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I like and own both. I think it's just as you stated personal preference. One "benefit" of a flat trigger is if you have longer fingers it can extend your "reach" I guess you'd call it.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I had a flat trigger installed to increase the "LOP" a little bit vs the curved trigger. I would have liked a curved trigger better, but the flat trigger is better than the curved one given the stock position.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I don't like flat faced triggers.

It's my opinion that they feel heavier for the same given weight than a curved face.

The best feel, to me, is a very wide curved face trigger that exactly matches the contour of my finger.

This is the best feeling trigger I own:
    TnfB1Ue.png
    I'm gonna have to look into that one!

CWMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Jasper county
    I've never really gave it much thought until I read this post. I always practice with pistols I carry and get used to the trigger either flat or curved. Now on a long distanced scoped rifle I prefer to settle in on a curved trigger.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I prefer the curved trigger by far. There's more contact area with your finger, and it rolls more naturally when pulled. I can shoot a flat trigger just fine, but I just can't get comfortable with the way it feels.

I actually have a P320 coming with a flat trigger in it, and I've already bought a curved trigger to swap into it when it gets here. I just don't see the logic in having one gun with a trigger that's different from all of my others.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I've never really gave it much thought until I read this post. I always practice with pistols I carry and get used to the trigger either flat or curved. Now on a long distanced scoped rifle I prefer to settle in on a curved trigger.
    My buddy’s AR has a flat trigger. No matter how I tried to stage it I just couldn’t figure out where it was gonna break and sometimes unexpectedly at that.

A curved trigger gives me the ability to put the pad of my finger on the spot that feels best, sometimes that’s deep into the curve and sometimes it’s near the edge depending on that particular firearm and the weight of the trigger pull.

With a flat trigger you can place your finger either high center or low depending on the leverage you need but it just never feels “comfortable“ anywhere.

Plus, I am with 92FS, it’s different than all of the guns I’ve ever owned or fired.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Consistency is the key to good shooting, defensive or target or hunting. To me, although I’ve never shot one, a flat trigger introduces the variable of being able to pull closer or further from the pivot, meaning the shooter is actually changing the amount of effort it takes to break the shot. That makes no sense to me.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I was thinking the same as the above post. I've got both. The flat is okay but I sort of lose my reference point for finger placement. That being said, I shoot both well. I just don't like the flat look.

Agreed on them being a bit fadish... Although I'd argue they are nothing new
    downloadfile.jpg
    No real point in buying flat. Curvy all the way.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I’ve got both factory flat faced (Sig x5) and curved (Sig and M&P) while either is fine I don’t have a have to have over the other. Reason 1 So for that I wouldn’t spend the money for an aftermarket.

Reason 2 in 30 some years of going to matches, or running a line or going to several of the training classes I have been to anytime I see any striker fired gun fail it’s more times than not an aftermarket trigger or trigger job.

I’d shoot a couple thousand rounds through and try and get use to the trigger but that’s just my experience.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am not changing the triggers just to change the triggers. After a few magazines shot at the range, my trigger finger hurts. The way the OEM trigger is designed does NOT fit my finger. I don't want to spend $200+ for a fancy trigger kit combo that will increase my scores, nor am I seeking the proverbial "hair trigger" setup. I just don't want to tear up my finger when I shoot.

Apex Tactical is the place with the least expensive kit. I have talked to them, and I will HAVE to get a trigger kit, due to the way they made the trigger. I can also use the right spring combo and keep the trigger pull very close to what it is right now, which is what I want.

I was just curious, since I can get either curved or flat, which one peoples liked, and why. Overall, it seems curved is the preference, and the one comment about having a more standard trigger style across all my guns makes sense.

Top Bottom