Tree trimming question (for the legal minds)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    If person X has a tree with branches that overhang the property line onto person Y’s land, my understanding is that Y is allowed to trim those overhanging branches back to the line as long as the work doesn’t damage the tree to the point where it dies. Assuming Y pays money to perform the trimming, does X have any legal responsibility to reimburse Y for those costs, either partially or fully?

Granted, cost sharing would be the neighborly thing to do, but I’m only asking about what is or is not legal in this post. Thanks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm guessing 'no'.

If person X cut the entire tree down, would you feel responsible for helping him/her pay for that?

ETA: Seems like I read one time that you also can't trim that tree back not only where it would kill it but if it would make it a hazard to your neighbor. I'm thinking that would be if your trimming shifted the center of gravity such that it made it more likely to fall onto them.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do know that if trees do tread onto person y ‘s property and could be a danger to person y’a property. person y must send a registered letter to person X stating the danger.

If such letter is sent the person X is responsible for the out of pocket insurance cost and the insurance claim then falls on person X not person y.

Also know the easy way to **** off a neighbor is for person y to take a chain saw to a tree which resides on personx ‘s property.

That said a nice friendly beer and hamburger discussing time face to face or to move into an area (like me) where neighbors houses are not close enough to matter much. Worst case is some fence damage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I do know that if trees do tread onto person y ‘s property and could be a danger to person y’a property. person y must send a registered letter to person X stating the danger.

If such letter is sent the person X is responsible for the out of pocket insurance cost and the insurance claim then falls on person X not person y.

Also know the easy way to **** off a neighbor is for person y to take a chain saw to a tree which resides on personx ‘s property.

That said a nice friendly beer and hamburger discussing time face to face or to move into an area (like me) where neighbors houses are not close enough to matter much. Worst case is some fence damage.
    This. And yes you are legally able to cut ANY part of the tree on your side of the property line, Including roots.
    But you cant trespass to get to it. If you cant reach the limbs from your side of the line for some reason, no go.

This was discussed here on INGO at length a year or so ago.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This. And yes you are legally able to cut ANY part of the tree on your side of the property line, Including roots.
    But you cant trespass to get to it. If you cant reach the limbs from your side of the line for some reason, no go.

This was discussed here on INGO at length a year or so ago.
    Can not reach due to having to cross property line or due to Height ?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can not reach due to having to cross property line or due to Height ?
    Maybe you have something on your side of the fence that prohibits you from getting to it. Like a swimming pool. Maybe you cant climb onto the roof of a mini barn sitting at the edge. or said structures are too close to get a ladder safely in between.

Whatever the reason, if you cant get it from your side, and you cant get the blessing of the neighbor to walk in his yard, you cant cut. (maybe the neighbor doesnt WANT you to cut so they say no, for instance)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Maybe you have something on your side of the fence that prohibits you from getting to it. Like a swimming pool. Maybe you cant climb onto the roof of a mini barn sitting at the edge. or said structures are too close to get a ladder safely in between.

Whatever the reason, if you cant get it from your side, and you cant get the blessing of the neighbor to walk in his yard, you cant cut. (maybe the neighbor doesnt WANT you to cut so they say no, for instance)
    Too close to get a ladder in between? Where is yours sense of adventure lol. So basically if you can reach it while staying on your property you are good to go.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Just had this. Big hickory tree in our yard fell on back neighbors yard, jacking the roof on his shed and fence. Our insurance said “ his issue unless the notified you beforehand”.

Offered neighbor cash to help offset the deductible, he declined as insurance paid enough to completely compensate for damage.

Got tree service to proactively trim trees on my lot line. Other back neighbor for pissed, liked the trees. Said, ok, you trim what is on your property, I’m done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Properly drilled hole and placement of proper demo charge makes, "small phmp". Then slow fall of tree with roots severed.

:That's what my friend told me.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Properly drilled hole and placement of proper demo charge makes, "small phmp". Then slow fall of tree with roots severed.

:That's what my friend told me.
    A hole full of copper sulfate may or may not kill a tree. Dig deep hole close to tree. Fill with granular Cu, replace dirt and sod. Water. Watch.

Top Bottom