• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I have a noob question. I’ve spent the last few days searching the site and have maybe come up with an “answer” to my problem, but would like your input.

I own a cap and ball revolver which I inherited from my father-in-law about 5 years ago. It is a replica; not an authenic antique. I have never fired it. It needs to be cleaned and probably inspected, if not repaired. In fact I would consider it not to be in working order. My uncle, who is a black powder enthusiast and reenactor, has invited me to his home in rural southern Illinois. He wants me to bring the Colt.

I do not have LTCH, making it illegal for me to transport in Indiana, but from what I’m reading, perfectly legal to transport in Illinois under the Federal transport law as long as it is in a locked box. I have no ammunition.

My uncle is terminal and will likely pass on before I can get the LTCH, so I think I have only two options here – break the law or not take the gun.

My question – assuming I am stopped, what is the likelihood of me selling a story that I am taking the Colt to a gunsmith near my uncle’s home? Am I just being totally silly here, yeah I know this sounds like an excuse a 3rd grader would make up. OK have at it.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am a former police officer. I have posted before and some people will say I am wrong here but here it is from a PD standpoint. Yes the way the IC is written it makes that statement however, if it is not loaded it's hard for the officer to have a good faith belief you are not transporting to or from a gunsmith, place of sale repair etc. Normally transporting a handgun (unloaded) is not an issue unless you are stopped and are involved in other criminal offenses when the handgun is discovered ie DUI, having drugs, stolen property wreckless driving etc. If you are just stopped for 10 MPH over and say you are given a summons to appear for it by a 21 year old right out of the academy it is hard for the prosecutor to prove especially with something that old and no ammunition in the firearm that you were not transporting to a place of repair, sale etc!

As far as being a Curio and Relc I'm not sure how that works with the reproduction black powder. Never had that come up before.

My uncle came down with cancer and passed within 2 months so I know the boat you in. Go give him some good company that he deserves!

Good luck!

Top Bottom