• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    So here's the deal. I'm heading out soon to a wedding in CA followed by a week of vacation traveling around the state. I know that CC is absolutely not an option, but can I even bring a gun and travel with it in a rental car? I figure the gun and ammo would have to be separate, but would I even be allowed to have a gun with me?

I grew up in CA, went to college there, left and have never looked back. But, I do seem to end up there once a year for some reason.

I've also never checked a firearm on an airplane, so that's got me reasonably intimidated.

Any thoughts, suggestions or guidance?:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    *IM NOT A LAWYER, SO DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING ADVICE AS SUCH*

Im not sure. Kommiefornia has always had wild gun hating laws. I too am glad I moved out of Socal all those years ago.

Your best bet, would be to have the pistol out of drivers reach, in a locked box, unloaded, and mag out of the pistol.

Personally, I would have the slide off the pistol.

If you were pulled over, and the case goes to trial, at most you would be found as "Lack of Intent."

Now all of this is basically useless if the matter arose that you really needed it....

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    contact the airport regarding their policy on flying/checking your weapon.
    contact the local law enforcement in the area for further
    guidance, local policy

(if you fall under law enforcement officers safety act it cures a few headaches)

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Don't feel to freaked out flying with a gun. A friend of mine just flew back to Arizona with one. I can't remember who he flew with but it was a breeze. Check with your specific carrier for their procedure (call, don't just go off their website), but his went something like this. He had to have the gun unloaded and secured in a lockable hard case. He had to present the case to the inside checking clerk(not curbside) and declare that he was checking a firearm. They tag it and send it immediately down for a TSA inspection. TSA gives a thumbs up or down. He got a thumbs up and was on his way. Not sure what happens with a thumbs down.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I've also learned that I can only have 10 round magazines. The only pistol that I even own 10 rounds mags for is my Glock 20.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Don't feel to freaked out flying with a gun. A friend of mine just flew back to Arizona with one. I can't remember who he flew with but it was a breeze. Check with your specific carrier for their procedure (call, don't just go off their website), but his went something like this. He had to have the gun unloaded and secured in a lockable hard case. He had to present the case to the inside checking clerk(not curbside) and declare that he was checking a firearm. They tag it and send it immediately down for a TSA inspection. TSA gives a thumbs up or down. He got a thumbs up and was on his way. Not sure what happens with a thumbs down.

Also...

DO NOT give TSA the key or the combination to the lock. It's part of their own protocol. They will ask. It's not allowed. Take a copy of the rules to show them that you are not allowed to give them the key or the comination. You must go with the gun case to the inspection area and unlock it for them.

DO NOT use a TSA approved lock (the ones with the TSA master keys)

YOU MUST retain the key at all times.

After the inspection you part ways with your gun case/luggage and it is checked.

Top Bottom